Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Increase mortage to repay loan from family used to renovate house

Options
  • 18-02-2019 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi All,

a friend of mine has come to me with a problem he has... he bought a house a few years ago and ended up borrowing money from a family member to do the renovations before moving in (which cost more than envisaged)... the family member now wants his money back asap and my friend (who thought he had 10 years to pay it back) is now trying to raise the money asap....

As far as I know the banks don't do any real equity release nowadays... or do they? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could advise him? Total amount is about 60k or so and the ltv is less than 50%.

Thanks,
    s ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What will the new LTV be if he gets this finance?

Does he have documentation for the investment he made (planning, receipts, certificates)?

I think he needs to talk to the bank or the broker he originally got the loan through.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sami2015

Hi Antoinolachtnai,

Thanks for that; the new LTV would be less than 60%. Receipts exist for parts of the renovation and the renovations were undertaken with knowledge of the bank (just not the full scale of some changes/reroofing which were needed due to rot of some timbers, etc not discovered until the project was ongoing. No planning was needed for the project and the engineer's certificates etc showing compliance with building regs are available.

I will advise contact with the original bank.... anyone got any experience of this working out retrospectively to the renovations?

Thanks and regard,
    s ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

He can plan a remortgage that includes building an extension. Just provide a builder quote for the required extra amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It all sounds like good business for the bank. They have a solid asset which has been made more solid as a result of the work. He just needs to find someone in the bank who can earn a commission from advancing the extra loan and will drive it forward.

Advertisement