Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish people moving to sydney australia in 2014

Options
  • 24-04-2013 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello All
    Myself and my boyfriend are going to Sydney Australia in jan 2014... Basically i started this thread for those planning on going to Sydney in 2014 and may want to get to know some people before or while in Australia. We would love to meet some new people and maybe become good friends with people... we both are very out going and would love to meet with people before we go to sydney... would be nice to get to know people before heading off to the unknown... if your intrested in getting to know us then leave a comment or pm me :)

christina & joey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Hi Christina,

Best of luck on your new adventure. My advice would be once you are here, maybe stay in hostels initially or if you go travelling the East Coast you will generally meet a lot of new people.

Once you settle, it really depends on your preference. Shared accommodation, Irish bars and sport are a great way to meet new people once you have put down some roots in a city.

Some people might wave their virtual finger at me for suggestion Irish bars, but they are great for meeting people and giving some sense of familiarity when you first come over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Diddler82 wrote: »
    Some people might wave their virtual finger at me for suggestion Irish bars, but they are great for meeting people and giving some sense of familiarity when you first come over.

+1 for this suggestion.
    usually when you first come over you might know a few people, then in turn they might introduce you to a few people and make friends that way.

Travellers in general seem to be more open to strangers, I know my circle of friends at home is a pretty tight group, while over here it's pretty loose, we all meet new people etc etc.

GAA, tag rugby etc are good way to meet new people too.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭butters.scotch

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Musicaddict1

Hey Christina! I'm looking to head to Sydney in January. I've my 1 yr Working Holiday Visa sorted but not booked any flights or accommodation yet. I had posted on here looking for a travel buddy but got no response so it now looks like I will be going it alone. I would really like to have at least 1 Irish contact available to me from the get-go so I wouldn't feel totally alone over there. What date in Jan are you both going? What are your plans when you get over there? Work? Travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭christinab89

heey Musicaddict1
    were flying out of dublin on the 30th of jan... were then staying in dubai for four days then back onto a plane to sydney.... what date are you planning on going??? are you going with anyone else??? once we get over there were going to have a holiday for a few weeks then down to job hunting... we plan on traveling up the gold coast aswel... whats your plans? we could arrange to meet up sometime before we go and talk about our plans??? :D

• Advertisement

Ah ok. So when do you arrive into Sydney then? Have you a hostel already booked? I'm still undecided as to what date to go. I keep changing my mind. At the moment now I'm looking at late Jan/early Feb. I seem to keep dragging the date out further as the days go by. I'm looking to start work ASAP out there so my plan is to stay in Sydney for a week or two to get my head together and then head off to do the 3 months fruit picking for the 2nd Year Visa, then come back to Sydney or maybe go to Melbourne to look for more long-term work. I'll then look to do some travelling once I've earned a bit of money. Work is my main reason for going over there, since I've been unemployed here for a number of years. However I also want to enjoy myself as well and see some of the country while I'm out there. It's all about trying to get the right balance. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Jan & Feb can be slow months to get work after Xmas and rural work can be affected as its the wet season in QLD. See what crops are going that time of year, where they are and plan around that.

Decent hostel in Sydney is the Billabong Hostel in Newtown. Funky part of the city, not too far form the centre, easy to get to/from and reasonably priced.

It's also a hot time of year to arrive so be prepared for it. When I got here a few years ago it was 42 degrees when I stepped off the plane. Granted it was a heatwave so it will take you a bit of time to acclimatise.

Cheers for the advice pete4130.

Did you meet many Irish when you stayed at the Billabong Hostel? I'm currently trying to decide which hostel to book for my arrival. I'd like to be in one where there's a chance of meeting a good few Irish. Do you know of any?

I've not stayed at it. I was lucky enough to have some friends through BMX over here to help out when I arrived. It's got good reviews and Newtown area has a good Irish population, not so much the wild types you might find down in Bondi etc.

There is an Irish bar nearby and lots and lots of good places to eat cheaply in Newtown (lots of places doing $7 steak meals, some are $10 with a beer, cheap noodle bars that are $7 for a meal etc...). It's closer to train stations to get around for viewing places and job interviews than Bondi/eastern suburbs which can be a nightmare to get to/from (I live 8km from Bondi and takes me about 75 mins to get there with trains and buses).

