Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Oz

Options
  • 20-04-2014 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Have been doing my homework on a trip to Oz after I finish college. I'll be going alone and came across 'Ultimate Oz' travel agency where you pay around 500euro and for that you get airport transport to a hostel, meet up with the rest of the people involved in the same package as you and then spend a week together doing various surfing, sightseeing, nights out etc.

Anyone have any experience doing this? Only thing I am worried about is once the week is up what happens next? From what I can see people group up in 3s/4s and head off and travel & live together. Thing is, what happens if the week comes to an end and I'm all alone with no one!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

Just get yourself into a hostel and dont be paying 500 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

Ya totally agree with the above. Just start off in a hostel. There are loads of lone travelers and most of the people iv come across in hostels have been very friendly and open.
    I can give u some hostel recommendations if you need them:) but save ur 500 dolla! You will need it over here!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭smithirl

Windorah wrote: »
    Ya totally agree with the above. Just start off in a hostel. There are loads of lone travelers and most of the people iv come across in hostels have been very friendly and open.
    I can give u some hostel recommendations if you need them:) but save ur 500 dolla! You will need it over here!!!

Thanks for your advice. The way I look at it is I'd be spending around that for that week anyway, so may as well avail of an all in package.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Sounds like your heart is set on the package.
    Inevitably those trips involve drinking and partying which will add on whatever you're willing to drink. So I would be looking at a 1000 all up and not the $830 which it now is. Inevitably these guys are making profit from this exercise.
    As long as you have the cash spare & think that you'll get something out of it; a nice holiday experience, maybe some new mates, it might be alright.
    2 of the days are away on the coast; Port Stephens it looks like.
    But realistically, the walking tour of Opera House etc. you could do yourself if you were willing to. The walk from Coogee to Bondi is not something I would ever consider paying to do and doing it in a large group sounds tedious. It is something a lot of locals do for exercise, either walking or running it and it's very enjoyable as a visitor, it's essentially a cliff side walk.
    Also, most hostels will generally collect you at the airport with some sort of shuttle when you book ahead.
    Other than that, just book into that particular hostel anyway & inevitably there will be parties/social nights and plenty other opportunities to make friends that won't cost as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mel84

If you're travelling alone check out Travbuddy.com its really good I will be using it and wit a few friends when we head off in August! :D Where are you heading?

• Advertisement
Advertisement