Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emergency tax question

• 18-02-2019 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

I changed job at the beginning of the year but my bonus for 2018 from my previous employment is still due to me (expect it next month).
    As I am now fully on the revenue system as only being employed by my new employer, what happens when my old employer processes my bonus ?

I assume I pay a crap ton of tax on it ?
    Do I need to manually claim this back or would my salary from my new employer be taxed less to make up the difference ? :confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

The old employer will commence you for the payment and look for an RPN from ROS. Their payroll will initially set you to emergency tax. Since your credits/cutoff are all allocated to the new employer the ROS instruction which comes back should be nil credits/cutoff. So you’d pay high rate tax and USC and normal PRSI. The old employer will then file that on ROS and cease you again.

However, would your expected earnings in 2019 apart from the bonus leave you with some higher rate exposure anyway? If so then you’d be due to pay high rate anyway on the bonus. If not then you could have some refund due on the difference in rates. Since the P forms (P45/P50) are now defunct since 01/01/19 I’m not sure how you’d get that back during the year although a year end review (which Revenue now say will be pretty much automatic) would throw up any refund anyway.

Advertisement