Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Beatles album?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

1 Let It Be
    2 The Beatles
    3 Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I mean, I'm not a massive classic rock lad, any of it really, but one of my favorite albums ever is Wish You Were Here. That album has more feeling and depth (for me anyway) than some annoying Bungalow Bill/Good Morning psychedelic bum. I listen to a Beatles song, go "nice tune" and forget about it. I hear Shine On, and I get completely blown away/sucked in, for the whole twenty six minutes its on.

Revolver is a great album though.

On the whole psychedelic music thing though as well, I think Piper at the Gates of Dawn is a much better album than Sgt Peppers.

Not a massive Floyd fan though in general, despite the post lol.
    Funny enough I could never see the attraction of Floyd. I fully understand and appreciate why they're so well liked and revered, but never appealed to me. I find them a bit Eh lads, great song, but could we cut it in half? :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1 He was a very interesting drummer. Being a leftie playing a right handed kit was some of it. I find him more a "percussionist" of sorts. He's not so much a drummers drummer if you know what I mean? He rarely played mad fills or was flashy or got into a groove, more a guy who wrote drum parts for specific songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

storker wrote: »
    Great song but best of the decade? Naah...but I guess we're both entitled to be wrong. :) Still, I'd put the Kinks up on my list with the others I mentioned.

What would your nomination be ? (I suspect I'm not going to agree :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Steve F wrote: »
    A lot of people feel the same about U2 especially Bono but if they voice their opinion they are stared at like they have 2 heads.It's not compulsory to like U2...or any other band.Personally I wouldn't cross the road to see U2. Music tastes, like a lot of other things in life, is subjective

U2 are routinely slagged off. The Beatles were clearly brilliant.

Subjectivity isn’t that important here. I might think Van Gogh is sh1te (I don’t but let’s pretend) but it wouldn’t matter because art experts disagree.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    What would your nomination be ? (I suspect I'm not going to agree :D)

I couldn't isolate one...but a few contenders (based on what I've listened to lately) would be:

Tin Soldier - The Small Faces
    White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
    I Can't Explain - The Who
    Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
    The First Cut is the Deepest - P.P. Arnold

Now, maybe they're not deserving of the all time No. 1 spot for the decade (back to subjectivity again) but I wouldn't rate Waterloo Sunset higher than any of them, as much as I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,673 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yamanoto wrote: »
    All you need is cash

Indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,846 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

A lot of people feel the same about U2 especially Bono but if they voice their opinion they are stared at like they have 2 heads.It's not compulsory to like U2

If anything, it's the complete opposite with U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Blue Album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭VeryTerry

The Beatles were way before my time but I can't say I'm in to them at all. Obviously I understand their significance to pop music but for me the likes of the Sonics and the Animals were better and a bit less dated now. Respect to them all the same because I probably wouldn't know the aforementioned bands if the Beatles didn't popularise 60s garage rock in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

U2 are routinely slagged off.
    Aye and I can't think of another band who stayed pretty close to the leading edge of change and general popularity that they did for so long. Sure they're a cabaret act now, and a bloody good one, but for well over twenty years they were producing songs that were keeping up with those coming behind them. Madonna would be another example. Bowie too. Most if they stay going at all, do a Stones and have a real high point relatively early on and ride that wave all the way to old age and world tours trading on spectacle and nostalgia sponsored by credit card companies. To be fair the Stones had a few peaks. Initially as part of the "British Invasion" of the sixties, then got more grunge as they started to trust themselves rather than compete with others(in particular the Beatles) and then in the early seventies had their final peak at the cutting edge. From then on in it was cabaret and reputation.

That's another aspect where the Beatles "won". By mistake. They split up. Right at their peak of innovation and popular relevance. They avoided looking like old wine in new bottles and cabaret. Stuck forever young and relevant, no Frog Song or Oh Yoko.
    Subjectivity isn’t that important here. I might think Van Gogh is sh1te (I don’t but let’s pretend) but it wouldn’t matter because art experts disagree.
    Do not get me started on art experts. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Indeed.

Intro sound familiar...

