Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Space 1999

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭moggie

don't remember it ever being on bog 1 or 2
    but the beeb had it
    it and ufo

I remember wanting one of those ship though...as a substitute for thunderbird 2

the funky theme musak
    the jump suits
    yer alien with pointy....eyebrows
    Martin Landau
    and yer solid serving of generic 'lads about to be killed'

with only a few survivors on board, and explosions every week, 'twas a wonder anyone was left at all:) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by Victor
    Does anyone know when RTÉ showed this? I'm guessing about 1980-82, but I'm just not sure.

I saw one of these in a shop one day and fell in love. :)

http://www.space1999.net/~dinkyeagle/english/Intro.html

Note text at bottom of http://www.space1999.net/~dinkyeagle/english/decal-1.html

Yeah I have a green (transporter) and a blue (freighter) one - although they're not in great condition these days after hours of childhood fun :)

However, if you're still in love with such things :D ...
    http://www.productenterprise.com/anderson.html.

Picked up the Rescue Eagle in Fobidden Planet a few weeks back - a bit pricey but cheaper than getting it in the online shop above if you include carriage. Only problem is I want the other models now (The Freighter and Medical Eagles are not yet released however ...).

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You saddos! ;)

RTE showed Space 1999 on Friday afternoons in 1980 (-ish) and yep I wuz there as I loved
    that class of carry-on even if the science was definitely
    lacking on the Sci-fi show (remember the episode when the moon briefly gained an atmosphere and there was a shot of the Dr opening a window!) Poor design obviously. :D

ITV showed it in UK as it was made by Lew Grades ITC.

They never screened series two AFAIK.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

You could purchase a few if you want to relive the memories.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=Space+1999&page=search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭PBC_1966

I remember settlijng down to watch Space 1999 in the mid 1970s very well.

I think ITV changed around the schedules between series though. If I recall correctly it was on a weekday evening (Thursday?) at one point, and then on a Saturday afternoon.

I always loved the look of command center, and the monitors displaying a suitable caption at every station and every corner in the corridors. Despite some scientific "oddities" shall we say, my parents (who I guess would probably not have watched it had it not been for me!) always said they found it more plausible than Star Trek, in that transport was by Eagle and Travel Tube, rather than "beaming down."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by mike65
    (remember the episode when the moon briefly gained an atmosphere and there was a shot of the Dr opening a window!)

It was the episode called 'The Last Sunset'. Basically the moon approaches a planet called "Ariel", and as they go to investigate, a strange probe attaches itself to Eagle 2. They fly back, and manage to dislodge the probe, and suddenly it starts expelling gas. Turns out this is oxygen, and with the proximity to Ariel and its sun, the moon develops an atmosphere and gravity - with the help of loads of other probes landing on the moon surface btw. There's a 50% chance that the moon will enter orbit around Ariel's sun (don't get your hopes up remember this is still a series 1 episode :D).

When the atmosphere appears, the Alphans go outside, and the scene you mention Russell, Koneig and Bergman (Koneig opening the window) are looking out watching the Alphans lying on sun-loungers, sipping odd coloured cocktails and playing badminton (I kid you not). This is after Paul and Sandra getting a bit giggy after taking the first steps out and "testing" the new atmosphere - amazing what a bit of fresh air does for you. There's also a scene where it rains and a lot of Alphans run out so get their flairs mucky.

So anyway, Paul, Sandra, Helena Russell and Alan (the Aussie pilot) take out an Eagle, there's an electrical storm - all the Eagle's transistors are blown (LOL) and it crashes. Sandra is a bit mangled - and 2 weeks water and food is reduced to a few days after it all gets mixed with some acid after the crash.

Koneig divides the crash site into 28 sections and sends out all available Eagles to search (later Alans says there's 27 remaining Eagles - so go figure). An eagle does appear nearby, Alan rips off his orange sleeve and waves it frantically - came off very easily IMO - but with no luck. They build a structure out of those strange storage cubes they have - but it just gets covered in sand because of the storms.

The Eagles start to malfunction, Koneig does his nut - takes an Eagle - Bergman frantically tries to get them back and Koneig's Eagle immediately crashes (visions of Voyager and their lost shuttle craft count come to mind).

Turns out all the Eagles are being corroded due to the moon base dust mixed with the atmosphere - ffs these things fly in space, yet if its not dust its an electrical storm - sigh). Of course if they coat the engines with a graphite substance all will be fine, but it'll take 3 days - Koneig - "you've got 2".

So back at the crash site, things are a bit grim, Paul's a bit hyper 'cos his "bird" is mangled, they're on their last 2 litre milk style container of water, and its 120 degrees in the day and freezing at night. Paul nips out in the middle of the night (cold, plus storm) telling Sandra he's collecting water because its rained (which it hasn't), and as he's just about to die, he finds these strange bread/lemon like substances.

The next day, they find Paul in a fit of superhuman strength has built a camp for him and Sandra. He brings Sandra out, and starts talking about - well mad sh1t really. Russell doesn't have the equipment to test these lemon bread things - 'cos their Eagle is fooked, so she asks the others not to eat it until she's done some tests - by lunch time - sigh again.

In the meantime, the moon doesn't go into orbit, and the air starts thinning. Konieg takes the working Eagle and goes searching.

Paul's really flipped out at this stage, talking of populating the universe. More probles land and with Pauls rantings - Alan throws the bread he's just collected on the ground, Paul calls it heresy and a fight ensues.

