Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Race for the Top Four Finish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,551 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Southampton
    GavRedKing wrote: »
    What if Arsenal win the UCL and Liverpool win the Euopa League and both finish outside the top 4?

The chances of all that happening are basically zero but would the UCL winner get preference over the EL winner in taking the 5th spot?
    It'd be 4th place in the league that would fall short, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Southampton
    What if Arsenal win the UCL and Liverpool win the Euopa League and both finish outside the top 4?

The chances of all that happening are basically zero but would the UCL winner get preference over the EL winner in taking the 5th spot?
    They both get in, 4th loses out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,737 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Carroll out for the season.

West Ham were outsiders already but I'd say this could be a nail in the coffin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Southampton
    They are still pretty strong with Sakho and Valencia up there but they won't get Top 4 with or without him

I think draws will get Southampton. The goals are drying up a bit - Three blanks in their last 6 matches, four goals, one of which was a goal from their only shot on target against United. They'll need 25 -ish points for 4th and that might be a bit too much for them.

If Pelle can start scoring again they have a chance but everything about him screams one hit wonder.

Southampton have only 4 draws all season. Utd have 8 as a comparison.

They have a great goal difference unlike Liverpool and Spurs who are really another point behind with such an abysmal record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Southampton
    CSF wrote: »
    It'd be 4th place in the league that would fall short, no?
    They both get in, 4th loses out.

Makes sense, hope that happens and Spurs are 4th so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Liverpool

That would be nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Southampton
    Much more likely that Arsenal get fourth and Spurs win the Europa.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Arsenal are nailed on for one of the two spots. when will some people learn?

That's the thing, why is it that every year Arsenal will do whatever it takes to get 4th. But never more than that.

• Advertisement

Southampton
    That's the thing, why is it that every year Arsenal will do whatever it takes to get 4th. But never more than that.

Eh I don't think they're choosing not to win the league. They're just not good enough.

CSF wrote: »
    Eh I don't think they're choosing not to win the league. They're just not good enough.

Yeah but there always comes a a point where they can't win the league they're great from then to get 4th. Or else they're on course for 7th or 8th and then they "push on". It gets old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Manchester Utd
    SlickRic wrote: »
    Arsenal are nailed on for one of the two spots. when will some people learn?

if Sturridge stays fit and firing, then Liverpool have a decent shout, but if i had to bet, i'd say Utd at this stage.

if Utd played a balanced midfield with Rooney up top, this question wouldn't even be a question IMO and Utd would be guaranteed to be in, but i'm hoping LVG's stubborn streak remains from that point of view.

They always do enough in fairness but this year is slightly different as they will have an extra two teams fighting them for 4th place. It is usually only one team and die off near the end. They have to fall out eventually.

Liverpool
    I'm not convinced arsenal will get 4th this season. Both pool and Spurs in good form, United are horrible but getting points. As previously mentioned Southampton having goal trouble but their defensively sound.
    This could be the season we miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Manchester Utd
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    I'm not convinced arsenal will get 4th this season. Both pool and Spurs in good form, United are horrible but getting points. As previously mentioned Southampton having goal trouble but their defensively sound.
    This could be the season we miss out.

If it did happen, would that be the end for Wenger? Assuming he doesn't win any other silverware.

Liverpool
    OwaynOTT wrote: »
    If it did happen, would that be the end for Wenger? Assuming he doesn't win any other silverware.

Not from the club hierarchy, no. The fans would be upset no doubt. Atmosphere would be a bit **** for a while. He'd have to buy a superstar to keep people happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Manchester Utd
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    Not from the club hierarchy, no. The fans would be upset no doubt. Atmosphere would be a bit **** for a while. He'd have to buy a superstar to keep people happy.

Bad start to the following season would only make that atmosphere worse.
    I'd find it strange that the club hierarchy wouldn't act on such failure and Wenger might find it hard to sign a superstar if they ain't in the Euro Champ League.
    Ye only have London going for ye then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Liverpool
    And a huge amount of money, one of the best grounds in Europe and a team capable of winning trophies.

