Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ring Doorbell Wired - compatibility

Options
  • 03-02-2019 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a Ring Doorbell 2 and I just want to make sure my home is compatible for hard wired.

I've a Honeywell Chime that looks mechanical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi All,

I am looking at getting a Ring Doorbell 2 and I just want to make sure my home is compatible for hard wired.

I've a Honeywell Chime that looks mechanical.

Any help would be appreciated.

A few questions so we can help you:
    • Have you a wired doorbell at present?
    • Have you a doorbell transformer installed in or near to your distribution board?
    • If so, what is the voltage output from the doorbell transformer? This should be written on it. If unsure post a photo of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Hey thanks for the reply.

I've a attached a photo from the fuse box and it's wired doorbell we currently have.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I've a attached a photo from the fuse box and it's wired doorbell we currently have.

Thanks

The good news is that you have the correct wiring in place.

The not so bad news is that your transformer is not compatible as the output is only 8 volts. You require a higher output voltage, 24V is best. A registered electrical contractor must do this work. Material cost is around €20. It should only take a few minutes to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

Brilliant thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Any decent electrical wholesaler will be able to help you with a kit. Not sure what past of the country but try any Kellihers or Eurosales

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

2011 wrote: »

The not so bad news is that your transformer is not compatible as the output is only 8 volts. You require a higher output voltage, 24V is best. A registered electrical contractor must do this work. Material cost is around €20. It should only take a few minutes to install.

The transformer in the picture also has a 12V secondary tap. It would be best to get a multi-meter and measure the AC voltage at the existing button press, it may well be running off the 12V tap, which the Ring 2 should be able to use.

I was sorting out a power supply for a ring 2 myself today, i've decided to run it off a 24V AC wall wart, with a 22ohm resistor in series (seems to be conflicting information as to if this is required).

The transformer in the picture also has a 12V secondary tap.

You are correct, I missed that.
    My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the ring pro wired doorbell comes with a transformer in the box. Just use their one, you have all the wiring required for this no bother,

Can somebody confirm but I think as theres already a transformer wired that a registered electrician may not be needed. You are replacing old with new without changing any wiring.

the ring pro wired doorbell comes with a transformer in the box. Just use their one, you have all the wiring required for this no bother

I am not familiar with the transformer that they supply but the neatest solution is a DIN rail mounted unit in the distribution board.
    Can somebody confirm but I think as theres already a transformer wired that a registered electrician may not be needed.

Legally a REC will be required for any work on the distribution board i.e. once the cover has to be removed. If work on the board is not required this job does not require a REC.

The ring 2 doesn't come with a trafo, I'd just wire this into the existing two wires at the exterior button press and it should work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

If you've 12 volts it'll work fine.

The big issue with Ring is some bells on the continent work at full mains 230V. They usually have a big heavy light switch style door bell though and I've never seen one used in Ireland.

I made up a power supply for my own one last week. I found one of the transformers for the LED Christmas lights was giving out 24V AC, so i just made up cable with ~23Ohms soldered into it in series.

Works perfectly, you also get some additional features as it is not trying to conserve power. I'll try post a picture later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »

Thanks

That Hager transformer's either 8V or 12V depending how it's connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Apologies, I see that's been mentioned already.

Advertisement