Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2G GSM supported in Ireland?

Options
  • 25-01-2019 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

I have been using a "GSM Activate" 2G autodialler connected to a contact on my house alarm. It sends me a text if the alarm goes off. It was working up to 9th December but no more. The sim card is from Tesco Mobile. The sim card works ok if I put it in a phone but not any more in the autodialler. I suspect that 2G service might no longer be available here in Rathmines. Also the autodialler could have developed a fault. It shows a fault light indicating no signal. The Tesco Mobile signal is OK when the sim card is put in a phone.
    Does anyone know if Tesco Mobile has withdrawn 2G in this area? I tried an Eir sim card but no luck. Is any other company supporting 2G?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It should be OK. If service was not available it would not work on the phone either.
    Have you tried power cycling the dialler with the sim?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tesco Mobile sit on the old O2 network (mostly) which may be being wound down in the area; the 3 network is 3G+ only. Do a network scan on your phone and see if you get a 2G version of 3 showing.

2G is going to go but as far as I know neither Eir nor Vodafone have made moves yet, but the old O2 network has gone in a few places. This has reminded me that I really must check whether my panel has the 2G or 3G module installed in it and bawl the supplier out of it if its 2G (as its only about two years old)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It is really only in the last 12-18 months that alarm manufacturers have caught up with 3g.
    It's really old technology now with IP taking preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭kenobee

HI Koolkid and L1011, Thanks for replies.

Koolkid, I tried recycling alright. The phone I used to test the sim card was 3G so that's what got me wondering if 2G support had been withdrawn.

L1011, How would I do a network scan to see if 2G of 3G is available?

What networks sim are you using?
    I find Vodafone and Eir the best.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    What networks sim are you using?
    I find Vodafone and Eir the best.

Tesco Mobile

Tesco use Three network which has no 2 G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GIMP

KoolKid wrote: »
    Tesco use Three network which has no 2 G

Incorrect, 3 do have a 2g network, legacy from O2 days but they may have switched off a 2g cell in the area.

Easiest way to test is put Tesco sim in a phone, select 2g only on the phone and do a network search.

That way you know if 2g is still available at your address.

But can you still get SIM from Three thats 2G enabled. They told me you couldn't

I bought a sim card for vodafone. The autodialler still does not work with the vodafone sim. I would like to be able to check is 2g available directly myself. Is there any android app that can show what GSM services are being received?

• Advertisement

Just an update on my 2G problem. I got the autodialler to work on Vodafone. When I tried it first, the Vodafone signal in my location was too weak. By moving the autodialler and using the Vodafone sim all was OK. I re-tried the Tesco Mobile sim which had been working for 4 years, and it would not work. The Tesco Mobile sim works OK in a mobile phone but not in the 2G autodialler.
    Thanks for the replies. Regards, Ken

Thanks for the update.

Advertisement