Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agroforestry

Options
  • 15-03-2018 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Just an inquiry to see does anybody have any info/opinions on agroforestry .Is it worthwhile.I have some marginal peat soils just wondering is it financially beneficial to enter such a scheme.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

karolmc100 wrote: »
    Just an inquiry to see does anybody have any info/opinions on agroforestry .Is it worthwhile.I have some marginal peat soils just wondering is it financially beneficial to enter such a scheme.

See this from DAFM https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/forestry/grantandpremiumschemes/2016/AgroForestryWEB220816.pdf

Having read it, I'd suggest agroforestry is best suited to quality land, and your marginal peat soil would be better suited to conversion to standard forestry.
    I also notice that land that goes into the agroforestry scheme is classified as forested land thereafter with all the restrictions that that implies, so again that would mean that you'd be better off with a crop of trees and 15 years of premium instead of 5.

however if you were planning on growing veneer quality oak for your grandchildren in their old age then the agroforestry scheme might suit your requirements and your site.

I am making my living from only 100 acres of forestry at the moment, my mam has the premiums for her pension, i live on the proceeds of sales of planks, charcoal, and firewood.

after the 15 years of premium are up, your forest will be due its first thin, if you do this work yourself and sell the firewood obtained you'll do nicely out of it, and can expect a steady income thereafter from firewood from thinnings for the rest of the rotation.

hope this helps
    tim
    pm me if you wish to discuss by phone

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Iloverain

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/agro-forestry-offers-financial-benefit-if-payments-extended/

Anyone know if this can be don on hen harrier ground?
    How much would it cost to establish I wonder.

Advertisement