Helena tries to drug him with a needle, he catches her and flings he to the ground. She see's Koneigs Eagle, runs to the ship, opens gas canisters, grabs a laser rifle, and blows the thing up. This is actually a good scene even thou' she's a fair bit away from the Eagle, as it explodes she get flung back from the blast.

Koneig sees it, lands, and gets Alan and Helena back to their ship. He goes to get Sandra and Paul, and Paul is really psycho at this stage, a 70s style punch and pseudo Judo (exaggerated arm throws) fight occurs and Koneig wins with a final mighty punch.

Back in the base, the last probe starts to leave, and as it hovers over the moonbase a strange ray eminates into the base. "We are neither malevolent nor benevolent - but we could not have you landing on our planet so we gave you what you wanted". Koneig - "Can you hear me we come in peace". Probe - "We've watched your species since the dawn of time - you'all all w*nkers - so feck off".

Final scene is the main crew, Bergman has analysed the bread / lemon stuff (its like a bread but Paul was previously able to sqeeze moisture out of it like a lemon - so that's the best description I can give). It full of all the nutrients that we need, blah blah, once I remove all the psychedelic elements. Paul - well it was the best trip I've had - except for the end - as he rubs the plaster on his chin - sigh.

Now, I'm either an uber Space 1999 nerd - or I happen to have 6 episodes on 3 VHS tapes from the early 90s. Assuming the latter :) after Mike65s reference I rooted out the tapes and sure enough it was there - so I've just watched it. I'm going to go with the latter to try and save a bit of face :D

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dazberry, you nerd you! :D

I could'nt get home quick enough on Fridays to catch the whole show when it was on, and I love the special effects and sets which were far better than anything I'd seen on TV up to that point. I even had crazy ideas that being a SFX techy like Brian Johnson or Derrek Meddings Me and a mate made our own spaceships using re-worked airfix kits and painted backdrops.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

I only remember once liking it. Then once when they showed a ship thrusting - view of a jet of steam filmed in Earth's gravity - I actually noticed a drop of water falling downwards from the -er - "thruster".

That completely killed it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dondreak

I was 10 when they started showing it in the United States. I recently read that the 2nd season did not show everywhere because they were protesting the American intervention of the show. Fred Feinberg got rid of a lot of the original cast. Some countries didn't show the 2nd season until the early 80's.

I was always mad that they got rid of people from the shows but also recently saw that "Dr. Bergman" did a "Return to Space 1999 message". He had "recovered" from his near death experience several years later. You can find it on YouTube. It kind of reminded me of when M*A*S*H killed off Col. Henry Blake and Carol Bernette had him on her show the next day in a boat waving his arms saying "I'm alive!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dondreak

dazberry wrote: »
    Back in the base, the last probe starts to leave, and as it hovers over the moonbase a strange ray eminates into the base. "We are neither malevolent nor benevolent - but we could not have you landing on our planet so we gave you what you wanted". Koneig - "Can you hear me we come in peace". Probe - "We've watched your species since the dawn of time - you'all all w*nkers - so feck off".

Final scene is the main crew, Bergman has analysed the bread / lemon stuff (its like a bread but Paul was previously able to sqeeze moisture out of it like a lemon - so that's the best description I can give). It full of all the nutrients that we need, blah blah, once I remove all the psychedelic elements. Paul - well it was the best trip I've had - except for the end - as he rubs the plaster on his chin - sigh.

D.

I just love your story telling. My favorite was the **** part :) Both Seasons 1-2 are on YouTube if you are interested. You did get some things wrong in your synopsis but not technically wrong just your critique. I always wondered why the Eagles didn't have trouble on Earth. I'm assuming some of the trouble they were having on the Moon was caused by something the people of the planet added to the atmosphere. Maybe that or they added more Oxygen to speed up the corrosion processes. The last thing is just it's a TV show so I always ignore the Scientific inaccuracies... although some shows you just want to pull your hair out :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I know this the 'All Things Retro' thread but a 12 year old zombie?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I know this the 'All Things Retro' thread but a 12 year old zombie?
    Well, is Space 1999 still retro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

This thread itself is Retro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It is on netflix now,but i had the boxset so had recently seen it through,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Skatedude wrote: »
    It is on netflix now,but i had the boxset so had recently seen it through,

It defo was never on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The episode, 'Dragon's Domain' (YouTube) (Wikipedia) was so graphic for TV, I remember this being on at about 11am, Saturdays. probably Anglo or LWT/Ulster.

Traumatised me as a kid.

Tentacled creature that roped people in and spat them out as giant smouldering weetabix..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Amalgam wrote: »
    The episode, 'Dragon's Domain' (YouTube) (Wikipedia) was so graphic for TV, I remember this being on at about 11am, Saturdays. probably Anglo or LWT/Ulster.

Traumatised me as a kid.

Tentacled creature that roped people in and spat them out as giant smouldering weetabix..

Yep, had many nightmares as a kid after seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

moggie wrote: »
    don't remember it ever being on bog 1 or 2
    but the beeb had it
    it and ufo

"The Beeb" most certainly did not have it. Space 1999 and UFO were ITV productions.

Amalgam wrote: »

Traumatised me as a kid.

Rough stuff. Saw the RTE2 broadcast - nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

http://catacombs.space1999.net/main/pguide/vibbbc.html

You are correct about 70s/80s but it was shown on Beeb in the 90s, remember it well.

Advertisement