Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for DIP-Need help?

Options
  • 31-12-2018 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

I started my DIP teaching 2nd/3rd class before Christmas. I'm really struggling with the planning . I'm the only teacher doing the DIP in the school and as the rest of the teachers are a lot older they hardly know what the DIP is about and I can't really ask for help. You'd hear about other teachers who are doing the DIP in other schools and they have other NQTs doing the DIP to help them out. I feel all this planning is so vague and I'm not sure if I'm doing things right at all. I applied for the DIP and got an email back saying they would get back in touch in a few weeks and that's all. I dont know what im meant to be doing. I'm currently trying to do long term plans but it's all so vague. I know you have to do weekly/long term plans that about all I know. Are there termlies as well or are they the long term plans? Could someone please upload a long term plan so I have an idea of what's required? None of my friends have done it yet so there is no one to help really. And don't get me started on the new curriculum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Termlies are long terms. You'll need to type those up from Jan-Easter;Easter-June for every subject (except Religion but your principal will want you to have one for Religion for their filing system so make a rough one of those for them too). I think it works out at about 12 weeks or so counting in the few holidays in between.

You need to have a planning folder and an assessment folder. Your planning folder has your long terms (termlies) and your short terms (weekly plans) in addition to things like timetable, whole school planning documents etc. Your principal should be walking you through this. There is also supposed to be a member of staff in the school that guides new teachers, so talk to them too.

Your assessment folder is pretty straight forward and up to you how you want to structure and fill it but a mixture of whole class and individual methods are good. They love checklists and they're very easy to do...and frankly easy to back date too when you're up the walls. You also must do a weekly reflection of your teaching. That goes in the assessment folder too I think.

Have you been in contact with the teacher whose class you took over? They should have plans done out or the principal should have plans on file from last year that you could have a look at. You'll obviously need to put in more detail yourself as you're doing the dip but it would be a great start.

There's Facebook DIP groups about which will be a good help for you. The NIPT website has templates and sample plans as well which are a good guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Angliru wrote: »
    Termlies are long terms. You'll need to type those up from Jan-Easter;Easter-June for every subject (except Religion but your principal will want you to have one for Religion for their filing system so make a rough one of those for them too). I think it works out at about 12 weeks or so counting in the few holidays in between.

You need to have a planning folder and an assessment folder. Your planning folder has your long terms (termlies) and your short terms (weekly plans) in addition to things like timetable, whole school planning documents etc. Your principal should be walking you through this. There is also supposed to be a member of staff in the school that guides new teachers, so talk to them too.

Your assessment folder is pretty straight forward and up to you how you want to structure and fill it but a mixture of whole class and individual methods are good. They love checklists and they're very easy to do...and frankly easy to back date too when you're up the walls. You also must do a weekly reflection of your teaching. That goes in the assessment folder too I think.

Have you been in contact with the teacher whose class you took over? They should have plans done out or the principal should have plans on file from last year that you could have a look at. You'll obviously need to put in more detail yourself as you're doing the dip but it would be a great start.

There's Facebook DIP groups about which will be a good help for you. The NIPT website has templates and sample plans as well which are a good guide.

That's great..thanks..do you have to do weekly plans for RE and can you be inspected for Religion..the classes switched up a bit this year with 3rd being split up between 2 rooms. Last year it was 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th but this year it's 2nd/3rd and 3rd/4th so she was using 3rd and just changing them as she went along.
    What kind of checklists do you say I could do? The principal isn't really too bothered and all the teachers are much older so they don't really know much about the DIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

zeebre12 wrote: »
    That's great..thanks..do you have to do weekly plans for RE and can you be inspected for Religion..the classes switched up a bit this year with 3rd being split up between 2 rooms. Last year it was 1st/2nd and 3rd/4th but this year it's 2nd/3rd and 3rd/4th so she was using 3rd and just changing them as she went along.
    What kind of checklists do you say I could do? The principal isn't really too bothered and all the teachers are much older so they don't really know much about the DIP.

No need for a long term or weeklies for Religion but you still have to teach it and have it timetabled for 30mins a day. Your principal will want to have some form of Long Term plan for it too. You can technically by inspected on anything but in general they won't want to see Religion.

2nd/3rd is an awkward split...you could still get a look at the plans from last year and take bits from both, I'm sure the other teachers will give you a hand.

You can do checklists for any subject which is what makes them so handy. Could be for literally anything. I find them handy for things like P.E as well as things like handwriting. Simple table with name, a few empty boxes and tick away with your pen and throw them into the folder...very handy.

Even if they are a little older they are still experienced teachers who know the ends and outs of planning, assessment and inspections. The principal has likely seen many more NQTs go through the DIP so they're bound to know something. Don't be afraid to use your voice. You might think you're annoying them but I'd be pestering them for help and advice, it shows you're interested and anything that gets you talking to your fellow staff members is a good thing. And at the end of the day, it is how any new teacher gets by.

Advertisement