Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby Degus

• 03-01-2019 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I am stuck in a bit of a predicament since one of my 'female' Degus was mis-gendered resulting in a bunch of fluffy little surprise pups which i would love to keep but will have to re-home at least some of them due to lack of space.

The easy solution would have been to drop them into a pet shop but I just dont have the heart to do it so here i am hoping that there might be a boardsie (or two) out there who would like to add some of these babies to their family.

Of course i dont want any money for them, I just want to have peace of mind of knowing they will be well looked after and much loved by somebody who is aware of their needs and of how these pets are a long-term commitment due to their lifespan.

It might be a good idea to give a heads up to anybody interested that i WILL be a sobbing mess when handing them over but there are only so many i can keep without being unfair to them :(

As mentioned, I am not keen on the idea of bringing them to a pet shop to be sold but if anybody knows a shop which genuinely cares about where the pets end up then I would absolutely appreciate any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

TaitsClock wrote: »
    I am stuck in a bit of a predicament since one of my 'female' Degus was mis-gendered resulting in a bunch of fluffy little surprise pups which i would love to keep but will have to re-home at least some of them due to lack of space.

The easy solution would have been to drop them into a pet shop but I just dont have the heart to do it so here i am hoping that there might be a boardsie (or two) out there who would like to add some of these babies to their family.

Of course i dont want any money for them, I just want to have peace of mind of knowing they will be well looked after and much loved by somebody who is aware of their needs and of how these pets are a long-term commitment due to their lifespan.

It might be a good idea to give a heads up to anybody interested that i WILL be a sobbing mess when handing them over but there are only so many i can keep without being unfair to them :(

As mentioned, I am not keen on the idea of bringing them to a pet shop to be sold but if anybody knows a shop which genuinely cares about where the pets end up then I would absolutely appreciate any suggestions!

The only pet shop I’d recommend is Shauna’s, we have adopted small flurries and although I don’t really agree with selling animals of any sort via pet shops, Shauna is great in terms of the welfare & is always up to date with current welfare guidelines for the small curries. She is incredibly picky about who she lets buy them. She also will help facilitate rehoming if possible.

There is the rabbit rooms & then also Irish Guinea Pig Rehoming Group, both on FB, they may be able to help. I’d offer but we’ve piggies and a lively terrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 TaitsClock

Great suggestions em, thanks! :)
    I have actually been to Shaunas a few months ago and do remember leaving the place with a better impression than i would normally get from pet shops. Although its quite a journey (i'm in the Limerick area) it is definitely one to keep in mind in case i will have to go ahead with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Had to google degus.. aww... Hope you find good homes.. 5 cats here so no use..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

em_cat wrote: »
    The only pet shop I’d recommend is Shauna’s, we have adopted small flurries and although I don’t really agree with selling animals of any sort via pet shops, Shauna is great in terms of the welfare & is always up to date with current welfare guidelines for the small curries. She is incredibly picky about who she lets buy them. She also will help facilitate rehoming if possible.

There is the rabbit rooms & then also Irish Guinea Pig Rehoming Group, both on FB, they may be able to help. I’d offer but we’ve piggies and a lively terrier.

Probably the worst typo ever :D

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Probably the worst typo ever :D

But maybe an idea for 'Plan C' .... :P

(Just kidding of course!)

• Advertisement

:)

They eat guinea pigs in some countries, ;)

Graces7 wrote: »
    They eat guinea pigs in some countries, ;)

Yep, I keep telling our girls how lucky they are!

Two of them have found a new home, sweet relief!
    I knew i should've had them sexed by a vet when i initially got them but i've never been great at listening to my own advice, definitely a lesson learned now!
    anyway, just said i'll update and mention that there are still plenty more available :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Two of them have found a new home, sweet relief!
    I knew i should've had them sexed by a vet when i initially got them but i've never been great at listening to my own advice, definitely a lesson learned now!
    anyway, just said i'll update and mention that there are still plenty more available :)

I'm really tempted!!!

• Advertisement

there are 3 boys available now but another litter due in a couple of days which will be available in around 6 weeks from now so there's loads of time to sleep over it and potentially get everything ready :D
    They're fantastic little things though, id keep them all if it wasnt for the lack of space and time.

Just to clarify: After the first litter was born i thought i should leave the male with the girls as he helps with the babies and that they would'nt mate again until the babies were weaned. Big mistake!!
    The females are actually most fertile in the 24 hours after giving birth so the male was supposed to be removed for a day, THEN placed back in with the girls.
    Needless to say they are now separated for good (or until he gets the snip!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

How have you managed to have a second litter in a few days time? Did you not seperate them quick enough?

there are 3 boys available now but another litter due in a couple of days which will be available in around 6 weeks from now so there's loads of time to sleep over it and potentially get everything ready :D
    They're fantastic little things though, id keep them all if it wasnt for the lack of space and time.

