Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting with a recruitment agency upon arrival in Oz

Options
  • 21-04-2014 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

So planning to head to Oz on a WHV after I graduate this May. Planning to go straight on the job hunt and meet up with an agency. Anyone else have experience doing this?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

What kind of answers are you hoping to get?

I met up with some recruiters when I was there in 2011. I'm in the Finance sector. I found that recruitment agents are all talk and no action for the most part. This isn't just in Oz.

You'll be invited to many 'interviews' where they just ask you rote questions to get your CV on file and then they'll email you with marketing crap for years. You might get a proper interview once in a blue moon.

The only real way is to hound them, and I mean hound them, until putting you in a job is less hassle than taking your calls/mails/facetoface call ins.

I actually got a job pretty easy but I met with at least 6 or 7 agents.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭smithirl

smithirl wrote: »
    So planning to head to Oz on a WHV after I graduate this May. Planning to go straight on the job hunt and meet up with an agency. Anyone else have experience doing this?

Thanks in advance

How did you get on with the job? Did u get sponsored? Were u a recent graduate at the time?

Thanks for the reply!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Job was fine. I changed a few different times for the same agent in different contracts.

Probably could have gotten sponsored in my last role if I wanted too. I decided I didnt want to. I went travelling Asia instead.

I had 1yrs work experience before I got to Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I was applying for jobs for a couple of weeks while I was in Brisbane, applied for a temp warehouse job and an agency got back to me. Did that for a couple of weeks, then straight away they offered me a similar position in another part of the city.

Didn't have a car at the time, and could not realistically get to the job (6am start if I remember rightly) in time by public transport....so had to say no.

Recruitment agency never rang me again!

So that's my limited experience...not exactly skilled work though, so slightly different to finance :rolleyes:

Advertisement