Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RPC server unavailable (laptop) any fixes?

Options
  • 20-02-2019 8:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭

I'm fine on my desktop PC but my wife has a laptop that won't allow her to log in, the screen just goes to "RPC server unavailable" and there's no getting around it (so far). Tried some on-line help and it didn't lead to anything.

Has anyone had this problem and found a successful fix? I believe she has windows 10 installed on the device. We live in a rather remote area and it might be a week or so before we can get to a qualified computer technician.

Any assistance greatly appreciated. We tried looking into settings on the mainframe (where the internet connection router is located) but everything reads normal there. Think the RPC server may have been disabled by a virus scan gone wrong.

In a distant time zone so may not see your post as quickly as you might expect, but will check in around 1700h to see if anyone knows anything about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi

i dont know what troubleshooting steps you took, nor the exact details of the laptp , and if its company or personal, etc.

herre is an in depth article by a professional

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4494.windows-server-troubleshooting-the-rpc-server-is-unavailable.aspx

It does assume some technical proficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It's a home network, an ACER laptop and it has no corporate tech button (which I read about as part of a different brand fix). We can see all the files from the mainframe and so we've managed to back up the stored data on the laptop in case the restart takes out any memory. Would imagine it is a matter of five minutes in the shop getting a start code but just hoping to speed that up by a week as our next planned trip to distant larger town is Tuesday 26th. Thanks for the above link but I believe we found that and tried whatever procedures it suggests.

Control alt delete does not have any effect on this frozen laptop, the only thing it shows is the log in screen and the internet connection details plus it continues to keep track of date and time. Tried fooling it with a deliberately wrong password but that just has no effect, the right password generates the RPC notice. Moral of the story, don't believe everything your trusted anti-virus tells you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

So Did you get sorted?

Advertisement