Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emily on the Scam

Options
  • 18-01-2019 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭

Have had a number of automated calls from "Emily" claiming to be from some broadband company or other to tell me my internet will be cut due to a security compromise and to press 1 to talk to a technician.

I assume its just a scam to get me to call a premium number and be kept on hold but does anyone know if it is anything more sinister?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most likely a scam.
    Any real issue would get a normal call response.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 grumpy old woman

I've had 3 calls today from "Emily" - a total of 5 in the last 2 weeks. Different local number every time - one startlingly similar to a caller who normally rings on Friday, I almost called back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 xDaniD21x

First Up wrote: »
    Have had a number of automated calls from "Emily" claiming to be from some broadband company or other to tell me my internet will be cut due to a security compromise and to press 1 to talk to a technician.

I assume its just a scam to get me to call a premium number and be kept on hold but does anyone know if it is anything more sinister?

We’ve gotten these calls, it’s a different number every time. We’ve actually started writing down when we get a call and over the last month we’ve had 20 calls. My mum actually pressed 1 the other day as she’s just so annoyed with it at this stage. She got through to some guy and ate the head off him. He swiftly hung up but we still get the calls.

Advertisement