Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your favourite Beatles album?

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wolfgang to his mother. 'Pop' is a flippant dismissal of a sound that radically evolved within a few short years. They are regarded in many quarters as the greatest band of the last century, that's an insurance policy against being forgotten in a hurry.
    Pretty much. People forget that guys like Mozart became and remain famous because they wrote music that was extremely popular when it was current and over time. They in essence wrote "pop music"*. If charts had been around guys like him would have hogged the number one position on the regular and he played sold out gigs throughout his life. If modern media was around it might have headlines like "Are you a Mozart or Beethoven fan" a la the Blur/Oasis, Stones/Beatles fan splits. There were also other composers around, some were one hit wonders, others were jobbing composers and musicians who made a living but that was about it. Just like today. Every era threw up a couple of greats and those are the ones we remember. No doubt there will be a few people who will have heard of someone like Frank Zappa in a few centuries time, but many more will have heard of The Beatles.

*because there emerged a high/low brow thing in later years, we also forget that someone like Shakespeare was mass market drama very much aimed at the cheap seats. Opera was extremely "pop music" in intent and background, as was the vast majority of art. Raphael when he finished a painting would often be cheered by crowds in the street as he brought the finished work to its buyer. Going way back there are accounts of Greek playwrights and poets being mobbed by adoring fans when they showed up to the Greek colonies in Italy and we remember them too.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Wibbs wrote: »
    No doubt there will be a few people who will have heard of someone like Frank Zappa in a few centuries time, but many more will have heard of The Beatles.

Dear Jebus, there will be a time when FZ is practically forgotten. Time to get the old CD time capsule out from under the stairs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Written and recorded in the space of 48 months (Sep 1965 - Aug 1969):
    When you look it like that; 48 months, it is a truly incredible level of output and creativity. It would be incredible on its own if their style had stayed the same, but that it changed and expanded in so many directions so rapidly in the latter half of that timeframe almost beggars belief. Never mind that the period was one of rapid change, both socially and musically. When they started it was the early days of rock and roll and more locally skiffle and records were laid down mostly directly onto wax disks and by the end of their run it was 16, even 24 track recording(they did most of their stuff on 4 track), world tours, synths coming in etc and they still stayed on top right to the end.

Look at album covers. The vast majority were a usually stilted photo of the artist, their cover art started to push that and by Pepper it blew it out of sight. You know those covers with lyrics written on them? They did that first. Lists of engineers etc? Ditto. Gatefold cover? Ditto. Even the sleeves inside the cover were decorated and it came with cut out "free gifts, cos drugs. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

storker wrote: »
    I couldn't isolate one...but a few contenders (based on what I've listened to lately) would be:

Tin Soldier - The Small Faces
    White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
    I Can't Explain - The Who
    Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
    The First Cut is the Deepest - P.P. Arnold

Now, maybe they're not deserving of the all time No. 1 spot for the decade (back to subjectivity again) but I wouldn't rate Waterloo Sunset higher than any of them, as much as I like it.

Well, I was right about not agreeing. :p. We clearly have very different musical tastes . Wouldn't rate any of those as exceptional at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

trashcan wrote: »
    Well, I was right about not agreeing. :p. We clearly have very different musical tastes . Wouldn't rate any of those as exceptional at all.

If you don't rate Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones, not only should you not be in thread about music, you need to delete your account and go off and stand in a corner. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭trashcan

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you don't rate Gimme Shelter by the Rolling Stones, not only should you not be in thread about music, you need to delete your account and go off and stand in a corner. :pac:

You wot :eek:

We're going well off topic here, but when it comes to over rated, the Stones would be near the top of my list. To suggest that Gimme Shelter is even close to Waterloo Sunset as a song is almost blasphemous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Cienciano wrote: »
    I love Pink Floyd but hate that song too. Skip up until the guitar solo

Yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

mzungu wrote: »
    These days I view that more as a Dave Gilmour solo project but going under the PF banner. Both The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason are really good albums in their own right. Not the best of Floyd by a long shot, but very well crafted music nonetheless.

I think they are unadulterated ****. Well crafted **** but **** all the same. Aural chloroform.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I think they are unadulterated ****. Well crafted **** but **** all the same. Aural chloroform.

I wouldn't completely agree but I gave this a like for the phrases "well-crafted ****" and "aural chlorofrom" which I will definitely be plagiarising. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

0d7.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement