Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Algarve - Lagos or Alvor?

Options
  • 09-09-2019 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going to the Algarve next year - anybody been to both of these and have any preference or opinion on which they preferred?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Yes, been to both on many of occasions.

Lagos is the larger of the two with a wide variety of everything you'd expect from a tourist destination. Plentiful restaurants, bars, hotels. The train station is situated at the back of the marina which would allow you to visit other area's of the algarve also and the train is very cheap. There are a couple of nice beaches and plenty of boat trips on offer.

Alvor has more of village feel to it. Really nice and more traditional portuguese. Plenty of bars and really good restaurants that are excellent value for money. Plenty of Irish too, moreso than English. IIRC there are roughly 4 Irish bars in Alvor. It can bit quite hilly in places around the centre. There is also a lovely beach about 10 minutes or so walk from the village centre. Again plenty of options accomodation wise. If you want me to give you an opinion on potential accomodation will be happy to do so if you are unsure.

I suppose with regards the above it depends on what kind of holiday you are looking for and also if you are travelling with kids

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

Yes, been to both on many of occasions.

Lagos is the larger of the two with a wide variety of everything you'd expect from a tourist destination. Plentiful restaurants, bars, hotels. The train station is situated at the back of the marina which would allow you to visit other area's of the algarve also and the train is very cheap. There are a couple of nice beaches and plenty of boat trips on offer.

Alvor has more of village feel to it. Really nice and more traditional portuguese. Plenty of bars and really good restaurants that are excellent value for money. Plenty of Irish too, moreso than English. IIRC there are roughly 4 Irish bars in Alvor. It can bit quite hilly in places around the centre. There is also a lovely beach about 10 minutes or so walk from the village centre. Again plenty of options accomodation wise. If you want me to give you an opinion on potential accomodation will be happy to do so if you are unsure.

I suppose with regards the above it depends on what kind of holiday you are looking for and also if you are travelling with kids

Hope this helps

Sorry to jump on this thread, was just wondering would you have any suggestions for accomm for a 1 year old and 3 year old in Alvor (with parents!) ideally would like cooking facilities and 2 bedrooms so we’re not all in the same room

Sorry to jump on this thread, was just wondering would you have any suggestions for accomm for a 1 year old and 3 year old in Alvor (with parents!) ideally would like cooking facilities and 2 bedrooms so we’re not all in the same room

Alvor Baia or Alto Club apartments are both nice and priced reasonably and provide what you are looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭foreverandever

Alvor Baia or Alto Club apartments are both nice and priced reasonably and provide what you are looking for!

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Airbnb
    We went to Lagos this year and got a really nice 2 bed apt at the beach in a small complex of 12 apts all south facing and overlooking the pool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Airbnb
    We went to Lagos this year and got a really nice 2 bed apt at the beach in a small complex of 12 apts all south facing and overlooking the pool

How is the sea there? Cold? Suitable for kids?

in2dark wrote: »

It's the Atlantic ocean so it's cold with the exception of August & September, and even then you'd wanna be slightly brave to have a dip

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

in2dark wrote: »

The sea can be very choppy and unpredictable
    I’d have that as a bigger concern over the water temperature

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

I prefer Lagos, more to it. They are both very nice, and both hilly! Nice towns, not like some of the artifical resorts you get.
    Alvor is smaller very family friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Been to both. Alvor has a huge boardwalk that meanders through the sand dunes. Nice restaurants.

Lagos is bigger with a Marina, large supermarket etc

Of the two I would choose Lagos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

I'd prefer Alvor, Walking distance to Prai da Rocha and Portamoa, I'd realy recommend then the water taxi to Feragudo.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Parkender

Lagos has more of a “city” feel to it. As someone said Alvor is quaint and is like a busy resort village.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Would you have an accommodation in Alvor recommendation for 4 gents ? Something with pool, bar, near the town..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You wouldn't be disappointed with either but Lagos is much bigger and has a more city feel, stunning area though. Alvor is a smallish fishing village but really nice. I've stayed in both places twice.

Just a caveat about Lagos most the accomodation is on hills so with small children it can be tough.

Advertisement