You will need a hostel booked (or at least an address) for when you land for immigration purposes. I think Billabong is about $168 a week for a shared dorm from memory.

Don't stress about a phone. There are phone shops at arrivals in the airport. Vodafone sort of sucks out here, Optus is another company which is good value but almost useless if you go rural. Telstra has the best coverage but isn't the greatest value. If you do your rural work and don't have an Telstra sim card you won't be long buying one. Could be a good option to just go with Telstra straight away. Sims are cheap.

Tax file number is done online so don't stress about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Pete gives mostly great advice there, but I'd disagree about the Eastern Suburbs. Some parts do have poor transport options (Rose Bay /Vaucluse) but others are fine. I don't live in Bondi but it's pretty well served by public transport. 10 minutes by train to Martin Place, or Town Hall (two main CBD stations). Another few minutes to Central station. The beach is 15 minutes from Bondi Junction. At the end of the day, most places are only primarily connected to the CBD, so transport between suburbs can be a very hit and miss affair.

Having said that, Newtown's a great spot. I wouldn't live there personally (prefer the beaches) but I have friends who do and it's got a great atmosphere, lots to do and great transport links.

• Advertisement

I just can't handle public transport. I ride bikes everywhere mostly. There are no train station at Bondi so getting to Bondi junction means waiting on buses, having prepaid tickets, traffic up there, transferring to a train etc.

Newtown is a hub of activity. I've lived just outside it in Alexandria and in January moved to the edges of Alexandria and Redfern so I'm close to everything in the CBD with trains if I need to, cycling if I need to and Newtown is about 4 mins on the train or a 5 min cycle. Redfern has a bad reputation stemming from years back but its one of those "up and coming areas" and isn't as bad as people make out.

If you go about 10-15 mins further west by train to St Peters, Marrickville, Dullwich Hill its a lot more residential and rents are a lot cheaper too while still having reasonably good public transport connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 swirl

Hi christinab89, I just got my Visa last week and I'm also planning on heading to Sydney next year. My plan so far is to head to Thailand for the month of March and then fly to Sydney on the 5th April. You will probably be well settled by then! Luckily, I have a friend over there who I can stay with for the first week or so but it would be good to know a few more people for when I arrive! :)

I'm 26, female, originally from Cork (living in Dublin).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 WeeHannah

swirl wrote: »
    Hi christinab89, I just got my Visa last week and I'm also planning on heading to Sydney next year. My plan so far is to head to Thailand for the month of March and then fly to Sydney on the 5th April. You will probably be well settled by then! Luckily, I have a friend over there who I can stay with for the first week or so but it would be good to know a few more people for when I arrive! :)

I'm 26, female, originally from Cork (living in Dublin).

Hi Swirl,

Also heading to Sydney this year, my plan is to head to Dubai March 31, then go onto Sydney April 5!

I'm 27, female, originally from Donegal and living in Dublin at the moment!

Just wondering, have you applied for your visa yourself or did you take a package from usit/trip advisor etc??

I am getting mixed reviews from my friends already in Oz: some say the travel companies are great value- others say it's a lot cheaper to book your visa, flights etc yourself!!

Any thoughts??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

100% buy a visa yourself DO NOT use usit. Their packages are usually crap, you can open bank accounts online and sim cards cost $2, tax file number can be obtained in a few days of landing.

Apart from insurance you are just paying someone to apply for you (they use the same forms etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Where would you purchase a visa if not through usit go4less etc?

Are they a lot cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 swirl

Hey WeeHannah!

I applied myself and got the visa in less than 24hrs! I just checked there and it cost me €301.42 in total so I'm not sure if it's much cheaper to go with USIT etc.

For my flights, I am travelling to Thailand first and I used TravelCounsellors.ie to book a one-way flight with British Airways. It ended up costing only a third of what it was advertised as on the BA website! I had to book my first 3 nights in Thailand with the agent as part of my package but comparing the cost on Booking.com it didn't work out too bad at all. The agent helping me is really good and has answered all my questions about baggage, transfers etc.

