Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Race for the Top Four Finish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Manchester Utd
    After a couple of crucial games, the race is pretty much done and dusted.

From Liverpool's perspective, you don't want to be utterly reliant on getting at least 3 points from 2 fixtures like Utd and Arsenal. They simply left themselves too much to do.

A good effort to get back in the running but the team just isn't good enough to get top 4 this season and it's as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Southampton
    All a bit of an enjoyable anti climax in the end :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Raf32 wrote: »
    Nearly sewn up now. Tottenham dropping points tomorrow would finish it now.

and so it came to pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Southampton
    I'm not sure why people think it's all but over? United's gap over Liverpool and Spurs is 8 points but their next three games are by far the toughest:

vs Man City (H)
    vs Chelsea (A)
    vs Everton (A)

Contrast that with Liverpool:

vs Newcastle (H)
    vs Hull (A)
    vs West Brom (A)

And Spurs:

vs Villa (H)
    vs Newcastle (A)
    vs Southampton (A)

Honestly it's not beyond the realms of possibility that United's lead will be cut to 5 points after the derby, and then 2 points after the game away to the soon-to-be champions. Then that Everton game would be a massive pressure game and Goodison Park is not an easy place to go to at the best of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Southampton
    It's over because Spurs and Liverpool will continue to drop points irrespective of what Utd and Arsenal do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Southampton
    It's over, and has been since united beat pool. The last two games were worrying for pool, didn't even look close and these teams and the top 4 rivals. I'd expect the same top 4 next season too.

Liverpool made a mistake by spending all the Suarez money, just like spurs spent the bale money. You don't just go out and buy crap, save the money and wait till the Right player is available. Not one signing could be classed as a success,

Lambert - bad
    lovren - terrible
    moreno - shocking (makes a mistake that leads to a goal every single game)
    manqilo - not great but a loan
    baloteli - probably the worst of all the signings
    markovic - very poor this season but I'll reserve judgement
    lallana - always injured, top half player not really a top 4 one though
    Can - 10 million but plays like a 10 million pound player - though probably best signing of the lot

That's about 120 million, how Rodgers still has a job after okaying them signings is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Tottenham Hotspur
    I think Can and Lallana have proven both at Liverpool and at their previous clubs that they are good players so I think your assessment of them is harsh.

The rest? Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Southampton
    Lallana is a good player, not a great player, Bill.

If you play him he'll score the odd goal or assist but he just doesn't seem to do enough in his vast majority of games. I don't think anyone is envious of any of Liverpool's signings, same with Spurs bar Eriksson.

I also think Coutinho is an average #10, but he's young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Southampton
    If Lallana had cost £12m he'd be a good acquisition. He didn't though, he cost a lot more than that unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I like Lallana, he's looked good at times for Liverpool but it's got to be hard for him to show his worth when he can't get any kind of decent run of games together.

Being English and one of the better performing English players the previous season, he was never going to go for much less than 20m.
    You would have to pay similar for someone like Delph or Ings in the Summer, it's just the way it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Discipline is killing Liverpool's chances.

Spurs are Spurs, flattering to decieve at every opportunity.

Hell knows what Utd will do next.

Chelsea
    Arsenal
    Man City
    (up for grabs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Danye

I like Lallana, he's looked good at times for Liverpool but it's got to be hard for him to show his worth when he can't get any kind of decent run of games together.

Being English and one of the better performing English players the previous season, he was never going to go for much less than 20m.
    You would have to pay similar for someone like Delph or Ings in the Summer, it's just the way it is.

There's not a chance that Delph or Ings will fetch a fee of £20 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Danye wrote: »
    There's not a chance that Delph or Ings will fetch a fee of £20 million.

Depends on who is buying. Ings is out of contract soon though but I'm just using an example of the level of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭Danye

Depends on who is buying. Ings is out of contract soon though but I'm just using an example of the level of player.

I agree that English players are vastly overpriced but I think buying clubs won't be throwing crazy money at them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Ings is out of contract in June the fee will be set by a tribunal. If he moves abroad it will be a free. I get the general point being made flavour of the month English players are overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Manchester Utd
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    It's over, and has been since united beat pool. The last two games were worrying for pool, didn't even look close and these teams and the top 4 rivals. I'd expect the same top 4 next season too.

