Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR and Brexit (Amazon)

Options
  • 20-02-2019 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I decided to obtain all my data that Amazon held about me and I have to say some of it makes interesting reading. As Brexit approaches I read an article that makes it clear that post Brexit will make it difficult for UK based companies to send their data to customers within the EU ( ics dot ie/news/will-brexit-complicate-gdpr)
    For those of you that own an echo device or have called upon the services of Alexa, then I suggest you log on to your account and request all your data and ask for internal notes. Alexa has the habit of sometimes waking up and recording conversations. Myself and the missus were complaining that the vacuum cleaner was knackered and we need to get a new one. Not long after, strangely enough, I was getting suggestions from Amazon regarding different types of vacuum cleaner and recommendations to boot. Call me paranoid. I may have to take her out of the bedroom (Alexa not the missus). So I strongly suggest getting your data now and all transcripts and internal notes, interesting to see what the agents think of you.

dot amazon.co.uk/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html
    Login
    Prime and more
    select from drop down...data at a later date and then all data

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fairly certain the Amazon you deal with is Amazon SARL in Luxembourg and hence not affected

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If Britain leaves the EU, then it will become what is known as a Third Country (in legal terms). In other words it will be no different to the United States etc.

GDPR has well-defined rules for dealing with data transfers to Third Countries.

Moving this to Legal Discussion as this is really more of a legal topic, than a Consumer Issue. Please note that the Legal Discussion charter now applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MaxMuller

L1011 wrote: »
    Fairly certain the Amazon you deal with is Amazon SARL in Luxembourg and hence not affected

If your account is with amazon.co.uk then it is a UK issue

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

MaxMuller wrote: »

Amazon.co.uk is Amazon SARL in Luxembourg also. Having a .co.uk domain means nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

MaxMuller wrote: »

My last few orders on Amazon.co.uk have shipped from Germany. annoyingly they were very slightly cheaper on Amazon.DE.

• Advertisement
Advertisement