Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi and ethernet

Options
  • 19-02-2019 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭

Odd query, but just wondering if it's possible to connect to two separate networks, a local network (no internet) over ethernet and to a WiFi connection for internet simultaneously?
    It's a friend iMac, I'm guessing from around 2010.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It is indeed, I do this regularly. Just configure the 2 interfaces as normal. Just not that it's not a good idea to use two different Gateway addresses. Only provide the gateway address on the outward facing connection - the one connecting to the Internet. The local connection shouldn't need a gateway address.

For my set up I use the WiFi to connect to the internet on a 192. network. My Ethernet port connects to a VMWare Host on a 10. network.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

ZENER wrote: »
    It is indeed, I do this regularly. Just configure the 2 interfaces as normal. Just not that it's not a good idea to use two different Gateway addresses. Only provide the gateway address on the outward facing connection - the one connecting to the Internet. The local connection shouldn't need a gateway address.

For my set up I use the WiFi to connect to the internet on a 192. network. My Ethernet port connects to a VMWare Host on a 10. network.

Ken
    Cheers, want to setup TV streaming for him as he won't be getting a TV for a while. Have the box that will allow terrestrial and satellite streaming from it in a web browser, but his only broadband is 4g at the moment so a normal router wouldn't integrate the two. I may still go down the route of a 4g home router to make thing simpler, but a bit a jump in cost!

Advertisement