Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 1), Mar 6-7, 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭howiya

dfx- wrote: »

Try out a game near you. Click a fixture link for stadium details.

See club sites for ticket info:

Haven't been to a game in years and I've decided to return this year (at least at the start of the season) for various reasons. The main reason is that having been abroad and telling the natives they should be supporting their own domestic soccer I feel I should be doing the same.

Checked out ticket info there and €15 is hardly value for money for a first division game?

I'll still go along on Friday night but considering you can get into Croke Park for €10 the following night and see two top flight games it would seem that the League or its clubs (not sure who sets prices) have got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

Only Shelbourne charge 15euro for the first division. The rest charge 10.
    I agree that 15 is much too high for the first division.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can't bloody wait for season to start.

I expect Cork to have another excellent season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

frimpong wrote: »
    Only Shelbourne charge 15euro for the first division. The rest charge 10.
    I agree that 15 is much too high for the first division.

We're the only first division club worth paying 15 for :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Looking forward to hopefully winning more games than losing this season. Week 2 and 3 will hopefully give some indication as to what our chances of promotion are like. With McMillan and Leahy back in defence and Benson and Belhout in attack, I'm quietly confident. Watch us lose to Cobh on Saturday now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

It's a pity limericks ground is not ready. Serious lack of money there. Lucky to have 11 to pick from is the rumour down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

The problem is that it's the reality of keeping a club alive. €10 is a good price for a First Division game, but if Shels charged that, would they increase crowds by 50% to even it out? Most likely, no, it would only be a small increase. If they get 700 people at €15 over 14 matches, that's about €150k in gates. If they were to increase the crowds to 850 people at €10, that's €120k. A €30k difference for a club at this level could be the difference in making it through to the next season and ending up insolvent. €15 is seen as the optimum price - any more, and the drop off would be too much; any less, and the increase wouldn't be enough.

The thing about Croke Park charging a tenner, is that the league for them is seen as small, so they can experiment on pricing. Irish teams can do that with the mid-season friendlies. But if you start messing about with pricing on your bread and butter league matches, you could do irreversible damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Clubs need the money, sadly. Croke Park isn't a great example as the entrance is being subsidized by a large, wealthy organisation. With the current state of the league, thinking that knocking a fiver off your prices will bring in hundreds of extra punters is misled. All it will do is cut into your income.

Back to the football. Lot of players (5 IIRC) suspended for us, including Fahey and more worryingly Murphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Always nice to start off with a home game.

Harps should be a good test too, and hopefully they bring a decent crowd.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Heading down for the Limerick game, great to be back! I know Limerick are struggling, but I cant' say I'm all that optimistic about Bohs at the same time.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Is that the Bray kickoff time for the season?

CSF wrote: »
    Is that the Bray kickoff time for the season?

Yep. It should be a big hit with away fans. Travelling from Cork, you should be able to get up and back down before midnight. Plenty of time to get a drink in town back in Cork or get home early. Bray is usually well done the list of trips, but with us playing them away so early in the season (28th), I could see us having a very big crowd compared to what we normally bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hoping for the win next Saturday, McGuinness to continue his great run of form from last season to deny Drogheda any points.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    The problem is that it's the reality of keeping a club alive. €10 is a good price for a First Division game, but if Shels charged that, would they increase crowds by 50% to even it out? Most likely, no, it would only be a small increase. If they get 700 people at €15 over 14 matches, that's about €150k in gates. If they were to increase the crowds to 850 people at €10, that's €120k. A €30k difference for a club at this level could be the difference in making it through to the next season and ending up insolvent. €15 is seen as the optimum price - any more, and the drop off would be too much; any less, and the increase wouldn't be enough.

The thing about Croke Park charging a tenner, is that the league for them is seen as small, so they can experiment on pricing. Irish teams can do that with the mid-season friendlies. But if you start messing about with pricing on your bread and butter league matches, you could do irreversible damage.

