Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was John Motson being racist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Plopsu

Poor Tom Eliott. He must have been cringing at the apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

bigpink wrote:
    It’s like the media here with the trouble in North Dublin black teens causing havoc but can’t say black well there not bloody white or blue

North Dublin - you mean Balbriggan?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It was a bit unnecessary to bring his race into it, but hardly racist.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Its only racist if your white.

If the roles were reversed who would care. NOBODY.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

8f7c8f3ebd36856886298707727796d3.jpg

Guess which one is John Guidetti, who grew up in Kenya and played for a local team there.
    I think i can guess how he was described in those days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

inforfun wrote: »

Guess which one is John Guidetti, who grew up in Kenya and played for a local team there.

That's a great photo inforfun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I had a bag of black jack sweets for lunch.

I would like to apologies to everybody as this was obviously insensitive, uncalled for and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,753 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I had a bag of black jack sweets for lunch.

I would like to apologies to everybody as this was obviously insensitive, uncalled for and wrong.

You should also apologise to your colon for that lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I want a Fake News t-shirt.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My grandfather would always use the word 'coloured' - we would correct him when we were younger that you are meant to say 'black'.

Recently I heard him using the word 'coloured' again, reminded him that he probably shouldn't be using that word if he doesn't want grief - told me it was okay to use again as he keeps hearing it on television.

Ah yes, 'People of Colour'. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah yeah, I can see this from all sides.

His comment was undoubtedly a slip of the tongue. Not racism, but certainly inadvertently a reference to the stereotype of the big, black guy.

We all have intrusive thoughts. Our inner monologue continuously spouts random crap at us, much of it will be heavily biased, sometimes a little racist, sometimes a little psychotic. But it's just a random stream of thoughts and we can recognise it as such.

If you listen to commentators, they have to talk constantly. A constant stream of talk, whatever is coming to mind. Frequently it's just random gibberish.

So I can certainly see how something like this, which is relatively innocuous in the grand scheme, would tumble from a commentator's mouth accidentally.

Should he apologise? Yeah, he should acknowledge that this was inadvertent. But that should be good enough, no need to go nuts on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

seamus wrote: »
    We all have intrusive thoughts. Our inner monologue continuously spouts random crap at us, much of it will be heavily biased, sometimes a little racist, sometimes a little psychotic. But it's just a random stream of thoughts and we can recognise it as such.

This is absolutely not true.

e25b7e152a0e35d6c66f7589619fe051.gif

Not true at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The dominant crossed arms pose, and central positioning, certainly show the sense of distinction.

A 'fucking, lazy, thick honky'?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

seamus wrote: »
    Ah yeah, I can see this from all sides.

His comment was undoubtedly a slip of the tongue. Not racism, but certainly inadvertently a reference to the stereotype of the big, black guy.

True to a point, but its more a switching off of the internal censorship that has failed here, letting the racism slip out and betray itself. That it is a random stream of thoughts reveals the racism. It does not mean it isnt racism. The term used was not necessary for the precision of a colour - that was irrelevant to what he was expressing. The use of a colour was to distinguish race. Which again, had no place in his sentence. It was his noticing, and failing to check himself that he was conscious of the race, that makes it racist.
    It is unarguably clear cut racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

TomSweeney wrote: »
    He should have refused to apologise, it wasn't racist.
    That's it, anyone who found it racist is a moron - you can be offended by literally anything these days, why should people bow down to this nonsense.
    It just takes one brave public figure to REFUSE to apologise and others will follow.

Look at this mentally ill fool that must have a GREAT life if she is bothered by this

https://twitter.com/akadennews/status/1094713995578261510

Then of course the company grovel

https://twitter.com/Bloomingdales/status/1094964815796174848

But if you give these mentally unstable cretins an inch, they will take a mile.

https://twitter.com/pwoodreporter/status/1095034152800473090

Not happy with it, they never will be.

Refuse to apologise.

Where's the mental illness there?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I don't understand why the Independent has put 'apologises' in quotation marks. He literally did apologise - directly to the player concerned. It was a bit of a weird and unnecessary description of the player, but it's hardly Ron Atkinson levels of racism.

Or Diane Abbott.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

Context.....its irks me no one takes what he said/context of the issue....Its the media trying to distract, create faux outrage with some the offended, but the majority of sane, rational people do see context

Well, MOTTY DESCRIBED PLAYER AS BLACK AND NOBODY THOUGHT ANYTHING OF IT won't bait you many clicks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

antodeco wrote: »
    John?

Do you often describe people by their name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭storker

NIMAN wrote: »
    Exactly.

Listening to Motto over the last few years, it was obvious he was getting old quickly.
    He wasn't as sharp as he once was.

At times he sounded like your old senile uncle.

I don't think he meant any harm. Its a shame the SJWs have got the pitchforks out for him.

Motty today, someone else tomorrow. Free-floating outrage is like free-floating anxiety; always there, just looking for somewhere to settle for a while before moving on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I wonder if anyone has asked Tom Elliott what he thinks about it? Or if he's even heard about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Tom Elliott is black...

He is indeed, English. And not schtumpig!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Where's the mental illness there?

Its more of an addiction to retweets and internet notoriety which all helps to feed the ego

storker wrote: »
    Motty today, someone else tomorrow. Free-floating outrage is like free-floating anxiety; always there, just looking for somewhere to settle for a while before moving on again.

Has there been much 'outrage' about this? The only outrage I'm seeing is on here - from people who think others are outraged, when it doesn't appear to be the case.

Has there been much 'outrage' about this? The only outrage I'm seeing is on here - from people who think others are outraged, when it doesn't appear to be the case.

They're trying to get their retaliation in first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Its a wonder PETA hasnt attacked him for wearing sheep skin coats all these years

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

If anything the comment was complementary

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

I just find it hard to believe that during a game involving Millwall it was Motson who was the one being (allegedly) racist!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭PingTing comes for Fire

Edgware wrote: »
    Its a wonder PETA hasnt attacked him for wearing sheep skin coats all these years

It might be faux outrage - I mean sheep skin.

Advertisement