Just to clarify: After the first litter was born i thought i should leave the male with the girls as he helps with the babies and that they would'nt mate again until the babies were weaned. Big mistake!!
    The females are actually most fertile in the 24 hours after giving birth so the male was supposed to be removed for a day, THEN placed back in with the girls.
    Needless to say they are now separated for good (or until he gets the snip!)

Thanks. I needed a good laugh :)

This batch is too soon for me but the next one is a real possibility (if I can convince the wife it's a good idea)
    I've an IKEA bookcase I made up for hamsters that's sitting waiting to be used again.

Don't forget to separate the m/f babies in time:)

You'll need a fairly sizeable enclosure for degus. Usually cages designed for chinchillas are used. You need enough space to comfortably accommodate a bucket wheel and several toys. You should have a few different levels too. It doesn't need to be in the cage but degus also need to have access daily to a sand bath.

You'll need a fairly sizeable enclosure for degus. Usually cages designed for chinchillas are used. You need enough space to comfortably accommodate a bucket wheel and several toys. You should have a few different levels too. It doesn't need to be in the cage but degus also need to have access daily to a sand bath.

I've a 2x2 kallax bookcase adapted.

I had one temporarily in a blanket box with a wire lid. He chewed a hole big enough to escape out of in two days ;). Just something to be aware of.

How have you managed to have a second litter in a few days time? Did you not seperate them quick enough?

as mentioned, i thought they would not mate again until the babies were weaned at 4-6 weeks, i found out after that not removing the male for a couple of days was a huge mistake, hence the males and females are completely separated now to make sure this cant happen again. I do want the best for my pets and would never knowingly expose them to any risks, health or otherwise.

They currently live in large, 3 level metal cages with a second cage to be added to the girls cage when the new litter arrives. Im planning on removing one of the side walls and turning two cages into one huge space for the girls and possibly doing the same for the boys as they'll grow larger and require more space but hopefully theyll all have great homes by then.
    toys get switched out regularly to keep them busy (and to prevent them getting chewed up too quickly!)
    youre absolutely right about the sand baths, they love them, i just use a designated ceramic dish which they bathe in in the evenings after feeding time.

Tatranska, great idea, ikea has some great furniture to turn into cages (the detolf is great for hamsters too!!) but even though the kallax looks sturdy, id still keep a very close eye on them as they are known to chew through just about everything but metal. it could be fine of course but i just woulnt rely on it and prepare to get a metal cage if necessary.
    i really hope your wife will like the idea, theyre honestly lovely pets!
    there's plenty of time anyway and if you have any questions in the meantime feel free to send me a message, ill do my best to help :)

I had one temporarily in a blanket box with a wire lid. He chewed a hole big enough to escape out of in two days ;). Just something to be aware of.

this made me laugh, they really are terrors for it!

this made me laugh, they really are terrors for it!

Yeah, unfortunately I had to seperate my two boys and used the blanket box while I waited for the second cage to arrive. They weren't really fighting but one was gay and the other wasn't and was getting distressed so I put them side by side in seperate accommodation and supervised floor time together.

ah yeah the mounting :(
    i got a fright when i first saw it but they do this to establish the pecking order, girls do it too. its usually harmless and also done when play-fighting/wrestling but of course it can go too far, injuries or distress shouldnt happen from normal dominance displays.

how did you get on with that arrangement, it sounds like quite a bit of work having two 'lone' ones outside of the floor time?
    im just wondering about the demand of attention, mine are in groups and still mad clingy with me, if one of them was alone i think id have to give up my job and stay with him/her full-time :P

• Advertisement

They could still see, hear and smell each other at all times and both were happy enough with that arrangement. They both had nest boxes in their cages that my dad made and they were happy to sleep in them out of sight of the other so they weren't overly attached to each other.

it all worked out well so, fair play to you for figuring out a compromise for the two :)

and then there were...more!!

the new litter arrived tonight and everybody is alive and kicking :D

12 days old and not a dull moment already!!
    Look at that face :D
    https://qq0u.app.link/e/cjPgAtdEQT

12 days old and not a dull moment already!!
    Look at that face :D
    https://qq0u.app.link/e/cjPgAtdEQT

My cat says YUMMY!;)

Only kidding; lovely wee thing; thank you

Just a quick bump and heads up that the babies will be heading to a pet shop in 2 weeks time, just in case anybody would like to claim any before then :)
    that said, i still have 3 boys from the old litter who i cant bring into a shop as they are 3 months old now and have bonded with each other so i really want to make sure they stay together, if anyone is interested in 3 teenage boys!

Advertisement