Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

memories of "The Spike"

Options
  • 26-05-2012 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

The Spike was a short-lived RTE series about a school in Dublin. It earned a notorious reputation for its rawness and was quickly axed. The date was something like 1978 (give or take) and I imagine the intent was to key in to the punk scene which was the big thing at the time.

I won't say I was devoted to it at the time, I only caught half of one episode and had to change station when a sibling or parent came in to the TV room. However, several people at school said they were able to watch it (how cool was that).

What I'm trying to remember was its match-up to Grange Hill. Was it a reaction to Grange Hill? Or was it a precursor? Was it any good in fact? Was Grange Hill cleverer, because it just watered everything down?

I was preteen at the time and think I was a bit too young for it ... any memories from anybody?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Only heard of it - got pulled for some nudity scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

FishBowel wrote: »
    Only heard of it - got pulled for some nudity scene.

Spot on - there was a scene where some floozie was in her pelt as a model in an art class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

gyppo wrote: »
    Spot on - there was a scene where some floozie was in her pelt as a model in an art class.

It was a bit of let down, if I remember correctly, she was behind frosted glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

wasn't david kelly in that? did he play the art teacher in that scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,229 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

A lot of talk about it at the time.

We weren't allowed watch it.

Any chance of a re-run?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

She was from the waist up, filmed from behind a plant, a good distance away and some League of Decency person had a heart attack at the very thoughts of it.

I have the book it was based on. Harmless enough compared to what actually goes on in schools today.

It wasn't comparable to Grange Hill - it was a series for adults.
    AFAIK it's the only programme RTE have said they will never broadcast again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

artyeva wrote: »
    wasn't david kelly in that? did he play the art teacher in that scene?

Yeah... http://www.rte.ie/tv/scannal/scannalthespike.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

spurious wrote: »
    AFAIK it's the only programme RTE have said they will never broadcast again.

I have the book too, I picked it up in a second hand bookshop in Galway years ago. I'm too young to remember the series though - would love a chance to see it, shame about this!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I know I shouldn't find this funny but.......

"JB Murray, head of the League of Decency and a staunch campaigner against The Spike from the outset, suffered a heart attack while phoning the papers to complain about the nude scene."

I wonder what he would make of Spartacus : Blood & Sand

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

Hiyez .. OP thanks contributors, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

There's a documentary on RTE 1 now about this very show (Scannal!).Interestingly they showed the clip from the show where the model is nude.It's well before the watershed.Will there be complaints?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

I saw that clip on some RTE show years ago.You do see the young lady's rear end,pretty tame enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

RTE doc from 2002 about RTE drama in the 60's 70's and 80's with a lot of rare footage, the Burke Enigma, Year Of The French and more. The Spike is featured from 26:24 and the nude scene is included. You see quite a lot actually, more than I was expecting :)

Advertisement