Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting strobe grill lights to car?

Options
  • 16-02-2019 8:31pm

Howdy folks.

I appreciate this isn't a home/garden topic, but can't seem to find a better suited place (and reckon anyone with a small bit of electrical know-how might be able to help).

Friend of mine has a car, and works on building sites. New rules came in from the boss that to have the car driving around on the sites, they have to be fitted with amber leds/grill lights etc.

Friend drives across the sites a lot, so wants to get them. His car is an 04 (I think) Astra, so he doesn't want to spend anything on it.

So he's looking at stuff like this online:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-6-Amber-LED-Flashing-Grill-Strobes-Warning-Lights-Bar-Recovery-Breakdown-12V/272720003503?hash=item3f7f6101af:g:-6UAAOSwgv5ZQ0iB:rk:19:pf:0

And is confused, as, much like myself, he presumed there's be loads of options where you just clip the lights on and power them from the 12v, and can take them off when you don't want them or want to sell the car or whatever.

Figure a few people who post on here might work on building sites or such (I presume a few tradesmen post here) and these seem fairly common, so I'm sure there's an easy enough way about getting them sorted.

Would anyone know how you'd actually wire the lights I linked to, above, to a car, or alternatively, can anyone link to some that are 'ready to use' (ie; already have the 12v socket insert wired on)?

Cheers to anyone who may know about this. I'm completely clueless. Apparently the rule on the site is something to the effect of 2 lights to the front and two to the back, so it rules out just sticking one in the windscreen (i can seem to find that online!).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Howdy folks.

I appreciate this isn't a home/garden topic, but can't seem to find a better suited place (and reckon anyone with a small bit of electrical know-how might be able to help).

Friend of mine has a car, and works on building sites. New rules came in from the boss that to have the car driving around on the sites, they have to be fitted with amber leds/grill lights etc.

Friend drives across the sites a lot, so wants to get them. His car is an 04 (I think) Astra, so he doesn't want to spend anything on it.

So he's looking at stuff like this online:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-6-Amber-LED-Flashing-Grill-Strobes-Warning-Lights-Bar-Recovery-Breakdown-12V/272720003503?hash=item3f7f6101af:g:-6UAAOSwgv5ZQ0iB:rk:19:pf:0

And is confused, as, much like myself, he presumed there's be loads of options where you just clip the lights on and power them from the 12v, and can take them off when you don't want them or want to sell the car or whatever.

Figure a few people who post on here might work on building sites or such (I presume a few tradesmen post here) and these seem fairly common, so I'm sure there's an easy enough way about getting them sorted.

Would anyone know how you'd actually wire the lights I linked to, above, to a car, or alternatively, can anyone link to some that are 'ready to use' (ie; already have the 12v socket insert wired on)?

Cheers to anyone who may know about this. I'm completely clueless. Apparently the rule on the site is something to the effect of 2 lights to the front and two to the back, so it rules out just sticking one in the windscreen (i can seem to find that online!).

Presumably the control box also has the on-off switch, so that would want to be mounted somewhere inside the car, and route wiring out to the lights, or else fit an on-off switch inside the car and connect the 12v supply wiring from the battery into a fuse unit, then into the newly fitted switch, and out to the control box fitted in engine bay.

The control box probably is not waterproof anyway, and so fitting that inside the car might be better.

There are many ways to do it. None are overly simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Will his boss not offer to fit and pay for them or at the very least recommend where they can be fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Where are these rules being quoted from. We go on to site the whole time and all we have is two magnetic beacons on the roof. One on the front and one on the back on opposite corners. As far as im aware the only criteria is that the lights can be seen from 360 deg around the van

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Where are these rules being quoted from. We go on to site the whole time and all we have is two magnetic beacons on the roof. One on the front and one on the back on opposite corners. As far as im aware the only criteria is that the lights can be seen from 360 deg around the van

Not sure if they're new rules or if they were just very lax about actually enforcing them. Friend reckons no one really ever bothered with lights before (Except contractors who had stuff on their work vans coming and going).

Never thought about the magnetic beacons. Will suggest that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Britax and others make roof magnetic ones.

I have a double spin at home that has the 55 watt bulbs in them so they are bright....

You can get all fancy led ones now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

You can get battery operated round LED amber flashing lights, they have 3 different flashing modes - flashing, rotation & SOS
    They run on 3 x AAA batteries, fully waterproof, with strong magnet so will stick on car bonnet, roof etc. so 2 of them on a vehicle on site should satisfy the safety officer's requirements, cost about €16.00 each
    If you use rechargeable batteries, they'll last years - small charger costs €10.00 approx
    M.

Advertisement