I don't think that hundreds of extra punters would show up if the price was reduced. As I've said it won't stop me going along on Friday. I'm merely pointing out that it is bad value for money in comparison to other sporting events in the same area on the same weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It's Longford I feel sorry for. First game back in the big time in quite some time and they are faced with a visit to the League, EA Sports Cup, Malone Cup and President Cup champions. My advice to any Longford players or supporters is to keep the head up. It won't be this tough every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

At our Fans' Forum nearly every year the idea of reducing the price is brought up and every year this is the answer. Right to the point.
    howiya wrote: »
    I don't think that hundreds of extra punters would show up if the price was reduced. As I've said it won't stop me going along on Friday. I'm merely pointing out that it is bad value for money in comparison to other sporting events in the same area on the same weekend.

Buy a season ticket, works out a big enough saving. :D

Cork City have nearly 900 season tickets for the coming season.

Great news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yep. It should be a big hit with away fans. Travelling from Cork, you should be able to get up and back down before midnight. Plenty of time to get a drink in town back in Cork or get home early. Bray is usually well done the list of trips, but with us playing them away so early in the season (28th), I could see us having a very big crowd compared to what we normally bring.

Love that kick off time. might pop down the coast myself on Sat. Tallafornia on Firday should be a belter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Jaysus it seems like ages since I was at a Match, hope it's not pissing Rain on Friday now ! Can't wait

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just bought my ticket for Rovers v Pats.

Going to be a long week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

uch wrote: »
    Jaysus it seems like ages since I was at a Match, hope it's not pissing Rain on Friday now ! Can't wait

You'll get your wish, it'll be snowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Surprised they're not showing Dundalk V Longford. Two teams that won their respective leagues last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Media Guide in case anyone wants a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Media Guide in case anyone wants a look.

So according to that Cork City were founded in 1984, Derry City in 1928, but Galway United weren't founded until 2013.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Jeff Henderson out for four months. Season hasn't started yet and we already look threadbare at the back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Derry beat Pats 2-0 in the cup final.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Great news.

Great news also for Dundalk as we expect to reach 1,000 season ticket holders this week.That figure dosn't include any of the free** u-12 school children season tickets.

** Free ground season tickets, €50 for a u-12 stand season ticket.
    http://www.dundalkfc.com/free-kids-season-ticket-offer-details/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

dan1895 wrote: »
    You'll get your wish, it'll be snowing.

No colder than usual so

Can't see Rovers Pats being a good game, Fenlon will no doubt be ultra cautious with 5 players out and TV games are usually low scoring affairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Great news.

Thought it would be near double that with the crowds you get. If you can maintain those crowds this season, that will be serious gate receipts every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So according to that Cork City were founded in 1984, Derry City in 1928, but Galway United weren't founded until 2013.

One right out of three ain't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

doncarlos wrote: »
    Thought it would be near double that with the crowds you get. If you can maintain those crowds this season, that will be serious gate receipts every week.

I do not understand why ST tickets are so slow for us. It has always been the same. There is a decent little discount off it, and it means you never have to queue for a ticket ever. Not to mention the benefit of priority ticketing for the likes of the ill fated trip to Dundalk in October.

But 900 is excellent, relatively speaking.

Thought Cork would have more than that when they're doing so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

anncoates wrote: »

Come off it, 900 is fantastic for LOI season ticket sales

I think even at our best, the highest was 750 in 2003-2005.

I guess it doesn't matter as long as people still pay in regardless, but it just puzzles me why people dont get a season ticket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Some people can't make 16/17 games in a season or don't have €200 odd to pay up front.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

Pats sold out their away allocation for Friday.

Would love to say we got a 1000 but its far from it, no more tickets will be provided.

Only Tuesday and I am back hating those mofos :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Just to clarify that our game V Limerick kicks off at 6:30pm not 7.

Would love to say we got a 1000 but its far from it, no more tickets will be provided

We limited them to Pats supporters that go to Pats games other than Rovers away and only 600 qualified. :)

Bit strange though.

