Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Happy Death Day 2U

Options
  • 30-11-2018 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭

Out next Valentine's Day. Loved the first film.

If you have not seen the first film, don't watch this trailer as it spoils the ending from Happy Death Day

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

First film was really cool - real Groundhog Day meets Scream vibe off it. Would be looking to this though not going to even watch the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Is the first necessary viewing (aside from being recommended by yourselves :) )? Did see the trailer for this last night and it looks pretty mental. Could be fun though.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Is the first necessary viewing (aside from being recommended by yourselves :) )? Did see the trailer for this last night and it looks pretty mental. Could be fun though.

Yeah, definitely watch it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Successful Blumhouse Movie Makes Sequel Shocker! :D;)

The first film was OK with a pretty interesting twist, but found the final act a huge letdown; a combination of a disappointing answer to the mystery that didn't make much sense, coupled with the film straight-up cheating to fool the audience (specifically,
    how the hitherto clearly male killer was revealed to be a gangly college girl
    ).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

pixelburp wrote: »
    Successful Blumhouse Movie Makes Sequel Shocker! :D;)

The first film was OK with a pretty interesting twist, but found the final act a huge letdown; a combination of a disappointing answer to the mystery that didn't make much sense, coupled with the film straight-up cheating to fool the audience (specifically,
    how the hitherto clearly male killer was revealed to be a gangly college girl
    ).

The killer was male, the girl released him when the cupcake didn't work, but when the protagonist finally killed him, she ate the poisoned cupcake and then realised what was going on, so killed the girl before the male killer was recruited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Really enjoyed the first one. Looking forward to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Circuital

Thought the first one was excellent. They did the replaying of the day really well, it never got stale or frustrating and so is still an enjoyable rewatch.

Looking forward to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The first one was mildly entertaining.

Don't need a second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Loved the first one - I tend to adore any sort of Time Loop/Groundhog Day type story. Very much looking forward to the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

New version of trailer that doesn’t spoil the first film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,462 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Shame about the PG13 on the credits card at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The first film was PG 13 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

astrofool wrote: »
    The killer was male, the girl released him when the cupcake didn't work, but when the protagonist finally killed him, she ate the poisoned cupcake and then realised what was going on, so killed the girl before the male killer was recruited.

Nope.

We watched it the other night there. The roommate was the killer. She released that serial killer so there'd be a ready made prime suspect to take the fall.

I'm glad of that last twist because otherwise there was a big plot hole how the serial killer guy could have gotten into her boarded up room when he only escapes that night.

The first was quite enjoyable so I'll be looking forward to this one too (though probably not cinema visit worthy)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭restive

I just saw this. Firstly see the first movie beforehand as it is quite heavily tied in with it. Secondly there is a post credit scene.

I thought it was really good. It takes it in a different direction and is not really a slasher film. But if you liked the first one you should like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it yesterday at the cinema; I really enjoyed it

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught this last night, having rewatched the first film earlier in the week.

I thought this was a good sequel - it took what was good about the first film and came up with a way of putting a different spin on it. As a couple of the characters note in the film, this is
    Back To The Future 2
    where the first film is
    Groundhog Day
    . It's entertaining and funny, has a few great visual gags (
    Creepy Baby Sports Mascot at the basketball game, the second death montage
    ), and doesn't outstay its welcome (the first was 80something minutes, this one is 100 minutes or so).

If you liked the first one, you'll almost certainly enjoy this.

The mid credits scene is worth staying for, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Saw this last night too, was a big fan of the first one, enjoyed this one too, not as good, and a bit more of a romantic time travel adventure rather than the slasher/comedy horror the first one was.

Though Jessica Rothe is fantastic again in this, couldn't stop laughing at
    her waking back up in the alternative reality and living through it all again while screaming at everyone outside the campus

Definitely see the first before seeing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I think there were shades of the Big Bang Theory in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Thought this was very good too. I'd likely have to watch both films again before picking which I prefer. Jessica Rothe carries it again, the energy she puts into the role is quite something. Hard not to see her growing in stature in the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's a very decent sequel and the mad blend of horror/slapstick/comedy/rom-com actually works quite well, though Jessica Rothe is most definitely the glue that holds it all together.

Quite different from the first one but in a good way, I think if I had to criticize anything....I would say it gets a little too goofy towards the end with
    the blind woman routine.

Good sequel though. I knew nothing about it going in but it is heavily tied to the first movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

correction wrote: »
    Thought this was very good too. I'd likely have to watch both films again before picking which I prefer. Jessica Rothe carries it again, the energy she puts into the role is quite something. Hard not to see her growing in stature in the next few years.

She's been knocking round for a bit. Has some crud to her credit too and was in Lalaland. Not top star material IMO and depends a whole lot on the material but when it's good she's very watchable.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I might give this a go, the first movie was highly, unexpectedly enjoyable.

Advertisement