Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying family home advice

Options
  • 21-09-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,
    My husband and I want to buy his family home. His father will build a granny flat from the proceeds. In order to proceed, we need to find out the tax implications associated for both parties and to put his mind at ease. Can someone advise who would be best to answer our questions? Not sure if it is a solicitor, an accountant or financial advisor.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If he is on a means tested state pension, then any surplus cash he has left may dilute that payment, look it up on sw or citizens advice websites, look at rules re assets other than FH..

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,117 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Your father-in-law building a granny flat on what is now property belonging to you and your husband is making a gift to you (by enhancing the value of your property). This is in principle liable to CAT.

Presumably there's an agreement in turn that your father-in-law will have the right to occupy the granny flat for his life. That will reduce the value of the gift he is making, but it will still be a valuable gift.

So, you need tax advice. Either a solicitor or an accountant should be able to give this, but you'll need a solicitor anyway to deal with the sale and purchase of the property, so pick one who is happy to address the tax aspects of the construction of the granny flat as well.

Advertisement