Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S-Town (from Serial team)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Stories that go nowhere are sometimes the best kind? This is an incredible podcast which transcends the medium to some degree in my ears.

Rather than a story that needed to be finished even though its initial direction didn't pan out. I felt the interviewer stumbled across something far more interesting than a crime story which was obviously John B himself. From very early on he was the real mystery that I wanted to know more about. He is an incredibly fascinating and multilayered guy whom spending time in the company of himself and his story was compelling listening.

That all said the ethical questions around whether this should have gone to air really bother me as it was a very invasive character study of a man who never consented to any of his private life being exposed in this manner. A podcast of this nature was never discussed with John. It was especially uncomfortable when the interviewer decided to reveal details of a private conversation while citing an extremely weak argument related to John's after life beliefs. I felt uncomfortable at many points throughout the later episodes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Stories that go nowhere are sometimes the best kind? This is an incredible podcast which transcends the medium to some degree in my ears.

Rather than a story that needed to be finished even though its initial direction didn't pan out. I felt the interviewer stumbled across something far more interesting than a crime story which was obviously John B himself. From very early on he was the real mystery that I wanted to know more about. He is an incredibly fascinating and multilayered guy whom spending time in the company of himself and his story was compelling listening.

That all said the ethical questions around whether this should have gone to air really bother me as it was a very invasive character study of a man who never consented to any of his private life being exposed in this manner. A podcast of this nature was never discussed with John. It was especially uncomfortable when the interviewer decided to reveal details of a private conversation while citing an extremely weak argument related to John's after life beliefs. I felt uncomfortable at many points throughout the later episodes.

He clearly liked attention and possibly even planned all this though knowing that he was gonna do what he did.

Do a google search for his name. I didn't believe it wasn't just a story until I saw the pics of him. And his tattoos. And his maze.
    I thought it was a radio drama/play.
    This actually happened. It's bananas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Nowhere near as good as Serial. First half great, second half just descended into a character study. Was waiting for a twist that never came.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Unsubscribed bout half way through. Its rambling to nowhere.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just finished this today. I wasn't hoping for another Serial because to be honest I lost interest in Serial before the end of series one.

This one started out really well and I think from the first few played conversations with John B I was hoping to hear more from him and for more of a character study of him which is what we got. However, it did get the feeling of meandering in the final couple of episodes introducing multiple new people and never really wrapping up any loose ends - though that's real life I suppose, presumably the situation with Tyler and the cousin is ongoing, for example.
    I didn't feel uncomfortable for those bits but I can see why you might.
    John B was a highly intelligent man and spoke often of suicide knowing that that was going to be his end. It's hard to know if he'd have given the podcast any thought when thinking of the future after he was gone or not. I'd have expected him to have things well organised but his lack of a will says otherwise. I actually found that really hard to believe after how specific he'd been about the lads getting things when he was gone and expected to go back to that at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I really enjoyed it. I felt that John contacted the producers initially so that his story could be told, and that he would be well known. He sounds like a talented man and I'm glad his gifts have been shared widely.
    If I had known what the story was about I probably wouldn't have bothered listening so I'm glad I went in with little knowledge and just got caught up in the drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I thought it was good, but the last 2 episodes were dragged out. It could have been 5 or 6 episodes long. Definitely worth a listen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I still havent started listening to this - even though its on my feed....looking at the posts here i dont think ill bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Parchment wrote: »
    I still havent started listening to this - even though its on my feed....looking at the posts here i dont think ill bother!

Depends on what you're into really. 7 episodes aren't a big commitment and I'd say you'll definitely know after the 2nd if it's your thing or not.

I really enjoyed it overall but I can see how others might not. But I definitely think it's worth a listen to find out, it's well produced and the story is well told

Parchment wrote: »

Give it a go. It's troubled but only as a representation of how its main focus was.
    But it's definitely fascinating despite his troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

I can't stop thinking about it. It's sad and complex but so interesting. Certainly made my commute to work easier this week!

Carrie6OD wrote: »
    I can't stop thinking about it. It's sad and complex but so interesting. Certainly made my commute to work easier this week!

Exactly my take away from it.
    Pics of him online and his maze and the FB page for the podcast has pics of his clocks and sundials he made for the teacher etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

People are entitled to their opinions but I thought it was a really interesting and thought-provoking story. Thought it did a really good job in showing the complexity of human life and how it's so important to make every day that we're around count towards something. Certainly got me thinking anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Really enjoyed it.. Maybe there wasn't the satisfactory ending that one would like to tie up all the loose ends, but that's how life is sometimes. John is definitely a fascinating and complex character. The part with his friend/potential love interest was particularly heartbreaking.. Can't help feeling if either of them had been brave enough, things might have ended up far better for both of them.. He seemed like a lovely guy. All in all, this is probably what Serial S2 should've been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I enjoyed the first half of it.
    It lost its way big time in the last couple of episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

I finished it at the weekend and I really enjoyed it.