Arsenal will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

Southampton
    What I'd love to see :
    1. Man City
    2. Chelsea
    3. Liverpool
    4. Southampton

What will likely happen :
    1. Chelsea
    2. Man City
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Liverpool
    Arsenal to get 3rd. 4th is up for grabs and any of the rest could get it. Just thinking a combined team from the 5 teams would struggle to beat chelsea with possibly only 3 or at most 4 players strengthening the Chelsea team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal to get 3rd. 4th is up for grabs and any of the rest could get it. Just thinking a combined team from the 5 teams would struggle to beat chelsea with possibly only 3 or at most 4 players strengthening the Chelsea team.

The key to Chelsea...and Jose always does this...is the spine.

Other teams might have better full backs or wingers etc but

Terry/Cahill - Matic - Fabregas - Costa

Are unparalleled in the league, taking Terry/Cahill as a partnership obv.

Same as before

Terry/Carvalho - Makelele - Lampard - Drogba

A spine of world class leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Funny guy :pac:

Thanks for reminding me why I hate that club you support so much ;).

I think Arsenal and United will get the two places unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Liverpool
    3rd. Arsenal
    4th. Southampton
    5th. Utd
    6th. Spurs
    7th. Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Tottenham Hotspur
    According to my vote I've chosen all 5! :cool:

I think Arsenal are certs for a spot and then United being United, they'l grind their way to fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Southampton
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Southampton have only 4 draws all season. Utd have 8 as a comparison.

They have a great goal difference unlike Liverpool and Spurs who are really another point behind with such an abysmal record

I'm more focusing on the fact that the goals are starting to dry up a bit for them. They are set up very solidly but are lacking a bit in attack which is becoming more evident and will result in more draws imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Manchester Utd
    Southampton won't get top 4. Lets be realistic here. It would take 3 out of the 4 teams having a really poor run in which won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Southampton
    niallo27 wrote: »
    Southampton won't get top 4. Lets be realistic here. It would take 3 out of the 4 teams having a really poor run in which won't happen.

They have the most manageable fixtures and have a point on Arsenal, 3 on Tottenham and 4 on Liverpool with a far superior goal difference to the last two. With no other cup distractions like the 3 above and United, they have every chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Southampton
    It's funny that so many people are ruling out Southampton. If Liverpool/United where in their situation they'd think they would have a great chance. Why should Southampton be any different? If you're going on the bases of the other teams have more experience etc with that pressure. Than Liverpool should have crumbled last season. Hope Southampton do it. Would be great to see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Manchester Utd
    It's funny that so many people are ruling out Southampton. If Liverpool/United where in their situation they'd think they would have a great chance. Why should Southampton be any different? If you're going on the bases of the other teams have more experience etc with that pressure. Than Liverpool should have crumbled last season. Hope Southampton do it. Would be great to see

It's probably because people rate Southampton's squad as 6th strongest at most.

All their rivals seem to have another gear available, particularly up front.

It mightn't matter in the end; it's certainly not impossible that they'll make it. It just doesn't seem likely with the likes of Arsenal and Utd having so much attacking talent and picking up points fairly consistently and Liverpool and Spurs coming into form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Southampton
    3. United (No European distractions, too much quality to not win quite a few)
    4. Liverpool (Hitting form since December, Sturridge back, new signings showing much improved form)
    5. Arsenal (Champions League distractions, still prone to a brain-fart occasionaly, short on leadership sometimes)
    6. Southampton (Will struggle to play with the same freeness when against teams battling for surviival)

Southampton
    I just reckon with Utd and Arsenals experience of being in the top 4, it will drga them over the line.

Certainly a good battle between 5 teams for probably 2 spaces, I cant see City sliding down to 3rd but even if they do, they wont fall out of the top 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Southampton
    After United losing, and an Arsenal win todays matches are huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Manchester Utd
    Cat firmly amongst the pigeons now.

For all the talk of Southampton getting screwed today, they deserved a penalty alright, but from their only attack of any real substance.