We limited them to Pats supporters that go to Pats games other than Rovers away and only 600 qualified. :)

Bit strange though.

#fanpoweredfootball

#greatestleagueintheworld

11010618_10153128340518745_4892222639700128995_n.jpg?oh=6ef43a7bbdfcdf5beb71b0734d2296fe&oe=55875984&__gda__=1434013153_792698a835df621e6be2ce18eff613f4

Am hoping the kick off time will improve the attendance. Hopefully the weather isn't too bad.

• Advertisement

howiya wrote: »

I know. I said myself that a tenner is a good price for a First Division side. Just pointing out the reality for Shels, that a change could be disastrous for them.
    Some people can't make 16/17 games in a season or don't have €200 odd to pay up front.

You can pay for it in three installments, which is pretty handy.

There are people that will actually be able to manage that and go to every game, but choose not to buy one. We have to tap into that. It's great to be increasing the max attendance, but I'd be happier if we could get a higher number of ST holders. If we could solidify the couple of thousand that have regularly come to matches by them buying a season ticket, it sets a high baseline. That gives the clubs a much better idea at things like security, number of regular tickets to be printed, programmes etc., so things are more manageable. And, of course, if things go wrong, you don't get as big a dip.

In saying that, the 850ish we've sold this season is a club record and a near 20% improvement on last season (which also had a lot of buzz, with things like the new manager), so that's certainly a positive.

Cork City season ticket is 210 euro. We have 16 games at 15euro per game makes it 240euro.

A saving of 30quid or 2 games. Unless you are certain you can make every game I don't see the value, especially when it does not include league cup and FAI cup games.

Great to see them get the numbers though.

You can pay for it in three installments, which is pretty handy.

There are people that will actually be able to manage that and go to every game, but choose not to buy one. We have to tap into that. It's great to be increasing the max attendance, but I'd be happier if we could get a higher number of ST holders. If we could solidify the couple of thousand that have regularly come to matches by them buying a season ticket, it sets a high baseline. That gives the clubs a much better idea at things like security, number of regular tickets to be printed, programmes etc., so things are more manageable. And, of course, if things go wrong, you don't get as big a dip.

In saying that, the 850ish we've sold this season is a club record and a near 20% improvement on last season (which also had a lot of buzz, with things like the new manager), so that's certainly a positive.

Thats the model in Australia. Each club is trying to maximise it's season ticket holders or members as they call them over there. Melbourne City pulled a massive stunt this year bringing David Villa in for 10 games and putting him on all their ads even though they knew when he would have to depart for NYC.

Do all clubs publish their season ticket figures?

A 20% improvement is massive. Fair play. Next target presumably 1,000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Cork City season ticket is 210 euro. We have 16 games at 15euro per game makes it 240euro.

A saving of 30quid or 2 games. Unless you are certain you can make every game I don't see the value, especially when it does not include league cup and FAI cup games.

Great to see them get the numbers though.

Dont know what further 'value' they can give with that though. Cup games are not in clubs control. If people arent sure they probably wouldnt buy one anyway unless they had family, friends etc who would use it then.

Corholio wrote: »
    Dont know what further 'value' they can give with that though. Cup games are not in clubs control. If people arent sure they probably wouldnt buy one anyway unless they had family, friends etc who would use it then.

Ya in fairness I don't expect any LOI club to give much more, but all I am saying is that unless you were fully confident of going to every game its hard to justify why you would get ticket.

My justification is simple. No queuing ever. I also have a seat reserved so I can rock up at whatever time I want and my seat is there for me. if someone is sat in it, tough tittys to him.

I normally miss 3/4 home games a season, but I still get the value of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Does it include the European game?

No, but it does include a discount on all European games.

Another advantage is if you have a reserved seat, it is reserved for those games as well. Previously it was only reserved for league games.

More tickets given to Pats.

Sutton is the ref, best to luck to all involved :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

More tickets given to Pats.

Sutton is the ref, best to luck to all involved :)

Where did you hear this Dreamers ?

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement