Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting the Darkness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Watched it this evening. Very good documentary

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i grew up with books in the house with so many of these photos in them, it's phenomenal to hear the stories behind them; my father is from inishowen, not far from derry, and was always interested in photography so collected a load of books featuring photos from the troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Brilliant program and like others I have seen all these photos growing up and a lot of stayed in my memory so it was fascinating to see the stories behind the photos.

On another note anybody any other similar programs they can recommend?
    It takes a brave individual to walk into a war zone with just a camera. I think a single photo can sum up a situation more than many hours of film can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's a particular photo i can remember which probably affected me the most as a kid; of a woman walking her kids to school, getting caught in the crossfire of rubber bullets and whatever came to hand on the other side, and she's clearly just gone to pieces with a child in each hand, both of them screaming in terror.
    not that i particularly *want* to revisit that photo, i must see if the book is still knocking around in my parents' house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Would like to see that. Where is it available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

CabanSail wrote: »
    Would like to see that. Where is it available?

It's on the RTE player at the moment if you can watch it via VPN??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

My VPN does not have an Ireland option.

Will have to look elsewhere.

harr wrote: »
    On another note anybody any other similar programs they can recommend?
    not a program, but you might like reading 'unreasonable behaviour' by don mccullin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

not a program, but you might like reading 'unreasonable behaviour' by don mccullin.
    Thanks for the recommendation, also on Netflix a very good documentary I can recommend called Hondros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

That was a great watch, thanks for sharing I would have completely missed it otherwise.

Thats a great read, on a similar thought I could also recommend The Bang Bang Club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement