Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY conversion: register first, then convert at leisure?

Options
  • 14-01-2019 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭

I have a plan to buy a van (probably Sprinter) and do a custom conversion. Thing is, I don't have a huge amount of time available in a block so I hope to do the conversion in phases.

Can I, in the meantime, buy a van (commercial registration), re-register as private (pay VRT/VAT) and then do camper conversion over time? Is there a difference between 'private' and 'motorhome' and is there a point in a conversion where the class changes and I have to re-re-register (and pay extra VRT?)?

The plan is to first just insulate, panel and throw in a mattress for jobs away from home. Then, later on, do stuff like lighting, power, storage, services as time/money allows.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You can pay tax on private cc rates without paying VRT.
    Where you’d run into problems is putting side windows in.

Keep in mind cc rates on a sprinter will be very high.
    I don’t think you can register a sprinter as a car either way, but even if you could, you’d pay a much higher VRT rate than on a camper (admittedly a higher percentage of a lower value)

If I were you, I’d get the wiring, roof vents, flooring, insulation, taking bulkhead out etc done at this stage then leave the windows till last.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Hard to get private insurance on a van, camper insurance doesn't cover use for work.

If its really a camper, do a really basic conversion, vrt it as camper and then tart it up as you go.

If its for work then do a racevan style crewcab conversion with a bed up over the 'goods area'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

It's more about being a private vehicle that's liveable in. It wouldn't be carrying work equipment but would certainly be used to travel to various workplaces. I'd be thinking of the social, domestic, pleasure plus travel to work as you get in your standard car policy.

I'm only a novice here so I'm not (yet) clear on the VRT stuff. Is it the case that camper VRT is a special (lower) rate than private? Similarly for motor tax?

Is it permissible to use a camper for work from Revenue's point of view (assuming appropriate insurance)?

From the insurance point of view, would parking up a km or two from today's workplace and then cycling the remaining distance make it clear that it wasn't in use as a work vehicle?

On the other hand, a vehicle registered and insured commercial but kitted out as a camper is illegal yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think the scenario you are describing will be very difficult to do from an insurance point of view, what insurance companies want to do is insure you as a type X vehicle.
    What they dislike is insuring a vehicle which could be X or Y or Z , they can't assess risk based on variable factors like a commercial van that has been partially converted to a camper and is being used as a private vehicle.
    I very much doubt that you will be able to insure it as a camper unless it has been 100% converted to the requirements and VRT paid and taxed as a Camper.
    In your case I would suggest you just buy it and get it converted to the standard the SQI requires and then VRT/Tax and only then move forward with Insurance.

Yeah, it's starting to look that way the more I read. Thanks for helpful responses...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Search for insurance tread here, you'll find a few!!.
    I would look at getting an empty can doing a simple conversion, VRT and insure insure it. If you have a car on the road your insurance will be 350 to 400 euros. If you don't it will be 700 to 800 if you can get it.

Or a much simpler approach would be to buy a van that has a simple conversion in it that is VRT'd and change it to suit your self it need to.

Before you buy it check the insurance out on that specific van.

Interestingly, the MCC's FAQ on the subject says:
    This insurance policy is full and complete; there are no restrictions, terms or conditions and you don’t have to have another vehicle
    So being a named driver on somebody else's policy and 3 years no claims suggests I could use it for work-related stuff on the campervan policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Interestingly, the MCC's FAQ on the subject says:

So being a named driver on somebody else's policy and 3 years no claims suggests I could use it for work-related stuff on the campervan policy?

You might find that their policy is harder to obtain than some others...

Advertisement