I had been looking on Skyscanner but there were just so many options and different airlines to choose from I felt better getting some advice and having someone to ask questions etc.

Have you started applying for jobs at all yet? I'm planning on updating the CV and LinkedIn profile at the weekend with the hope of getting onto some recruiters in advance.

The last thing I must sort out before I go is Health/Travel insurance but I need to do some research first!

Ha! We're both arriving the 5th, I might see you in the airport so, I'll be the pasty, white, freckly girl with too many bags to handle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Elaineoh13

Hi all , I'm heading to Sydney in 4 weeks , I haven't got much of a plan , was hoping to do the east coast , I'm heading out alone too so would love some buddies to do it with ! Prob try get some work after that in Sydney then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭funki_munkee

Hi Lads,

Myself and my friend are hoping to head out to Sydney soon! Just in the process of looking at visas and booking flights but hope to be out there sooner rather than later. Two girls, 23 & 24, heading out for work and mainly to experience the different way of life! Would love to know a few people on this before we head out and to maybe exchange planning tips and complaints with!! :) Also (may as well just come out and say it) looking to recruit new drinking buddies for the weekends and people for a house share during the week :p Feel free to get in contact!!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bestleftfull3

Hi Lads,

Myself and my friend are hoping to head out to Sydney soon! Just in the process of looking at visas and booking flights but hope to be out there sooner rather than later. Two girls, 23 & 24, heading out for work and mainly to experience the different way of life! Would love to know a few people on this before we head out and to maybe exchange planning tips and complaints with!! :) Also (may as well just come out and say it) looking to recruit new drinking buddies for the weekends and people for a house share during the week :p Feel free to get in contact!!

Hey :)

How soon you talking about?

Myself 23 and GF 21 are hoping to head early October, booking our visas next month and flights in june/july !have no idea what were going to do, Sydney looks to be the place we have decided on, but no plans after that!

Probaly do a week or two holiday somewhere beforehand like dubai! (just as a treat)

We will be like yourself looking for someone to house share and drink with of course :D

We'll be out there a bit sooner than that! By the end of next month, start of April hopefully, before something comes along to make us have second thoughts!! :P But you should still drop me a message when you are coming over, hopefully by October I will be a fountain of knowledge when it comes to Sydney so I can give you some advice about the place and it'll be great to have more people to hang out with over there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

Just in time for the new alcohol laws.

New alcohol laws? O dear, Im presuming thats not a good thing! Whats happening with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

Im hoping to go to either Perth or Sydney in May or before it if i can, would like a travel buddy to make it easier and less nerve wreckinng. Im 20, 21 in sept

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭RadarControl

Here is summary of new laws which come into effect on 24th February

This tough and comprehensive package includes:
     Eight year mandatory minimum sentence for those convicted under new one
    punch laws where the offender is intoxicated by drugs and/or alcohol, plus new
    mandatory minimum sentences for violent assaults where intoxicated by drugs
    and/or alcohol;
     Introduction of 1.30am lockouts and 3am last drinks across an expanded
    CBD precinct to include Kings Cross to Darling Harbour, The Rocks to
    Haymarket and Darlinghurst;
     New state-wide 10pm closing time for all bottle shops and liquor stores;
     Increasing the maximum sentence to 25 years for the illegal supply and
    possession of steroids – up from two years;
     Increased on-the-spot fines to $1,100 for continued intoxicated and disorderly
    behaviour disobeying a police move-on order – an increase of more than five
    times;
     Community awareness and media campaign to address the culture of
    binge drinking and the associated drug and alcohol related violence;
     Free buses running every ten minutes from Kings Cross to the CBD to
    connect with existing NightRide services on Friday and Saturday nights;
     Remove voluntary intoxication by drugs or alcohol as a mitigating factor
    when courts determine sentences;
     Increasing maximum penalties by two years where drugs and/or alcohol
    are aggravating factors for violent crimes including assault causing grievous
    bodily harm, reckless bodily harm, assault against police, affray and sexual
    assault;
     Enabling Police to impose an immediate CBD precinct ban of up to 48
    hours for trouble-makers;
     Introduction of a periodic risk-based licencing scheme with higher fees
    imposed for venues and outlets that have later trading hours, poor compliance
    histories or are in high risk locations;
     A precinct-wide freeze on liquor licences for new pubs and clubs will
    be introduced.

