Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carpet Cleaning

• 06-05-2009 11:41am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what kind of costs are involved in carpet cleaning?

My sister lives in a medium sized apartment in Dublin and the carpet could do with a good clean. Was going to get it as a gift for her so was wondering what kind of money I'd be spending.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 irishsancho

Anyone know what kind of costs are involved in carpet cleaning?

My sister lives in a medium sized apartment in Dublin and the carpet could do with a good clean. Was going to get it as a gift for her so was wondering what kind of money I'd be spending.

€50-€70 per room. If you ask you can get a special rate for the entire apartment.

If her carpets are heavily soiled I would advise using a contract cleaner that uses a carpet extraction machine.

Machines that use just chemicals and no water are very hit and miss and stains normally return after 24-48 hours as the carpet is not deep cleaned.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Thanks for the info.

Eould I just have to ring around to find out who does the carpet extraction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 irishsancho

Most good contract cleaners will use capet extraction machines, the best machines for the job are self contained units that have a cylinder brush underneath and a vacuum to the front and heat it's own water.

Hot water is much better for cleaning carpet. Machines with a vacuum wand (similar to a vacuum cleaner) are OK but not fantastic at cleaning and they use a lot more water to clean the carpet.

If you find that your carpet smells pretty bad a day after getting the carpets cleaned then the contract cleaner has used too much water on your carpet and they will need to be re-done.

Don't go with the cheapest quote you get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 unamused

hey ShiverinEskimo,
    any joy with the carpets I need mine done and just wanted to know if you managed to get a good deal for your sister and if so if it turned out okay??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Can anyone tell me would carpet cleaning be any good for a smelly carpet? or would wetting it just make it worse?
    In a rural area so will have to hire a machine and do it myself, are the machines you hire any good?
    Not badly stained but the smell is not great, its been down a few years, and just want to get rid of the smell for a while until I can afford timber flooring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 coolmangg

Hi painting a room last weekend I got paint on the carpet!
    Silly me!!

Does anybody know how I shuld go about getting it out?
    thanks.

Emulsion or other water based paint, just water and a scrubbing/nail brush.
    Gloss or oil based paint, white spirit, rub on well then use bit of washing up liquid and water, with a cloth to rinse out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

I recently did the living room and hallway myself. I hired the 'Rug Doctor' machine from B&Q. It only costs €30 plus your shampoo for 24 hours. It did a fantastic job! Carpets were cream and quite dirty. Came up like new! By comparison, I hired a well-know carpet cleaning company at Christmas to do my mother's hall and stairs and the following day it was as dirty as ever :mad:

After reading above post, I too hired the rug doctor and cleaned my carpets.
    Its fantastic, they came up really clean, like new, and one was really bad and stained.
    One thing though, the smell, I have a dirty smell now from the living room carpet. I thought it would go when carpet dried, but it hasn't. Its an old carpet and cleaning was just a stop gap until I can afford new flooring, but it really stinks!
    Anyone any ideas for getting rid of the smell?

Other carpets smell fine, just the old livingroom one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

mymo wrote: »
    After reading above post, I too hired the rug doctor and cleaned my carpets.
    Its fantastic, they came up really clean, like new, and one was really bad and stained.
    One thing though, the smell, I have a dirty smell now from the living room carpet. I thought it would go when carpet dried, but it hasn't. Its an old carpet and cleaning was just a stop gap until I can afford new flooring, but it really stinks!
    Anyone any ideas for getting rid of the smell?

Other carpets smell fine, just the old livingroom one.

Maybe you went over it too much? What type of carpet was it? Mine were wool and I did go over them about three times and I was a bit worried that they'd crinkle and smell but they were perfect. Is your carpet foam backed? If so, that could be the problem. No solution for you though, perhaps the smell will go in time :o

• Advertisement

My carpet is felt backed, and the fabreeze worked ok, at least for few days, and its not so bad now. Still there but better.
    Think I must have over wet it:o oh well, i'll know for future reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,767 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks for the rug doctor suggestion - I had one carpet chemical cleaned then got a RD and did the stairs and another room plus some rugs myself. Cost me €48 including the shampoo and a sprayer of stuff for very dirty bits.

I'm very pleased with the way they came clean, took a while to dry but the weather was very wet so there wasnt much drying.

If you are doing it, get the upholstery extension as we found it very useful for rugs and awkward bits, and I also used it on the stairs. Its also a good idea to have someone keeping an eye on the machine so they can tell you if the water has run out/there are any other problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yesig712

Thanks, I think different cleaner have a different price so need to search expends for carpet cleaning and you could buy according to your budget. I bought the carpet cleaning whistler which provided by option plus which gives me real outcomes so thanks for that.

Advertisement