Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging visa predicament

Options
  • 10-04-2014 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I currently have a 457 which expires on May 10th. I have just put through an application for ENS 186 tonight. I got email notification from immi saying
    that I now have a bridging visa, though the bridging visa will cease if I leave Australia.

I have a flight booked back to Ireland for May 21st for a short holiday, which I presume means I will lose my bridging visa status.

Any ideas what I can do here?. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You already have BVA?

If so apply for BVB

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/020.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

As Mandrake said, apply for the bridging visa B if you plan on leaving the country. When you reenter you bridging visa A kicks in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Thanks for the info chaps, exactly what I was after.

In typical Australian style it is $140 for a BVB. Nothing cheap around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

pete4130 wrote: »
    As Mandrake said, apply for the bridging visa B if you plan on leaving the country. When you reenter you bridging visa A kicks in again.

Actually, you remain on the BVB when you return.

Feelgood - it is cleaner if you wait until your BVA is active (11 May) before obtaining the BVB.

Niall O'Rourke

MARN1277929

Thanks Niall, but that is cutting it a bit fine. I leave for Ireland on May 21st.

Immi recommend applying for a BVB 2 weeks before you intend on leaving the country.

• Advertisement

Feelgood wrote: »
    Thanks Niall, but that is cutting it a bit fine. I leave for Ireland on May 21st.

Immi recommend applying for a BVB 2 weeks before you intend on leaving the country.

Up to you Feelgood. Online processing time is 1-3 days normally. Or you can get a BVB granted on the spot if applied for in person at a DIBP office.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Feelgood wrote: »

Go into the Immi office on Lee street and do it in person. Worth it for speed and peace of mind.

NiallSORo wrote: »
    Feelgood - it is cleaner if you wait until your BVA is active (11 May) before obtaining the BVB.

Niall O'Rourke

MARN1277929
    The BVA is granted from the day he applies. Right now he isn't on a 457.
    To apply for a BVB you have to be on a BVA or BVB

Mellor wrote: »

To apply for a BVB you have to be on a BVA or BVB

I thought you were granted a BV when you apply but it only kicks in when your current substantive visa ends, obviously the dept of immigration is wrong. I feel kinda stupid now believing them.

Go into the Immi office on Lee street and do it in person. Worth it for speed and peace of mind.

Cheers for the heads up, yeah I will definitely do it in person.
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    I thought you were granted a BV when you apply but it only kicks in when your current substantive visa ends, obviously the dept of immigration is wrong. I feel kinda stupid now believing them.

I had the same impression, but Mellor is right. I was granted a BVA around 2 days after I submitted the 186 application.

Where did I say anything about immi being wrong?

When it "kicks in" isn't important in relation to changing to a BVB. Right now he has been granted a BVA, he'll have the grant notice attached to the acknowledgement of valid application. You can apply for a BVB once the BVA is granted, but not before. I see no reason to wait. If it's convent to apply now, why not?
    Travel overseas
    This bridging visa only allows you to remain in Australia. When you leave Australia, your bridging visa will cease, even if you hold another type of visa that does allow you to leave and return to Australia.
    As you are a holder of valid Temporary Work (Skilled) visa that allows you to leave and return to Australia, the department recommends that you either:

apply for and be granted a Bridging visa B (which you can only do if you already hold a Bridging visa A or a Bridging visa B) before you travel or
    apply for another Bridging visa A as soon as you return to Australia

• Advertisement

Where did I say anything about immi being wrong?

When it "kicks in" isn't important in relation to changing to a BVB. Right now he has been granted a BVA, he'll have the grant notice attached to the acknowledgement of valid application. You can apply for a BVB once the BVA is granted, but not before. I see no reason to wait. If it's convent to apply now, why not?

Sorry I thought you said

What do you mean that he isn't on a 457? that the 457 has been cancelled and replaced by a bridging visa? it was my understanding that even though the bridging visa is granted it only comes into effect when the current substantive visa ceases.

When does a bridging visa give lawful status?

A bridging visa comes into effect when it is granted, unless you hold a substantive visa in which case it comes into effect when that visa ceases.
    A bridging visa granted to keep a non-citizen lawful while a substantive visa application is being considered

https://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1024i.pdf

My understanding of bridging visas was like Niall mentioned above that the substantive visa (457) ceases on 10th May and the bridging visa comes into effect 11th.

Obviously immigration 1024i is wrong and I stand corrected. I do apologise.

Right now he isn't on a 457.

This is incorrect.

He has 2 visas now - the 457 (substantive) and the BVA (not substantive). Despite being "granted" the BVA is currently inactive. It will be active from the 11th May until his 186 is decided. if obtained, a BVB will replace this and have the same validity.

This is incorrect.

He has 2 visas now - the 457 (substantive) and the BVA (not substantive). Despite being "granted" the BVA is currently inactive. It will be active from the 11th May until his 186 is decided. if obtained, a BVB will replace this and have the same validity.

Yes, it seems this info and mandrake are correct.
    It says it in the fine print.
    About your bridging visa
    This bridging visa is not in effect because your Temporary Business Entry visa is currently in effect.

What do you mean that he isn't on a 457? that the 457 has been cancelled and replaced by a bridging visa? it was my understanding that even though the bridging visa is granted it only comes into effect when the current substantive visa ceases.
    You're right. The 457 is still in effect. So I shouldn't of said that part.
    But I stand by the rest. The OP can apply for the BVB now.
    My understanding of bridging visas was like Niall mentioned above that the substantive visa (457) ceases on 10th May and the bridging visa comes into effect 11th.

Obviously immigration 1024i is wrong and I stand corrected. I do apologise.
    You don't need to wait until the BVA is in effect to apply for a BVB. the first BV has to be granted, but that's it.
    There's no benefit that I can see to waiting for it to be in effect - what am I overlooking?
    If the OP had time on his side, then sure why not, PR might be through before then. But in the OPs case he only has 7 working days between 457 cease and travel date. Why bother?

But I stand by the rest. The OP can apply for the BVB now.

Did I not basically say that in post #2? I think I did!!! really the OPs question was already answered long before you started making up your own rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

ooh-matron-with-text.gif

There's no benefit that I can see to waiting for it to be in effect - what am I overlooking?

1. Departmental stuff-ups
    2. Departmental stuff-ups
    3. Departmental stuff-ups

But in the OPs case he only has 7 working days between 457 cease and travel date. Why bother?

Not sure why this is now the big issue but as mentioned this can be obtained on the spot. Feelgood could feasibly pop in to Lee St on his way to the airport to get the BVB if he fancied living on the edge...

Not sure why this is now the big issue

Good old idiotic back-pedalling, worth a good laugh all the same.

Advertisement