The trailer made it our to be a true crime/murder mystery which wasn't really an accurate representation of what the show was about. It was more of an in-depth character study of John B and his surroundings.

I had issues with Serial Season 1, and felt that it was subjective where it should have been objective. I felt this was a lot more considered, Brian didn't take sides and where there was two conflicting accounts, he gave both equal scrutiny.

As regards the article above from Vox regarding the concerns about privacy, I would not agree. John contacted Brian to do a radio show on the story, agreed to be recorded and was very forthcoming with information.

There was only one real instance where Brian went beyond that, and I felt he explained his reasons. It's not like Missing Richard Simmons, where the whole thing crossed a line, it was more that one specific instance.

I really enjoyed the last few episodes for what they were, a very interesting personality which well considered thoughts on life.

I know some people would have been more interested in the earlier episodes and that's fine as well. The topic of the latter episodes is different and it's not for everyone.

Overall I'm very glad I listened to it and would recomend it highly. It's annother great example of the storytelling powers of podcasts.

I thought this was fascinating. Those who don't follow through because they only want a murder mystery are missing out.
    Privacy issues? not in this case really. I'm pretty sure that John B. McElmore would be happy that he is out there in the internet ether.
    The sequence of information reveals is skillfully done and builds up a compelling story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Really disappointed with this, John B was a very interesting character but I don't get why his story was a podcast series :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

threein99 wrote: »
    Really disappointed with this, John B was a very interesting character but I don't get why his story was a podcast series :confused:

could have been 1 or 2 very good This American Life episodes -they dragged the p*ss out of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

optogirl wrote: »
    could have been 1 or 2 very good This American Life episodes -they dragged the p*ss out of it

I couldn't believe it when it ended. I was waiting and waiting for something to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Why didn't the town clerk contact all the names on his list?

Did some cops simply robs his gold from the freezer?

That the man didn't leave a will suggested he'd some elaborate plan for his estate. I was expecting all or at least some of the details to be uncovered over the later podcasts.

It all made for very interesting listening and even though it didn't develop the way I'd hoped there was still quite an interesting human story in there about a conflicted genius.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've listened to 3. The end of 2 was pretty shattering.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I finished this on holidays in May. It was interesting, but I wouldn't really hold it up there with best. podcasts. eva. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Enjoyed it. Jon B was like the real life ignatius J Reilly from the book 'A Confederacy of Dunces'.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Brian Reed is going to be in the Bord Gais theatre in September to discuss the podcast, if anyone is interested.

http://bordgaisenergytheatre.ie/news-article/s-towns-brian-reed-to-come-to-bord-gais-energy-theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    People are entitled to their opinions but I thought it was a really interesting and thought-provoking story. Thought it did a really good job in showing the complexity of human life and how it's so important to make every day that we're around count towards something. Certainly got me thinking anyway.

Yeah, it had the same effect on me I have to say. He was a really interesting person and I could have listened to him talk for hours on the many subjects that he was very knowledgeable about.

It did become more of a biography about him, which I didn't mind in terms of the change of direction. I can see why some people might not have like it in comparison to Serial 1 & 2.

• Administrators Posts: 53,438 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'm late to the party, but on the last episode of this and was curious what others thought so read the thread.

Unfortunately the show has disappointed me so far, and I think it's unlikely to redeem itself in the final episode based on what I've read. I thought this was going to be good after listening to the first episode, and then at the end of the second episode I thought it was going to be the same sort of true crime investigation but with a different subject, but then it just descended into an autobiography, and a very long, drawn out one at that.

I think the editing was a bit meh. Too many recordings of conversations that go on for too long, I think Reed could have summarised things more to speed things along. Some episodes are a bit much (
    an hour talking about how John was gay is a bit much
    ).

None of the interesting questions that arise get answered. None of the mystery gets solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭norabattie

awec wrote: »
    I'm late to the party, but on the last episode of this and was curious what others thought so read the thread.

Unfortunately the show has disappointed me so far, and I think it's unlikely to redeem itself in the final episode based on what I've read. I thought this was going to be good after listening to the first episode, and then at the end of the second episode I thought it was going to be the same sort of true crime investigation but with a different subject, but then it just descended into an autobiography, and a very long, drawn out one at that.

I think the editing was a bit meh. Too many recordings of conversations that go on for too long, I think Reed could have summarised things more to speed things along. Some episodes are a bit much (
    an hour talking about how John was gay is a bit much
    ).

None of the interesting questions that arise get answered. None of the mystery gets solved.

I personally disagree . I loved it. Yeah it didn't go as it was supposed to, but I found it so interesting and sad, this insight into a gay man in that part of America.

• Advertisement

retrospectively looking back at this I think that it is one of the best pieces of podcasting out there.

very unique in that the circumstances unveiled in a particular way throughout the making of it and the way that the narrator and producers handled it.

great stuff.

Advertisement