Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on getting into Educational Psychology

Options
  • 01-02-2019 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am in the final year of my Undergraduate Psychology Degree and I was just wondering what is the experience needed to get into educational psychology. I know that for the Masters in Educational Psychology in UCD it says 2 years of experience. I know that some people would have teaching experience but if I get some experience as a literacy support tutor or volunteer working with people with disabilities or as a special needs assistant would that be relevant experience and would that be suitable to meet the Course requirements. If I wanted to get teaching experience how would I go about this? What teacher training course would I have to do? Would I need to have a pass in my leaving cert Maths in order to get onto a teacher training course? Is teaching experience necessary in order to get into the Masters and the Doctorate in Educational Psychology?

Many thanks,

kind regards,

Linda

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oreoexpress

Hi, I am a student on the doc ed psych course in UCD. You no longer need to have a teaching degree to be considered for a place on the course (I did not have a teaching degree, I have a masters in applied psychology and two years work experience in the area of ABA and as an Assistant Psychologist). In my opinion, the greater variety of experience you can get the better. Generally people in my class have further qualifications (masters in psychology, ABA, inclusive education). It can seem like a long road to get onto the course but the more experience you have the better position you are in to work as an educational psychologist. I think that if you can get some experience working under the supervision of either an educational psychologist or a clinical psychologist (such as with the Assistant Psychology jobs with the HSE) you will gain a lot of the necessary skills and experience.

Please feel free to send me a private message if you have any other questions! :)

Advertisement