Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extra charge for debt card payments legality in shop?

• 19-02-2019 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭

The local shop has brought in a service charge for paying by credit or debit cards. So a normally €3 item is now €3.50 by debit card or €3 cash.
    I though this was illegal but there calling it a service charge, is it legal as long as you call it a service charge?
    It's a flat charge of 50cent on every transaction as long as there's a card involved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,591 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Prohibited under the Payment Services Directive 2 for over a year now; also was generally against the merchant agreements the retailer had with the banks/provider before then although that required reporting them and waiting to see if anything was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

How do you report them

My local shop charges 50C surcharge to top up a leap card by card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,337 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

So what do you do in this case, who do you report it to. Is there any penalty for doing it or is it just a case of the card company telling them stop?

LizardKing wrote: »

That article says
    "Already there is evidence of some companies replacing the card surcharge with a ‘service charge’,” said the Consumer Council. “ We may also see more businesses impose a minimum spending limit, or a refusal of card payments altogether."

This is what I'm on about there calling it a service charge, is that a loophole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

yep ... read this too

https://www.csna.ie/credit-debit-card-surcharges/

looks like it might be ok for services and if they have a notice up

LizardKing wrote: »
    yep ... read this too

https://www.csna.ie/credit-debit-card-surcharges/

looks like it might be ok for services and if they have a notice up

They have to charge the service charge for cash too, in that case.

This isn't something written in a manner to allow weaseling around it, e.g. "discounts for cash" or just renaming the surcharge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

My local mace do these 50c charges for credit, leap card, gas/electricity card top ups. So I can report these chancers?

It only started happening when it went from Irish owner to Pakistani owned. They also now sell "not for individual sale" items individually.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    My local mace do these 50c charges for credit, leap card, gas/electricity card top ups. So I can report these chancers?

Payzone would probably be the quickest and easiest way really.
    They also now sell "not for individual sale" items individually.

This is not illegal nor is there anything wrong with the products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I've noticed that Just-Eat charge a card processing fee?

Also, when you order by card some places charge €1 extra for card payments, so they're either unaware of the change or simply nobody has reported them?

• Advertisement

Just Eat changed to charging the same fee for cash as a 'service fee'; which is legit as it is charged to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

It only started happening when it went from Irish owner to Pakistani owned. They also now sell "not for individual sale" items individually.

I don't blame them for doing this , the big brands will sell massively discounted multipacks to the big retailers and make it impossible for them to compete without doing things like this, the margins aren't great on lots of items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I don't blame them for doing this , the big brands will sell massively discounted multipacks to the big retailers and make it impossible for them to compete without doing things like this, the margins aren't great on lots of items

Yeah I know what you mean but it's just a little odd when you can clearly see on the can of coke that it's part of a multi pack and they clearly know what they're doing. I don't mind, it's just an observation. What annoys me is their ridiculous 50c charges.
    I noticed they charge it to smaller phone top up amounts but not for the €20 top up.

The top up is a different story, the retailers are charged more than the face value or the smaller top ups. By right the 50cent charge on €5 shouldn't be allowed but payzone advised retailers to up their price on the smaller top up. It should be a €5.50 top up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

L1011 wrote: »
    This is not illegal nor is there anything wrong with the products.
    Usually multipack products have the legally required packaging information(ingredients, allergen info, nutritional info etc) on the outside packaging not on the individual items, so it might not be legal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Usually multipack products have the legally required packaging information(ingredients, allergen info, nutritional info etc) on the outside packaging not on the individual items, so it might not be legal

+1, and also often the use by or best before date.

Advertisement