That's their problem.

They're very well set up and competent in every area of the pitch, but they just have nothing like the quality up front required to duke it out with the big boys.

They're a quality team in general and they should get one of the last EL spots for next season, and after getting gutted in the summer, that's a brilliant showing, but I never really believed they were going to be able to maintain their early season form.

latest odds:

Arsenal 2/7
    Utd 10/11
    Liverpool 2/1
    Southampton 7/2
    Spurs 11/2

Southampton
    B-eG81-IMAAuMGs.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Southampton
    Not looking good for United and only have themselves to blame, you can't go a whole season hoping the other teams stay more crap than you are

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Spurs were awful today and were incredibly lucky to get anything. Can't see them getting fourth unless their luck somehow improves.
    Southampton seem to have lost their ability to score recently so I'd say their out of it.
    Liverpool seem to be, once again, coming good at exactly the right time and I can see them overhauling Man Utd.

The galling thing for us is that of the 7 league games we've played in the new year, we've held the lead in 5 but only won 1. Indeed were it not for last minute goals in the last two weeks, we'd be just 3 points from 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Liverpool
    Not looking good for United and only have themselves to blame, you can't go a whole season hoping the other teams stay more crap than you are

The table doesn't lie. After 38 games you finish where you should. Manchester United are not one of the four best sides in England and won't therefore finish in the top four and there's nothing they can do about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,347 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Beefy78 wrote: »
    The table doesn't lie. After 38 games you finish where you should. Manchester United are not one of the four best sides in England and won't therefore finish in the top four and there's nothing they can do about it.

The table does lie. It hardly shows results that you didn't deserve so in that regard it's not indicative of a team's ability. If a team won every game 1-0 because of a dodgy penalty and another won every game bar one 3-0 and that was down to a dodgy penalty given to the other team then who's the better team that season? Very macro example but I know which one I'd have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Southampton
    Liam O wrote: »
    The table does lie. It hardly shows results that you didn't deserve so in that regard it's not indicative of a team's ability. If a team won every game 1-0 because of a dodgy penalty and another won every game bar one 3-0 and that was down to a dodgy penalty given to the other team then who's the better team that season? Very macro example but I know which one I'd have.

Bit of an outlandish hypothetical there, Liam. When does that ever happen?

Fact is, with so many games, teams end up where they deserve to, more or less.

• Advertisement

Southampton
    B_BiaMMWoAAuvNj.jpg:large

Good weekends for United and Arsenal but a brilliant performance from Liverpool makes them favourites for third now imo. Seems the majority were right about Southampton dropping off, while Spurs lost more ground on the leading pack without getting to play. Are City in a dog fight now for top 4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Southampton
    If you think Liverpool are favs for third I urge you to make money on it:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/top-4-finish

Southampton
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you think Liverpool are favs for third I urge you to make money on it:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/top-4-finish

Definitely having some of that. In great form and knocking off the harder opponents.

Southampton
    City losing and a cup on the same day, dream scenario.

Southampton
    I'm inclined to think 11/8 on Liverpool for top 4 is very nice myself. That performance today looked like 13/14 Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Southampton
    Hard to see past Liverpool in current run of form. Fancy Liverpool to beat United at Anfield and make a cap of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Looks like we're in for a superbly entertaining finish to this.

6a297ae721d086d83daee985261442f1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Manchester Utd
    Its gonna be close , and could go any way , but i do think liverpool might just have the edge going into the later stages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Manchester Utd
    Can you imagine if chelsea lost a couple of games and they got dragged down to the rest christ it'd be some ending to the season

Southampton
    Think its time City got a mention in here. Their form is alarming but they should just do it but who knows. 6 teams for three spots now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭ronjo

Southampton
    Raf32 wrote: »
    Think its time City got a mention in here. Their form is alarming but they should just do it but who knows. 6 teams for three spots now.

I agree.

Since New Years Day they have 12 points.
    Arsenal have 24 and if Liverpool win tonight they will have 25. United have 19.

• Advertisement
Advertisement