Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'd be buying a new one, can you order it from Airwire online or do you have to ring them up to order?

I rang them directly. It's possible they no longer do this for non customers. They seem to have the same pricing still listed on their site - 95 Euro for the 7530 (plus I paid 10 Euro delivery fee).

Digiweb let customers buy additional 7530s as well for around the same price but there's more hoops to jump through and airwire was far easier to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

LoGiE wrote: »
    Ordered last Thursday and got a confirmation email about an hour after that. I haven't heard a thing since. Gave up on their Customer Care (1908) after 60+ minutes on hold. I'll now try What's app...

Anyone have any idea's on how to contact them to check the status of my upgrade?

I got a call today from the rep that originally put my order through.

Basically it turned out that no deal could be applied to the order directly as it wasn't allowed. She apologized for the mistake, she even credited my account the same value as the offer to still give me the same deal overall.

Within a few hours I had message for delivery tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Still no service and no call back (was promised before 5PM). Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Tempora wrote: »
    Still no service and no call back (was promised before 5PM). Sigh.

I had to register a formal complaint at this stage.
    I was told earlier it could be up to 2 business days before it will be provisioned. Its a shambles of a launch.

I had to register a formal complaint at this stage.
    I was told earlier it could be up to 2 business days before it will be provisioned. Its a shambles of a launch.

I have no internet now at all via Virgin, I tried to plug my old modem back in and although it does seem to connect up (DOCSIS completes connection), I get assigned an address in the 10.0.0.0/8 range (internal only) and phone reports line down.

I am curious what messages you get in your logs on the new Arris, I'm reporting the following:

DS Power: 0.79 dBmV
    Downstream SNR: 38.9 dB
    Upstream Power: 43.02 dBmV

Which all seem in range for DOCSIS 3.1, even if my SNR is a little on the lower end.

Network Log:

Tue 25/08/2020 17:50:18 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Tue 25/08/2020 17:50:59 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Tue 25/08/2020 17:51:12 3 TFTP failed - configuration file NOT FOUND;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

(I've redacted the mac addresses out of caution, doubt they'd be any use anyway but best to be safe)

I'm not going to plug it back in until I get word it works. No sir-e-bob.
    Tempora wrote: »
    I have no internet now at all via Virgin, I tried to plug my old modem back in and although it does seem to connect up (DOCSIS completes connection), I get assigned an address in the 10.0.0.0/8 range (internal only) and phone reports line down.

I am curious what messages you get in your logs on the new Arris, I'm reporting the following:

DS Power: 0.79 dBmV
    Downstream SNR: 38.9 dB
    Upstream Power: 43.02 dBmV

Which all seem in range for DOCSIS 3.1, even if my SNR is a little on the lower end.

Network Log:

Tue 25/08/2020 17:50:18 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Tue 25/08/2020 17:50:59 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Tue 25/08/2020 17:51:12 3 TFTP failed - configuration file NOT FOUND;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

(I've redacted the mac addresses out of caution, doubt they'd be any use anyway but best to be safe)

I'm not going to plug it back in until I get word it works. No sir-e-bob.
    Fair enough haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Just ordered 1Gig wifi earlier today. Wouldnt have done so if I had known the teething issues that folks are having.
    Has anyone actually upgraded and used the service without any issues as of yet?

With that amount of d/l available, the best thing to do would be to use a wifi 6 mesh system. That should eliminate black spots around the mid size to larger homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I spoke with sales earlier and they confirmed the upload is 100mb and not the 50 on their site.

So might order once people actually why it working :-p

• Advertisement

I spoke with sales earlier and they confirmed the upload is 100mb and not the 50 on their site.

So might order once people actually why it working :-p

Glad to hear.

My modem arrives tomorrow, hoping provision issues are resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

deravarra wrote: »
    Just ordered 1Gig wifi earlier today. Wouldnt have done so if I had known the teething issues that folks are having.
    Has anyone actually upgraded and used the service without any issues as of yet?
    Yep, zero issues. Direct swap for me. Noticed that I lost my Internet access around 6pm on the old router, so took the opportunity to swap this one in, and it has worked flawlessly. TV box swapped also, and it's a big improvement.

Yep, zero issues. Direct swap for me. Noticed that I lost my Internet access around 6pm on the old router, so took the opportunity to swap this one in, and it has worked flawlessly. TV box swapped also, and it's a big improvement.

good to know.
    If I could ask you a few q's?
    How big (roughly) is the area you want coverage in? Is the wifi signal good enough for this or are you going to use a mesh system?
    Have you done a speed test over wifi? If so, what device were you using and what speed did you get?

