Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Held in customs, perhaps.

Options
  • 18-02-2019 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered before, I looked a few pages back and did not see a similar topic.

I made a purchase from an independent retailer in the US and got a UPS tracking link. This is the latest update:

02/04/2019 10:32 A.M. Ireland Package arrived at international carrier

I wrote to UPS and they told me to write to the retailer, who got back to say it might be in customs. The package is 1.5 lbs and goods cost $80.

Oh and delivery address is Parcel Motel if that makes a difference.

I rarely buy from the US, is this kind of delay normal? If there any point in contacting customs (and if so, how?), or, am I better "letting sleeping dogs lie"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are you sure its UPS and not USPS? UPS should be end 2 end normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

rubadub wrote: »

I saw that. But I have had no contact from them or anyone asking for duty/vat. I've never had to pay that before so no idea of the process. Should I have headed something by now, it's 2 weeks in Ireland

ED E wrote: »
    Are you sure its UPS and not USPS? UPS should be end 2 end normally.

Yes, just UPS - I gave PArcel Motel as my address during checkout as I'd not be at home to get it (will be a small packet) and work is messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Sorry if this has been covered before, I looked a few pages back and did not see a similar topic.

I made a purchase from an independent retailer in the US and got a UPS tracking link. This is the latest update:

02/04/2019 10:32 A.M. Ireland Package arrived at international carrier

I wrote to UPS and they told me to write to the retailer, who got back to say it might be in customs. The package is 1.5 lbs and goods cost $80.

Oh and delivery address is Parcel Motel if that makes a difference.

I rarely buy from the US, is this kind of delay normal? If there any point in contacting customs (and if so, how?), or, am I better "letting sleeping dogs lie"?

I would contact Customs . I know of a case where Customs had the package for a few weeks but hadn't bothered contacting the person

• Advertisement

SPDUB wrote: »
    I would contact Customs . I know of a case where Customs had the package for a few weeks but hadn't bothered contacting the person

Thanks, I wait till 3 weeks and try that then.

If you have the info handy, how do I go about contacting them? Phone. email?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Thanks, I wait till 3 weeks and try that then.

If you have the info handy, how do I go about contacting them? Phone. email?

Good luck contacting customs.. They don’t physically have the shipment, whoever the carrier is would still have it.. Better contacting them

Update.

Finally got my parcel. I emailed customs (dmc@revenue.ie) and yes it was held there. They replied within 4 working hours and said to send a postal order or cheque for E18 and I had my items a few days later. There were very professional and helpful I must say (I'm the first to criticise the gubberment, but credit where it's due!).

No idea why they did not contact Parcel Motel though, which is what their FAQs suggest would happen.

Advertisement