Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Repair crack in table leg.

• 17-01-2019 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭

I had to remove some broken hinges from our table gateleg to replace them. There is a crack in the upper section and I am wondering what the best way to repair.

I was going to try to get glue into the crack and clamp as tight as I can, is this the best way to fix? The new hinge is slightly longer and will span the crack with the screw being closer to the joint.

Would it be worth drilling and putting a dowel in to hold the crack closed?

What glue should I use?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

You can probably get away with injecting glue (evostick wood glue or like - should go clear on setting) and using a strap to clamp the leg in to make the crack smaller while glue setting. If not the best would be to put in a butterfly in the top of the leg to tie together (but this is difficult unless you are a wood worker)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭dathi

Vexorg wrote: »

Would it be worth drilling and putting a dowel in to hold the crack closed?

Thanks

a steel screw would be better than a dowel make sure you drill a pilot hole for the screw and counter sink it fill the countersink with a plug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

The whole aim of restoring is to do as little damage as possible. Simply work some PVA glue into the crack using a slip of veneer or plastic and clamp using a sash clamp. Leave it 24 hours to cure fully.

Advertisement