Just asking for everyone else's info. I will share my user experience with it once set up and running.

good to know.
    If I could ask you a few q's?
    How big (roughly) is the area you want coverage in? Is the wifi signal good enough for this or are you going to use a mesh system?
    Have you done a speed test over wifi? If so, what device were you using and what speed did you get?

Just asking for everyone else's info. I will share my user experience with it once set up and running.
    3 bed semi-d - and wifi coverage is perfect. Having said that, I never had problems with wifi coverage with the old router. I have a couple of devices outside the house and they are reporting that their access to the router is fine. No need for a mesh system in my house.

Getting a consistent 400Mbps down, 50Mbps up, with a ping of 11ms on both a laptop (wifi) and Samsung S20. Will try wired later. Most importantly to me, no outages (though it's only been a day). The old router was dropping our connection a few times a day, as reported by a wired synology device, that logs dropped connections. No such reports yet, but again, early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bobchowhut

once you put it through router you will not get 1gb yo get your slower device speed

bobchowhut wrote: »
    once you put it through router you will not get 1gb yo get your slower device speed
    Clearly.

• Advertisement

3 bed semi-d - and wifi coverage is perfect. Having said that, I never had problems with wifi coverage with the old router. I have a couple of devices outside the house and they are reporting that their access to the router is fine. No need for a mesh system in my house.

Getting a consistent 400Mbps down, 50Mbps up, with a ping of 11ms on both a laptop (wifi) and Samsung S20. Will try wired later. Most importantly to me, no outages (though it's only been a day). The old router was dropping our connection a few times a day, as reported by a wired synology device, that logs dropped connections. No such reports yet, but again, early days.

4 bed detached with large back garden at mine. I'm using bridge mode on hub 3 and TPLINK Deco M5 is my mesh setup. I never get more than 360 standing beside the main router, and the most I ever get beside the satellites is about 160 - which is a bit disappointing. Still, 50 mb upload is solid throughout the house.
    Once I go outside, that's where the problems start, and the good coverage and speeds stop. I got an Asus AI mesh setup which turned out to be a nightmare. Wifi initially gave me excellent speeds of 500mb throughout the house, but would often just give a paltry 20mb at times, and on a few occasions down to as low as 2 or 3 mb. Went back to the deco for stability at least.
    I have my synology NAS attached to the deco satellite upstairs, and have had no complaints from any friends using Plex connecting to my server.
    It will be interesting to see if the M5 will give better speeds when connecting to the Hub 4, or whether I will need to get something which will manage that speed better.
    WiFi 6 should operate better in wifi congested areas due to its BSS colouring, but I think a good wifi 6 mesh system is beyond my pocket for a few months

4 bed detached with large back garden at mine. I'm using bridge mode on hub 3 and TPLINK Deco M5 is my mesh setup. I never get more than 360 standing beside the main router, and the most I ever get beside the satellites is about 160 - which is a bit disappointing. Still, 50 mb upload is solid throughout the house.
    This is from the furthest point in my (admittedly not large) house (see attachment). Admittedly, I'd have been fine with the 500Mb product, but needed to replace the existing router, so this was cost effective. The 360 TV box is a huge improvement over Horizon and it came with a free 1080p Chromecast (that will probably never get used).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

bobchowhut wrote: »

Your assuming the router is only 100Mb? or am I missing something fundamental about the new box?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭darconio

boars wrote: »
    i have 350mbs,

My only issue with the 350 is that the Suberhub Router is a piece of cheap crap regarding the wifi (it cant handle more than 9/10 wireless devices). I went into the settings and put it into modem mode, connected my own €150 router from amazon and wifi is perfect.

Are they releasing a different router with the 1 gig broadband?

To be honest 350 is more than enough for my needs at this time however, there are only two of us in the house using it- however I will probably upgrade in about 5 years i'd say when baby gets older.

Did you have to get an ipv4 allocated by VM to use your own router or it works with ipv6? I remember when I did the same operation with my cisco epc I had to get in touch with them several times to get the above task completed

This is plugged directly into the router (speeds up to 1Gb during test):

524323.png

Speedtest.net isn't quite so positive, showing 600/51 for a ping of 30ms, but if I ping Google's DNS I'm consistently getting 7ms/8ms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

524323.png

Interesting to note that the upload speed is 50mb and not the 100 that was quoted earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

I currently have the 500MB broadband with the white Hub 3.0 modem, but in the past month or so have found the wifi signal to be very unreliable in some parts of the house, where for example Zoom calls have been freezing and cutting out altogether. Nothing has changed in my house in terms of connections, usage etc. VM could not provide any explanation when I called them up. Have others had similar recent problems with VM wifi? FYI: I am based in West Dublin.