To be fair Paul Weller and the lads were big fans of the scousers so admitted that at the time. :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    Funny enough I could never see the attraction of Floyd. I fully understand and appreciate why they're so well liked and revered, but never appealed to me. I find them a bit Eh lads, great song, but could we cut it in half? :D

I thought the opposite about Wish You Were Here (the song), I could stay with it for a few more verses but instead they cut it brutally short as if it was half finished.

I never could get into Floyd either, a bit too up themselves I find, but there are some tracks I like a lot e.g. Wish You Were Here, Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb, The Gunner's Dream and a few others I can't think of right now, so they do have a place on my Spotify Playlist. I can't stand Another Brick in the Wall, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

In the sense that people tend to go on about them as if there was no other music going on in the 60's, and I keep hearing how much they influenced everything else, but I never I've never actually seen such influence in evidence that couldn't be attributed to any or a number of other bands from the era. Except maybe Oasis.

For you, perhaps, but it may disappoint you to know that there is no "Book of Brilliant", there's just what people like. But do feel free to demonstrate, using empirical, scientifically testable evidence, that there was no better song prior to 1967. Actually I find Strawberry Fields to be a bit of a bore as songs go, but I can't prove that it is because that's just a subjective opinion - just like yours.

I don't need to Google anything - I don't care what it is, because it's not relevant to the point. Amount-of-stuff-going-on is no indicator of anything. If it was, we'd only ever listen to symphonies by orchestras.

I don't play guitar. I am learning the drums, though, and in the course of my drum-related explorations I watched a very interesting video about what Ringo Starr's drumming added to the Beatles' music, and how it was more unique than many people (including me) might have imagined. It game me a new respect for someone I used to dismiss as "just the Beatles' drummer".

I don't care if someone doesn't like The Beatles. It's the use of the word 'overrated' that bugs me. Just say The Beatles aren't your thing if you don't like them. "I don't like them" is a subjective opinion. "They're overrated" suggests you're going to come up with a more compelling argument than "lol they're shite".

And saying there's a lot going on in Strawberry Fields Forever or that there's a lot of exotic instruments on it isn't a subjective opinion. There is a lot going on and there are a lot of exotic instruments on it. There isn't a lot going on just for me. There's a lot going on in the song full stop.

That would be like me saying Mariah Carey can't sing just because her music doesn't appeal to me, someone telling me that she has a five octave vocal range and me replying with "that's just your opinion".

It's very relevant to point out how much work went into something when someone is calling it overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

I couldn't isolate one...but a few contenders (based on what I've listened to lately) would be:

Tin Soldier - The Small Faces
    White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane
    I Can't Explain - The Who
    Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones
    The First Cut is the Deepest - P.P. Arnold

Now, maybe they're not deserving of the all time No. 1 spot for the decade (back to subjectivity again) but I wouldn't rate Waterloo Sunset higher than any of them, as much as I like it.

Some great tunes there. Tin soldier is class. What a voice Steve Marriott had. Very underrated. Gimme shelter for the female vocal is unreal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

To whoever said the white album, it was full of filler! I do love it but huge negative marks for not being able to kill door darlings. Would have made a top single album.

I like abbey road. Love the medley, George Harrison came into his own and we get a John classic in come together.

I don't care if someone doesn't like The Beatles. It's the use of the word 'overrated' that bugs me. Just say The Beatles aren't your thing if you don't like them. "I don't like them" is a subjective opinion. "They're overrated" suggests you're going to come up with a more compelling argument than "lol they're shite".

They're not my thing and I still think they're overrated and I've explained why. You don't have to like it or agree with it, but I stand by it.
    And saying there's a lot going on in Strawberry Fields Forever or that there's a lot of exotic instruments on it isn't a subjective opinion. There is a lot going on and there are a lot of exotic instruments on it. There isn't a lot going on just for me. There's a lot going on in the song full stop.

True, and I agree there's a lot going on it but claiming that because of that it's better than everything else is too much of a jump, and that's when things become subjective.
    That would be like me saying Mariah Carey can't sing just because her music doesn't appeal to me, someone telling me that she has a five octave vocal range and me replying with "that's just your opinion".

That's not a great analogy, because, I'm not saying the Beatles couldn't sing, or play, or write songs, or play them well. I'm saying that there were plenty of other groups around at the time who could do all those things too, and I get the impression that people go on too much about the Beatles when there were equally-talented contemporaries around and that's what I mean by overrated.
    It's very relevant to point out how much work went into something when someone is calling it overrated.