By lockouts they mean you have to be in pub\club by 1:30am or you are not getting in.

Hi Lads,

I will be going over in may or june i hope or earlier if i can, will be doing the visa soon,, would be nice to not do it alone and have people over there to meet up with and not feel lost in a new country. Im 20

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

I will be going over in may or june i hope or earlier if i can, will be doing the visa soon,, would be nice to not do it alone and have people over there to meet up with and not feel lost in a new country. Im 20

I don't mean to offend you but your age may be a disadvantage over here. Do you have any qualifications or experience? Australia is expensive and it can be hard to get by on a small wage. I recently met a 20 year old guy who had never lived away from home and could barely make himself a sandwich( I'm not saying this applies to all guys your age). This guy also knew so little about Australia that he thought he could see New Zealand from Kings Park in Perth so I hope you've done a little bit more research than he had.

aido79 wrote: »
    I don't mean to offend you but your age may be a disadvantage over here. Do you have any qualifications or experience? Australia is expensive and it can be hard to get by on a small wage. I recently met a 20 year old guy who had never lived away from home and could barely make himself a sandwich( I'm not saying this applies to all guys your age). This guy also knew so little about Australia that he thought he could see New Zealand from Kings Park in Perth so I hope you've done a little bit more research than he had.

No offense take, i see where your coming from, no qualification, but have alot if experience from lanscaping,construction,office work, wood set building, im not bad at painting and all them either, and i was a clean up person in a restuarent and child minding.. And i can cook haha.. I know ppl that have gone so i know stuff from them, im just figuring where to go either perth or sydney? I looked up jobs and there are jobs on both places.. The only worry i have is meeting ppl thats my only worry, ive been away from home on holidays with friends many times so i wouldnt be that lonesome..

Thanks RadarControl. Nothing in there too shocking thankfully! Ye Anthony, as I said we should be out there earlier than that so you can message me when you get out or whatever so at least youll know somewhere out there. Think we are definite on Sydney now, cant seem to find much information on the Irish in Sydney, I know that for people moving to Perth theres a facebook page, as well as a dedicated web page with a forum, if anybody knows of something similar for Sydney please let me know. Would love to be able to get some info re: which area to live in, house shares available, and general past advice from people who have done the trip before us.

Thanks RadarControl. Nothing in there too shocking thankfully! Ye Anthony, as I said we should be out there earlier than that so you can message me when you get out or whatever so at least youll know somewhere out there. Think we are definite on Sydney now, cant seem to find much information on the Irish in Sydney, I know that for people moving to Perth theres a facebook page, as well as a dedicated web page with a forum, if anybody knows of something similar for Sydney please let me know. Would love to be able to get some info re: which area to live in, house shares available, and general past advice from people who have done the trip before us.

Ok cool thanks, you can keep us posted on where ye end up and if its worth going there, ive heard there is alot of backpackers in sydney, not sure if there irish, there is a few forums that say what area in sydney is good to live in, usually if u type it into google it comes up or lonley planet usually has stuff about going to places in Australia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 clumhoho

Hey all,

My friends and I(2 guys, 2 girls, all 24) are moving over to Sydney in June, looking like we will be arriving there on Sat 14th June. It would be great to meet a few friendly faces when we get there. Or even tips from people who have been or are currently there would be great.

Ive been following this thread along and there is some great advice here so far, thanks to all who contributed. My male friend and I would be looking at getting involved in a sports team, and I've found Phoenix FC on fb. They are a soccer team comprised of Irish guys. Sounds perfect for us. Plus I believe this is a great way to meet people and get contacts in and around Sydney!

Drop me a line if you have any advice on housing,jobs,social etc.

Cheers,
    C

Advertisement