Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was John Motson being racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

lertsnim wrote: »
    He should have described him as being of colour. Thats how it is done now.

“Him”? Did you just assume this persons gender? How dare you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Bring back big ron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

What colour is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

What colour is he?

He was hardly white was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

There's obviously no harm meant by the man, he's a pensioner.

Like it or not these age bracket people have to get a pass because they come from a different era.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Pc loony stuff next it will be a crime to describe a man as a man and a woman as a woman it's sad we now live in a world where left is right black is white tall is short could a little bit of common sense please take hold it isn't asking for too much now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I’m surprised his famous sheepskin coat didn’t become the subject of outrage from the Twitter army as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

If the question is "was John Motson being racist" then no. He was praising the person in question and certainly didn't mean is as a derogatory term If the question is "should John Motson have used the term black" then no he shouldn't. I think it's ridiculous that people have to be so careful and pc but that's the way the world is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The surprising thing for me out of this is that a black guy playing in Millwall hasn't is stilll alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bring back big ron.

That's racist against big people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

biko wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-6719773/John-Motson-apologises-Millwall-striker-Tom-Elliott-race-gaffe.html

So it wasn't Elliott that got offended and did anything? The bosses got offended for him.
    As usual there is some (most often white) snowflake that gets offended on someone else's behalf.

Surprised that people do not complain about Snooker,that game is blatantly Racist, it is like a KKK wish list-you have to get rid of all the Reds,then you sink the Coloured ones,and finally you bury the black in some pocket and all that is left is the White-pretty obvious when you think about it. PS. I hate Snooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

There's obviously no harm meant by the man, he's a pensioner.

Like it or not these age bracket people have to get a pass because they come from a different era.
    Context.....its irks me no one takes what he said/context of the issue....Its the media trying to distract, create faux outrage with some the offended, but the majority of sane, rational people do see context

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

How the world is and what its becoming makes me sad.

Being a castaway on a deserted island is becoming my life goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

antodeco wrote: »
    It's a term of description. It's like saying a tall, bald, overweight, blonde haired, glasses wearing person.

It certainly is not like saying that. Thise terms dont refer to race. Skin colour does. Refering to a person as b***k is clear racism. A non racist would not be minded to mention that characteristic at all. Doing so is racism, reveals him as a racist person, and the apolog means nothing. It does not change him being racist even if he is indeeed sorry he said it as it reals him as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The quotation marks are on the correct word btw. If he had said he apologises for being a racist person, then yes, it would be correct to omit them.

It certainly is not like saying that. Thise terms dont refer to race. Skin colour does. Refering to a person as b***k is clear racism. A non racist would not be minded to mention that characteristic at all. Doing so is racism, reveals him as a racist person, and the apolog means nothing. It does not change him being racist even if he is indeeed sorry he said it as it reals him as one.

Phil Lynnot was black.

Is that racist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That’s about a 2/10. Trying too hard.

But surely saying someone is black does not necessarily make him a racist. If I mention that all 8 runners in an Olympic 100 metres final are black, is that being racist? Because it is not meant as that.

100m race is racist..

Whos the last white guy to run 100m faster than a... i dont know what term to use here in case I'm branded founder of the KKK or something

Ninthlife wrote: »
    100m race is racist..

Whos the last white guy to run 100m faster than a... i dont know what term to use here in case I'm branded founder of the KKK or something

You used the term white guy? Is that racist? Or is it just black is?:confused:

• Advertisement

You used the term white guy? Is that racist? Or is it just black is?:confused:

Should I have said peach guy or non black guy.. im equally confused

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭aloneforever99

I'm pretty much as snowflake-y as they come, but even I think that is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He just wanted to use a load of B words. At least one of the words was complimentary and two of them were descriptive. It would have sounded worse if he had called him a bulging black behemoth.

a bulging black behemoth.

Very Mills & Boon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm pretty much as snowflake-y as they come, but even I think that is a bit much.

Hint: Look at the initials of the poster you're replying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

He just wanted to use a load of B words. At least one of the words was complimentary and two of them were descriptive. It would have sounded worse if he had called him a bulging black behemoth.

At 73 years old, Motson is possibly not as sharp as he once was and perhaps that's an excuse for trying to be over eagerly clever.

Descriptiveness is more important with radio commentary than TV.

He used three adjectives to describe someones size, appearance and positive attributes, all beginning with B.

However, it was unnecessary, especially if you knew who Tom Elliot was. It clearly wasn't malicious and its not derogatory. Then he was made apologise in public because some idiot in Newstalk thought it could be perceived as racist which in the circumstances it is clearly not. A private word explaining this to Tom Elliot should have sufficed. Instead the word "racist" is now being bandied about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Exactly.

Listening to Motto over the last few years, it was obvious he was getting old quickly.
    He wasn't as sharp as he once was.

At times he sounded like your old senile uncle.

I don't think he meant any harm. Its a shame the SJWs have got the pitchforks out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Is it regarded as racist to describe someone as white, (or Caucasian as the US police would describe it)? It seems it's only racist to refer to someone's skin colour when it's a non-white colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

He should have refused to apologise, it wasn't racist.
    That's it, anyone who found it racist is a moron - you can be offended by literally anything these days, why should people bow down to this nonsense.
    It just takes one brave public figure to REFUSE to apologise and others will follow.

Look at this mentally ill fool that must have a GREAT life if she is bothered by this

https://twitter.com/akadennews/status/1094713995578261510

Then of course the company grovel

https://twitter.com/Bloomingdales/status/1094964815796174848

But if you give these mentally unstable cretins an inch, they will take a mile.

https://twitter.com/pwoodreporter/status/1095034152800473090

Not happy with it, they never will be.

Refuse to apologise.

Advertisement