I am also just wondering is there a cost for existing customers to upgrade to the new 1GB broadband and would it result in a significant improvement in the wifi signal?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Might folks with the new service run the tests mentioned on this page:

https://www.badmodems.com/Tools.htm

Test here:
    http://www.dslreports.com/tools/puma6

This tests for the Puma bug.

NOTE: For this test to work, you need to directly connected to the VM router via ethernet and close all other apps on your laptop. Wifi will not work on this test, it just gives poor results.

Thanks

I have the M5's as well, and I used to get 500mb via WIFI when connected to the main Deco. That dropped quite a bit when they updated the firmware to 1.4.4 (and 1.4.7). But getting the exact same as you, which is very annoying.
    I'm going to use the Deco's for my various connected devices and leave the wifi on the new modem (whenever it starts to work) and connect my Pixelbook to that to get the max speed I can.
    Hopefully TPlink will issue a proper fix for the wifi speed. I've been supplying details on a forum so fingers crossed.
    Once I go outside, that's where the problems start, and the good coverage and speeds stop. I got an Asus AI mesh setup which turned out to be a nightmare. Wifi initially gave me excellent speeds of 500mb throughout the house, but would often just give a paltry 20mb at times, and on a few occasions down to as low as 2 or 3 mb. Went back to the deco for stability at least.
    I have my synology NAS attached to the deco satellite upstairs, and have had no complaints from any friends using Plex connecting to my server.
    It will be interesting to see if the M5 will give better speeds when connecting to the Hub 4, or whether I will need to get something which will manage that speed better.
    WiFi 6 should operate better in wifi congested areas due to its BSS colouring, but I think a good wifi 6 mesh system is beyond my pocket for a few months

Re-ran the test with Wifi disabled (seems to be using Wifi for some traffic, even with a wired connection):
    524342.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭bren2001

Whats the big issue with 50 Mb/s upload speed and why does it largely make the new offering no real upgrade to the 500 Mb broadband? Is 10:1 some form of golden ratio between download and upload?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

bren2001 wrote: »
    Whats the big issue with 50 Mb/s upload speed and why does it largely make the new offering no real upgrade to the 500 Mb broadband? Is 10:1 some form of golden ratio between download and upload?

It makes it largely pointless. Pay:
    €69 for 500 / 50 or
    €85 for 1000 / 50

The thing is most people will see almost no benefit at all from the extra download speed. Most wifi doesn't go over 500Mb/s or so, so if you are using wifi mostly, then definitely not going to benefit from it.

Even if you use ethernet, most servers you might download from rarely give anything close to 1gig to a single connection.

1000/100 would at least give some justification for the extra cost for some people who work from home and do large file uploads. But with it only 50, then they might as well save themselves the extra €16 per month.

At these sort of high speeds, you benefit much more from improvements in upload speed, then the download speed.

BTW when Siro first launched they offered 5:1, with a 200Mb/s upload speed. That was a proper next gen broadband service IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 arden

Looks like 1000/50 is the default, have to say, a little disappointed to be honest! I got similar speeds tests on the 500/50 package.

524335.PNG

524336.PNG

524337.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Getting my modem today, is it plug & play or is there issues.
    Working from home so don't need any hassle.
    Thanks

FaganJr wrote: »
    Getting my modem today, is it plug & play or is there issues.
    Working from home so don't need any hassle.
    Thanks

Plug and play for the most part, had some down time. Note, though, they said it can take up to 24 hours for the config on the backend, but your old speed/package should still work.

• Advertisement

Still not working here. Virgin are now saying that our order is still "pending" and therefore the modem won't connect until it has been completed on their side. But to be honest they didn't even seem certain about that and booked a technician for tomorrow to come and check things out. Pretty annoyed to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Quick question for those who got delivery of the Modem.

I just got a package and all that was in it was a Google Chromecast.

Is the Modem a separate delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

Ordered 4 days ago and no update on delivery. What's the average wait time for delivery I wonder?

FaganJr wrote: »
    Quick question for those who got delivery of the Modem.

I just got a package and all that was in it was a Google Chromecast.

Is the Modem a separate delivery?

I got my modem, tvbox and chrome cast all together. I wasn't expecting the chrome cast until after 30 days as per the fine print, but hey! I'm happy, speeds are picking up, but it really looks like it’s still only 50mb up, tech guy thought it was 100 too, that I was talking to earlier ;(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

I've been calling and on whatsapp daily regarding the order status. It's been processing since Thursday and each time it's been "pushed on" but no email or details. Methinks I shall hold off for a bit as there are obviously some delivery and provisioning problems.

