Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 pay as you go SIM in wifi router and any way around blocked content

Options
  • 28-09-2020 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I've been using a €20 3 pay as you go SIM that I change monthly in a router for home wifi for years, and never had any problems regarding accessing websites. Got a new router the other day as the old one stopped working and now all of a sudden I'm slapped with an adult content block. Because I'm not a 3 broadband customer in the sense that I don't have an account number, I'm wondering is there any way I have around this? Could I set up a my3 account with the number of the SIM and verify my age through that and it would work?

I've tried changing the APN on the router, as I saw a post of someone with the same problem a few years but that doesn't work now, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd prefer to figure this out in a way that didn't involve me having to verify my age every month when I get a new SIM for my router, but any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Add a debit card to my3 and then ask support to remove the block. The card will act as proof that you are of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Why do you change the sim each month? Will a €20 top up on the current sim not give you another 30 days of data?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

jaqqq wrote: »
    I've been using a €20 3 pay as you go SIM that I change monthly in a router for home wifi for years, and never had any problems regarding accessing websites. Got a new router the other day as the old one stopped working and now all of a sudden I'm slapped with an adult content block. Because I'm not a 3 broadband customer in the sense that I don't have an account number, I'm wondering is there any way I have around this? Could I set up a my3 account with the number of the SIM and verify my age through that and it would work?

I've tried changing the APN on the router, as I saw a post of someone with the same problem a few years but that doesn't work now, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I'd prefer to figure this out in a way that didn't involve me having to verify my age every month when I get a new SIM for my router, but any help appreciated.

No need for a new sim I have mine in the last two/3 yes without any hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

same , have been using the same sim for 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

I got one of these last week, 30e it was and was supposed to last a month. A week to 10 days if even. Why it go so quickly?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

jaqqq wrote: »
    I'd prefer to figure this out in a way that didn't involve me having to verify my age every month when I get a new SIM for my router, but any help appreciated.

Would using a VPN help, i use Torguard.

This is also handy when you are abroad, and want to use the 3 webtext site, which seems to be geoblocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I got one of these last week, 30e it was and was supposed to last a month. A week to 10 days if even. Why it go so quickly?

The PAYG SIM with unlimited data is 20e, check what you bought, it's possibly a PAYG broadband SIM which only has 30GB

Ten Pin wrote: »
    The PAYG SIM with unlimited data is 20e, check what you bought, it's possibly a PAYG broadband SIM which only has 30GB

I thought I bought the unlimited sim! So its 30e for 30gb and 20e for unlimited! I just walked in and asked for a n internet sim for a router. I was expecting unlimited. How do I even top it up. Need to get connected again to the internet but don't know how to top it up. Is it just like buying credits through my bank app only I go to three and type the number in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭DopeTech

kingbhome wrote: »
    I thought I bought the unlimited sim! So its 30e for 30gb and 20e for unlimited! I just walked in and asked for a n internet sim for a router. I was expecting unlimited. How do I even top it up. Need to get connected again to the internet but don't know how to top it up. Is it just like buying credits through my bank app only I go to three and type the number in.

Easiest thing to do is go again and buy a pay as you go mobile sim. Don't mention the router

• Advertisement

DopeTech wrote: »
    Easiest thing to do is go again and buy a pay as you go mobile sim. Don't mention the router

So basically you get more if it's a mobile sim then just pop it into the router? Is three shops open on a Sunday?

DopeTech wrote: »

So basically you get more if it's a mobile sim then just pop it into the router? Is three shops open on a Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Is three shops open on a Sunday?

Probably, check here for opening hours...
    https://www.three.ie/stores/

Dont say anything about a router just ask for a pay as go 3 sim that you top up every 28 days.
    Pop the sim in to the router when u get home you might need the adaptors depending on the size the router takes.

naughto wrote: »
    Dont say anything about a router just ask for a pay as go 3 sim that you top up every 28 days.
    Pop the sim in to the router when u get home you might need the adaptors depending on the size the router takes.

The router takes the mini sims. It's actually a 3 Hawaii router.

naughto wrote: »

The router takes mine sims. Plus it's a three hawei router. Is unlimited really unlimited or has that got a limit as well

The router takes mini sims and is actually a 3 Hawaii router. Don't think it'll need an adapter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭Trouser Snake

You need to activate it in a phone first though.

Advertisement