I think you're on dodgy ground there. Mere work expended is not guarantee of quality in most walks of life (except maybe the gym). What not just accept that in music, as in art, as in literature and poetry there are lots of conflicting opinions that don't jibe with each other. Such is life. Why get upset over it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

trashcan wrote: »
    That's ok, you're entitled to be wrong. :p The Kinks were better than all of the above on your list, never mind the Beatles. Incidentally, while the Beatles were undoubtedly the band of the sixties, in my view anyway, they didn't produce the best song of the decade for my money. That award goes to Ray Davies/ The Kinks and "Waterloo Sunset."

Truly a great song , I go for " all or nothing " The small faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

I thought the opposite about Wish You Were Here (the song), I could stay with it for a few more verses but instead they cut it brutally short as if it was half finished.

I never could get into Floyd either, a bit too up themselves I find, but there are some tracks I like a lot e.g. Wish You Were Here, Run Like Hell, Comfortably Numb, The Gunner's Dream and a few others I can't think of right now, so they do have a place on my Spotify Playlist. I can't stand Another Brick in the Wall, though.

They were great as the Syd Barrett falling the fùck apart supporting band, and for Wish You Were Here and DSOTM, where things just fell into place incredibly well and everyone worked together at what they were good at.

As the Roger Waters ran band though, they were fùcking pretentious and puerile as bum. And post Syd, pre Darkside, they didn't really know what the fùck they were doing, though they have their moments.

The Gilmour albums after Roger left though are some of the worst albums I've ever heard, at least Roger's era had Dogs, Comfortably Numb, The Gunners Dream, the odd thing like that.

physioman wrote: »
    Some great tunes there. Tin soldier is class. What a voice Steve Marriott had. Very underrated.

I saw him live a few times around London in the late 80's in small venues and he was amazing, that pounding R&B sound and that powerful voice coming from the little guy with dungarees and mullet. Of course the Small Faces and Humble Pie days were long over and it was "Steve Marriott and his Packet of Three" and later, after the taxman got hold of him, "Steve Marriott and the Official Receivers".

At one gig a university student band kicked things off with a few U2 numbers and such like and they were fine. I was interested to see that they and their fans stuck around to see Marriott. He wandered out on stage, made some joke about the venue and then launched straight into a blistering version of Watcha Gonna Do About It. I looked at the kids to check their reaction and they looked spellbound and they stayed that way until he finished. It looked like they were thinking "So that's how it's done..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭sicknotexi

Revolver
    Abbey Road
    Sgt Pepper/ White Album/Rubber Soul (depending on mood)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

They were great as the Syd Barrett falling the fùck apart supporting band, and for Wish You Were Here and DSOTM, where things just fell into place incredibly well and everyone worked together at what they were good at.

As the Roger Waters ran band though, they were fùcking pretentious and puerile as bum. And post Syd, pre Darkside, they didn't really know what the fùck they were doing, though they have their moments.

The Gilmour albums after Roger left though are some of the worst albums I've ever heard, at least Roger's era had Dogs, Comfortably Numb, The Gunners Dream, the odd thing like that.

These days I view that more as a Dave Gilmour solo project but going under the PF banner. Both The Division Bell and A Momentary Lapse of Reason are really good albums in their own right. Not the best of Floyd by a long shot, but very well crafted music nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Talking to people about how great The Beatles were is often a total waste of time. It's kinda like saying, "I've seen this amazing sport called football, have you ever heard of it?"

The point being that they're literally the most famous and acclaimed band of all time: there's not much left to add in many respects.

Still though...

I was a committed metal head growing up and anything that didn't have crunching distorted guitars and a vocalist screaming their head off wasn't much of an interest to me. But when I reached 18/19 my ears needed a bit more and I started to let go of my prejudices about other genres of music and I started to go back and listen to all the greats from the 60's and 70's.