La Haine wrote: »
    Ordered 4 days ago and no update on delivery. What's the average wait time for delivery I wonder?
    Based on previous comments, they had problems fulfilling orders placed last week (Thursday/Friday). Best to check out if they managed to place your order correctly. Seems ok for orders placed this week. I ordered Sunday, had the hardware Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭bob11

This is from the furthest point in my (admittedly not large) house (see attachment). Admittedly, I'd have been fine with the 500Mb product, but needed to replace the existing router, so this was cost effective. The 360 TV box is a huge improvement over Horizon and it came with a free 1080p Chromecast (that will probably never get used).

Hi Krusty, I am thinking of moving to the 360TV box, but i have 2 additional boxes in house. Have you the multibox setup with 360tv box with additional mini -boxes ? https://www.virginmedia.ie/360tvsupport/multi-room-viewing/
    If you do, how are the master and slave boxes connected ?

Is the remote control for the new 360tv box infra-red or wireless ?
    I have hidden my Horizon box behind a panel with other amps and gear, and the wireless remote on the Horizon works great. If the new 360tv remote is infra red, I may have to rethink my set-up ..

Thanks,

Bob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Based on previous comments, they had problems fulfilling orders placed last week (Thursday/Friday). Best to check out if they managed to place your order correctly. Seems ok for orders placed this week. I ordered Sunday, had the hardware Tuesday.

So my order went through on Thursday but I never got an email to confirm so I contacted them again on Monday and one of the team confirmed that there was an issue and pushed it through for me.

Today I got an email from the sales team saying I needed to cancel the phone service, which has already been done so I forwarded on the confirmation. They then replied saying I already had this service at my address and asked if I wanted to upgrade, I replied to say yes but haven't heard anything since.

Now I'm completely in the dark about what is happening and this whole thing has been a flustercluck. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭DecTenToo

Order re-done yesterday. No emails as yet. Shouldn't complain as the existing service is working fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭denisor

bob11 wrote: »
    Hi Krusty, I am thinking of moving to the 360TV box, but i have 2 additional boxes in house. Have you the multibox setup with 360tv box with additional mini -boxes ? https://www.virginmedia.ie/360tvsupport/multi-room-viewing/
    If you do, how are the master and slave boxes connected ?

I have hidden my Horizon box behind a panel with other amps and gear, and the wireless remote on the Horizon works great. If the new 360tv remote is infra red, I may have to rethink my set-up ..

Thanks,

Bob

I had 360 Media Box and 2 mutliroom boxes installed this morning. All boxes are much smaller than the outgoing boxes and remotes work without line of sight on all, so I am going to say they are not infrared. In my house all TV boxes are only connect to wall coax box and are connected to each other via wifi. (1GB wifi box is in attic) TV boxes are very fast to power up, and remotes now power up TV too at the same time. Menu, UI and picture quality works fast and as you would expect it to. (Horizon box was imo not fit for purpose in terms of lag).

bob11 wrote: »
    It's definitely wireless - at a guess it's Bluetooth (has integrated voice commands), but still has an infrared panel, presumably for legacy device control (TV, Stereo). I was really surprised to see that it picked up both my TV and Samsung Sound bar (identified devices correctly) presumably using HDMI CEC, and everything worked without any configuration. It's a HUGE improvement on the Horizon box. We don't watch a lot of TV any more, but the box is really good. Has Netflix and Amazon apps, if you don't have them on a smart TV already. If you still watch a lot of television on your horizon box, it's definitely worth the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Pedro32561

I got the new modem today. Plugged it in and nothing coming through at all. Had to log a call with online chat. They said it would be up and running in 24-48 hours, but likely sooner.

FINALLY... got mine up and running. Clocking just over 900mb down and 50mb up.

Just got my modem today,.

Still waiting for it to provision. Not liking the reports that it's only 50mb upload..can't see me sticking with 1gb if that is the case.

Will happily hang onto the new modem with 500mbps and much cheaper price.

Have gone back to hub3 for now as new modem isn't provisioned.

739.86 mbps download
    51.62 mbps upload

seems hub3 is pushing it as much as it can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Disappointing upload speed. Wonder why they have deviated from 10% of download speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

524323.png

Speedtest.net isn't quite so positive, showing 600/51 for a ping of 30ms, but if I ping Google's DNS I'm consistently getting 7ms/8ms.

The WAN network is suffering from bufferbloat, your latency under heavy network load should only be a few ms extra if any....this site tests for bufferbloat and gives a rating http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got onto Whatsapp to see

Want the router, get the new package

I have a mesh setup and other hub in modem mode, so not great loss, but nice to have latest tech if possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

fast.com can be a bit generous as well

524404.PNG

FINALLY... got mine up and running. Clocking just over 900mb down and 50mb up.

After how long?

And that speed is wired connection?

• Advertisement
Advertisement