Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiles "tenting"

• 18-02-2019 4:30pm
    Subscribers Posts: 41,843 ✭✭✭✭

i did a search and couldnt find a suitable thread so ive created this one.

Has anyone experienced tiles what-is-tile-tenting.html

This happened last week in my kitchen, on tiles that were laid 15 years ago.
    Ive had a plumber out to see if it could have been caused by a leak in the floor, and he assures me theres none.

so im wondering if anyone could throw out some ideas as to why this happened.

We heard an almighty pop/crash sound at about 12:30 am one night last week and i came down to find 2 rows of tiles (about 12 in total) had popped up into a "tent" position. I was worried that the kids could cut themselves off them, so i removed them first thing the following morning.

im wondering if it could simply have been a case of cheap ceramic tiles been worn down over that time period, and with numerous washes etc the tile took on moisture and expanded until they ultimately popped off the floor??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Loads of reasons I would say.... we had this in an old house before, the tiles were simply old, and as the house cooled and heated during renovations they popped up.

Any change to the environment could do it... floor moving for any reason like settling or subsidence, heating, cooling.
    Could be a fault with the tiles themselves, in how they were manufactured
    Could be that expansion joints were not done properly if it's a large area
    Not enough adhesive... wrong adhesive for the floor. Wrong bonding material for a wet area, adhesive could have broken down over time.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,843 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thanks..... yeah at the moment im just putting it down to age and degradation. i just dont want to get new ones down without ticking all the boxes of external impacts.

heres a pic of the result

IMG-20190212-065740.jpg

interestingly those "wet" patches havent disappeared at all.... and we're nearly a week after the incident.

Looking at it now with a different perspective the tiles probably arent spaced apart enough initially.... and to be fair they weren't expensive ones to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Number of things can cause tenting. Expansion, shrinkage, moisture, temperature changes, poorly bonded or degraded over time.

Any large trees in the area? Have you checked internal and external walls for any changes?

no large trees, but there has been some work done to the external wall of the kitchen , where paths were removed as they were subsiding an pulling down the foul waste pipes to the point of no fall for drainage. the concrete paths were replaced with gravel.... this occured about 5 years ago maybe.

i work in architecture so i understand the damp proofing detail around the floors, and theoretically there should be no way external moisture getting into the floor from under the plinth levels..... though these arent the best built houses so no guarantee.

temp changes should be fine.... the house is pretty much always inhabited and the heating times are well regulated.

i expect it is expansion due to moisture, its just a question of where the moisture came from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

sydthebeat wrote: »
    no large trees, but there has been some work done to the external wall of the kitchen , where paths were removed as they were subsiding an pulling down the foul waste pipes to the point of no fall for drainage. the concrete paths were replaced with gravel.... this occured about 5 years ago maybe.

i work in architecture so i understand the damp proofing detail around the floors, and theoretically there should be no way external moisture getting into the floor from under the plinth levels..... though these arent the best built houses so no guarantee.

temp changes should be fine.... the house is pretty much always inhabited and the heating times are well regulated.

i expect it is expansion due to moisture, its just a question of where the moisture came from.

Yeah I was going to suggest that maybe the slab dpc had been compromised and moisture is seeping in, something got to be keeping those wet patches wet. When path was replaced with gravel were existing drainage areas moved or blocked?

• Advertisement

Yeah I was going to suggest that maybe the slab dpc had been compromised and moisture is seeping in, something got to be keeping those wet patches wet. When path was replaced with gravel were existing drainage areas moved or blocked?

no, if anything drainage (storm) increaased due to the removal of the impermebale concrete and the use of permeable gravel. I dont have a worry about that as there is an open land drain to the rear of the property which never shows a high water table...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Syd
    Have you traced the rads/hw/cw

BryanF wrote: »
    Syd
    Have you traced the rads/hw/cw

Yeah Bryan, I've had a plumber run through the system and there's nothing he thinks is significant. I've checked nearby rads for leaking valves and nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Any joy in finding the problem is the slab under the adhesive damp

sydthebeat wrote: »
    interestingly those "wet" patches havent disappeared at all.... and we're nearly a week after the incident.

Are they actually wet though?

I've seen similar looking wet patches, that weren't at all wet, they just looked that way and the whole floor was patchy with them from the glues used to hold down the initial floor (which were, in that case, thin plastic slate-like tiles, that were presumably meant to be covered over).

• Advertisement
Advertisement