What a time that was, really discovering all the proper legends and my knowledge and appreciation of music grew and grew. This was the early to mid-noughties, the last hurrah of spending twenty quid on an album by someone you hadn't heard before, you'd just read about. And to justify the outlay I'd listen to albums again and again and again. I listened to nothing but Trout Mask Replica for about a fortnight straight at one stage, because it was famous and I was going to try to understand it dammit' - I don't know if I succeeded there, but I love that album for what it is.

Anyways, I digress, but I got a fairly good handle on all of the big hitters from that era. The Who did nothing for me. I appreciated Bob Dylan, though I never crossed over into the evangelical fandom phase. Pink Floyd were great in places. The Kinks were solid - occasionally amazing. The Doors were kind of perceived as a bit of a joke, but I'd put them up there with the very best - the amount of classic tunes they wrote was obscene. The Rolling Stones were amazing and dangerous. The Beach Boys were obviously great, fantastic melodies, but maybe a bit overrated for me. Who else made an impression? Creedance, Zepplin, Velvet Underground, King Crimson, Neil Young, Townes Van Zandt, The Stooges - ah, there's loads more, but those were the ones that did it for me the most.

But, man, The Beatles. The Beatles were number fcking one. The melodies. The harmonies. The variety. The innovation. The absolutely insane artistic growth they displayed over such a short space of time. The distinctiveness of a Lennon song to a McCartney song - and then, eventually, a George song - the magic when a collabaration worked. The way they never had a fallow period, they just kept evolving and changing right up until the point where they just stopped dead. I don't listen to them religiously anymore, but when I meet one of their songs every now and again it usually precipitates a major binge for a little while and I still love the tunes even after hearing them a thousand times. Hand on heart, I actually think because they were that good that, if anything, they're underrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

I'm just about old enough to remember the Beatles during their heyday. I thought they were alright at the time, like anyone, but I dislike a lot of the beard stroking and over analyses. You'd think young fellas and young ones would have their own bands they can like, how can anyone aged under 40 listen to a group who broke up before they were even born?

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    I'm just about old enough to remember the Beatles during their heyday. I thought they were alright at the time, like anyone, but I dislike a lot of the beard stroking and over analyses. You'd think young fellas and young ones would have their own bands they can like, how can anyone aged under 40 listen to a group who broke up before they were even born?

That argument is wafer thin. Why listen to 18th century classical music, Mozart who. Sometimes there is a timelessness which transcends fickle punditry & passing fads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

That argument is wafer thin. Why listen to 18th century classical music, Mozart who. Sometimes there is a timelessness that transcends fickle punditry.
    First of all Mozart was his surname.

Also, I'm not saying nobody should listen to The Beatles. But ultimately all they are are pop musicians. Mozart will still be remembered in two hundred years, will The Beatles? I doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

KungPao wrote: »
    Tough one. I think I'd have to say The Best of the Beatles.

Exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.
    Textbook.

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    First of all Mozart was his surname.

Also, I'm not saying nobody should listen to The Beatles. But ultimately all they are are pop musicians. Mozart will still be remembered in two hundred years, will The Beatles? I doubt it.

Wolfgang to his mother. 'Pop' is a flippant dismissal of a sound that radically evolved within a few short years. They are regarded in many quarters as the greatest band of the last century, that's an insurance policy against being forgotten in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Lot of love for The White Album, I have to agree, it's my favourite Beatles album. Let It Be is their most underrated album imho.
    A lot of people feel the same about U2 especially Bono but if they voice their opinion they are stared at like they have 2 heads.It's not compulsory to like U2...or any other band.Personally I wouldn't cross the road to see U2. Music tastes, like a lot of other things in life, is subjective

This makes no sense, but I liked U2 up to (not including) Achtung Baby. Now I fúcking hate them, to the point I can't even enjoy their older stuff any more. Bono is such a tosser I can't even enjoy Where The Streets Have No Name or Bad any more.
    I can't stand Another Brick in the Wall, though.
    I love Pink Floyd but hate that song too. Skip up until the guitar solo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭FreshTendrils

Written and recorded in the space of 48 months (Sep 1965 - Aug 1969):

Rubber Soul
    Revolver
    Sgt Pepper
    Magical Mystery Tour
    The White Album
    Abbey Road
    Let it Be
    Past Masters Volume 2

That's a shocking level of creativity.
    Right now my favourite is Abbey Road but it changes every year or so.

Advertisement