Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 Cricket World Cup

Options
  • 25-06-2018 9:16pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I know there's a thread already on qualification, but given I've just got my initial ballot results maybe it's time to start a thread on the final tournament in England & Wales next year

The "cricket family" ballot has delivered tickets for me and my son for Australia vs Sri Lanka at the Oval and the Aussies vs SA at Old Trafford plus the OT semi final

The public ballot opens up on 1 August and I'll be aiming for something for the final plus India vs Pakistan at OT. That sub-continent match had many more applications in the first round than the final though!

I also missed out on England v s Pakistan at Trent Bridge, and I'll try that one again in the next application

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Going to be weird not having Ireland there now and with 45 games in one massive group it's going to hard for me to get too interested as a neutral I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'm quite looking forward to it, but I do also wonder if familiarity will breed contempt. I think it's a genuine shame they've chosen to further close shop, not open it. It'd have been much better with minnows as well as the established associates.

They could have easily had preliminary rounds in grounds around the country, there'd have been no shortage of grounds who I'm sure would have loved every bit of international exposure they could have gained.

Missed opportunities yet again for International cricket.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm quite looking forward to it, but I do also wonder if familiarity will breed contempt. I think it's a genuine shame they've chosen to further close shop, not open it. It'd have been much better with minnows as well as the established associates.

They could have easily had preliminary rounds in grounds around the country, there'd have been no shortage of grounds who I'm sure would have loved every bit of international exposure they could have gained.

Missed opportunities yet again for International cricket.

It's frustrating in that they've got proof that new countries can step up if you support them and give them opportunities, yet they seem to want to ignore it so they can re-run the same games over and over. We've seen Australia - England and Australia - India ODIs around 10 times each the last two years, now they have to play each other one more time, oh and of course there was the pretty much identical list of teams playing the Champions Trophy only 2 years ago too.

But of course the 2017 Champions Trophy highlights the massive problem with growing international cricket, while I was looking it up I read that the final between India and Pakistan got an estimated 300+ million viewers and is the 3rd highest watched game of all time, after India - Pak WC 2011 semifinal and India - Sri 2015 WC final... for ICC administrators focused on making money why bother growing the game to tiny little countries when you can get so much money simply by making sure Pakistan and India play each other again, it's lazy and depressing but when you let business men run the game it's what's going to happen

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,448 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

So managed to top up with the 2nd ballot

Now have tickets for 7 matches covering Australia (3), Sri Lanka (2), West Indies (2), England (2), New Zealand (2) and South Africa (1) plus the Old Trafford Semi Final

Can't complain about that. It does though highlight how popular India are, where I never got a look in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Awful format for this tournament.

Each team playing 9 group matches means it's going to be going on for about 3 weeks longer than it should be and there'll be an unbelievable amount of complete dead rubbers or semi dead rubbers (i.e one team having nothing to play for).

Surely there should be 14-16 teams in it and more than 1 group, when you see Rugby is always expanding it's world cup it seems like nonsense for Cricket to be reducing it when they should be looking to increase interest in the sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Awful format for this tournament.

Each team playing 9 group matches means it's going to be going on for about 3 weeks longer than it should be and there'll be an unbelievable amount of complete dead rubbers or semi dead rubbers (i.e one team having nothing to play for).

Surely there should be 14-16 teams in it and more than 1 group, when you see Rugby is always expanding it's world cup it seems like nonsense for Cricket to be reducing it when they should be looking to increase interest in the sport.
    Yes its an awful format but is 14-16 too many. It should have stayed at 12 this time round. Yes there will likely be a lot of dead rubbers, i wouldnt bother say semi-dead rubber. No need to as all are dead rubbers.
    Rugby knows it needs other countries to properly grow the sport are cricket authorities too bothered considering they have in India, Pakistan some of biggest countries in world playing and tv rights etc associated with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Yes its an awful format but is 14-16 too many. It should have stayed at 12 this time round. Yes there will likely be a lot of dead rubbers, i wouldnt bother say semi-dead rubber. No need to as all are dead rubbers.
    Rugby knows it needs other countries to properly grow the sport are cricket authorities too bothered considering they have in India, Pakistan some of biggest countries in world playing and tv rights etc associated with them.

True that the bigger countries keep things going but they should be looking at spreading out the sport more so that if things were to fall away a bit in it's traditional bases other countries could take up the slack by providing a new set of fans.Every other sport wants to spread it's base out, 40 - 50 years ago Golf was basically a sport for English speaking counties and now it's a proper global sport with top players from all over the world.

A world cup in England would have been massive for Irish cricket and I imagine it would have gotten the irish team loads of coverage here and could have been a great opportunity to increase interest in the sport with Ireland not being in the tournament the Cricket World Cup will get almost zero coverage in Ireland which is a pity fro the sport here.

Advertisement