Liverpool made a mistake by spending all the Suarez money, just like spurs spent the bale money. You don't just go out and buy crap, save the money and wait till the Right player is available. Not one signing could be classed as a success,

Lambert - bad
    lovren - terrible
    moreno - shocking (makes a mistake that leads to a goal every single game)
    manqilo - not great but a loan
    baloteli - probably the worst of all the signings
    markovic - very poor this season but I'll reserve judgement
    lallana - always injured, top half player not really a top 4 one though
    Can - 10 million but plays like a 10 million pound player - though probably best signing of the lot

That's about 120 million, how Rodgers still has a job after okaying them signings is beyond me.

You could make that argument for nearly any team in top 5 or 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Southampton
    The problems for the team below the current top four are many.

1. The obvious 8 point gap,
    2. They have an inferior goal difference.
    3. Arsenal and United have the best current form of the top 4.
    4. Man City looking like the weakest team in the top 4 right now on current form, but their squad has better players than the teams outside the top 4.
    5. Spurs will not make top 4.
    6. Chelsea unlikely to lose against Liverpool, while one could make an argument for United to beat both City and Chelsea.
    7. United have the best defensive record of the top 6 going back over 20 games.
    8. Arsenal in great form, particularly at home and they just need 13 points from 7 games.

I think guaranteed top 4 are Chelsea, United, Arsenal and the weak link is City. That is just going on form. Liverpool and Spurs then dropping points and suspect form, would point to the top 4 being the current teams and a race to finish 2nd.
    The battle for 2nd place is the most interesting battle right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Southampton
    So who will finish 2nd in the league?

Will Chelsea just fall apart and get overtaken?
    Will be it be Arsenal, United or Man City?

I am going for a big battle between Arsenal and United for 2nd place, and United to get there as they revenge their FA defeat to Arsenal in the second last game.
    Man City to come 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Arsenal - City are going to stumble and bumble their way to 4th place. They will then sack their manager and buy up every young and promising English player in the summer that they can afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Southampton
    I'll still go with City. Best players and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Can we have a thread for who will finish 3rd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd like to see arsenal get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Southampton
    Top 4 will remain the same unless one of City, Arsenal or United collapse completely. Liverpool will lose at least one of their run in and then need one of the other 3 to lose 4 from 7 which is unlikely to say the least

You have to think Rodgers is destined to fail at this stage looking on to next season if he doesn't get top 4, the squad needs at least 3 top quality players and there is little chance of getting even one, it doesn't matter how tactically astute you are if you can't get the players you won't get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    niallo27 wrote: »

Fabregas costa and sanchez are the 3 signings of the top 6 that have had a big impact. The likes of blind debuchy and Rojo have been good signings. Herrera looks a very good player but 3 weeks ago oranange would've been writing him off. Di maria it hasn't worked out for yet but I don't think anyone could have foreseen that. None of city's signings have improved them. Filipe Luis has barely got a kick at Chelsea. Shaw lovren and chambers have struggled with the step up so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Southampton

arsenals signings this season have all been excellent for the most part, same for Chelsea.

Uniteds have all been very good though overspent on players like di Maria, herrara and Shaw

city's have been average and I don't know or care who spurs bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Southampton
    Arsenal. Arsenal have some awful whingers in their support. Every season they bitch about Wenger. When he eventually leaves they could easily drop out of the top 4 for a couple of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Southampton
    TheCitizen wrote: »
    Arsenal. Arsenal have some awful whingers in their support. Every season they bitch about Wenger. When he eventually leaves they could easily drop out of the top 4 for a couple of seasons.

Every team has whingers in their support, just look at the Liverpool and Man Utd threads over the last year and you will see them whinge too.

Manchester Utd
    Oranage2 wrote: »
    arsenals signings this season have all been excellent for the most part, same for Chelsea.

Uniteds have all been very good though overspent on players like di Maria, herrara and Shaw

city's have been average and I don't know or care who spurs bought.

Danny Wellbeck

Why do you forgive utd for overspending but Rodgers should get sacked for doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭ronjo

Southampton
    Danny Wellbeck

Why do you forgive utd for overspending but Rodgers should get sacked for doing the same.

Probably and maybe unfairly Van Gaal can afford to overspend.

• Advertisement

Manchester Utd
    ronjo wrote: »
    Probably and maybe unfairly Van Gaal can afford to overspend.

Totally agree. Liverpools squad was so thin though Rodgers had to invest and take a few chances.

Advertisement