Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soya mince- safe to eat cold after a few days?

Options
  • 09-02-2019 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Don't have time for cooking often so was thinking of cooking a pot of chilli using soya mince , putting in fridge and eating cold over the next few days at lunch (We don't have cooking facilities at work).Or freezing batches and defrosting and eating cold. Don't mind about the taste really, just want to increase my protein . Is it safe to eat without reheating well? It's probably a general food safety thing really and doesn't just apply to soya.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I can’t answer your question definitively but take this away with you - chick peas, avocado, chopped garlic, lemon juice and a pinch of salt is a superb cold lunch, maybe with a bit of bread.

Super easy to throw together, no cooking and good protein levels.

Or learn how to make seitan (hint: it’s a doddle) - it keeps for days and is extremely high in protein.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yea it's fine, do it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Yea it's fine, do it all the time.

Great. Thanks for experimenting for me! It's the cheapest protein source so will have 2 or 3 times a week for lunch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah lots of protein and can be in lasagne, bolognaise, pasta sauce, shepardless pie etc, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Yeah that will be grand! It lasts longer than meat in my experience, and you can cook it straight from frozen which is so handy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Anyone know if there's calcium in soya mince. I know tofu has some but can't find any info online re soya mince

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

OK so assuming the soya mince is 100% soya beans, and assuming whatever processing they did didn't destroy the calcium (it survives cooking so I guess it's hardy to processing too?) , it should have, 277 mg per 100g (RDA = 1000mg)

( It doesn't have any vitamin D though, unless it's fortified, and if I remember my junior cert stuff correctly your body needs a bit of vitD with its calcium if it's going to use it for your bones )

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

On the issue of calcium and soy - bear in mind that Soya is also high in phytic acid - sometimes referred to as an anti-nutrient, which can lead to the absorption of less iron, zinc, calcium, manganese and magnesium.

Phytic acid in soy is not neutralized by ordinary preparation methods such as soaking, sprouting or long, slow cooking. 

Advertisement