Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much of your life do you actually remember?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Not much.

Generally I remember the good more than the bad, funnily enough.

My ex was a total wagon of a person who basically tormented me for almost three years and yet most of what I remember or what comes to my mind first when thinking about her, are the good times we had together even though they were probably far fewer in between than the bad things. Which is really annoying because my missus now is a much better person than her in every way, but hey, can't escape the past some times.

I think that logic probably applies to most things in life, too. You tend to remember the good, not the bad. So when something bad happens, don't worry, you'll probably forget about it anyway, you old fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

98% of Humans have crap memory
    I
    n nearly all case your memories of your youth are in fact you remembering remembering something , its a proven thing ,

Your details are not what actually happened but you remembering the story of what happened that you have played over in your head,
    I'm not reading this post but I'm reading my reading of it. Is that it. I'm smrt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Probably not as much as I think.
    If you said 1996 I could work out a few things like where we went on holiday, what class I was in school, which would probably rekindle a lot more memories especially if looking at a photo.

Recently though I encountered a smell, that brought me back to a time and place when I was kid, like in that movie Ratatouille and a ton of memories came flooding back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

No sooner had the warm liquid mixed with the crumbs touched my palate than a shudder ran through me and I stopped, intent upon the extraordinary thing that was happening to me. An exquisite pleasure had invaded my senses, something isolated, detached, with no suggestion of its origin. And at once the vicissitudes of life had become indifferent to me, its disasters innocuous, its brevity illusory – this new sensation having had on me the effect which love has of filling me with a precious essence; or rather this essence was not in me it was me. ... Whence did it come? What did it mean? How could I seize and apprehend it? ... And suddenly the memory revealed itself. The taste was that of the little piece of madeleine which on Sunday mornings at Combray (because on those mornings I did not go out before mass), when I went to say good morning to her in her bedroom, my aunt Léonie used to give me, dipping it first in her own cup of tea or tisane. The sight of the little madeleine had recalled nothing to my mind before I tasted it. And all from my cup of tea.”

Marcel Proust, In Search of Lost Time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

It’s fairly well documented that smells or tastes can bring memories back. (Obviously the tastes or smells can’t be that common).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

when anyone talks of memory a line pops into my head ''i remember i remember the house where i was born''. in one of his war memoirs spike milligan quotes it, his family moved around a lot when he was a kid and he says the line always stuck with him because he lacked that permanence.

now there is a funny thing to remember, anyway this thread prompted me to look up the poem for the fist time ever despite that fact that i probably quote that one line in my head nearly every day, and its 25 years since i read the book.

its from a poem called i remember i remember by a pote called thomas hood.

I remember, I remember,

The house where I was born,

The little window where the sun

Came peeping in at morn;

He never came a wink too soon,

Nor brought too long a day,

But now, I often wish the night

Had borne my breath away!

I remember, I remember,

The roses, red and white,

The vi'lets, and the lily-cups,

Those flowers made of light!

The lilacs where the robin built,

And where my brother set

The laburnum on his birthday,—

The tree is living yet!

I remember, I remember,

Where I was used to swing,

And thought the air must rush as fresh

To swallows on the wing;

My spirit flew in feathers then,

That is so heavy now,

And summer pools could hardly cool

The fever on my brow!

I remember, I remember,

The fir trees dark and high;

I used to think their slender tops

Were close against the sky:

It was a childish ignorance,

But now 'tis little joy

To know I'm farther off from heav'n

Than when I was a boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

In effect, it's reckoned we remember less than 1% of our lives. Pick a year at random, say 2007, can you recall one event for each day of that year? Highly unlikely. We'll remember major events and may recall specific items for some noteworthy reason but most vanishes.

Well you might only remember 1% of your life if asked in such a vague way as what do you remember about some random year

But you probably would remember significantly more if asked more specific questions which triggered memories..like you mightnt remember the movies you went to see in the year 2007 if somebody asked to list them but if somebody brought up a random movie in conversation that you had happened to have seen during 2007 youll probably remember lots of things about it for instance, you mightnt remember certain parties or having met certain old friends during 2007 if asked, but if asked specifically did you enjyo marys 50th or johns 21st back in 2007 youll probably remember lots of specific things about those individial events too even if you arent always thinking about them off the top of your head and they werent defining moments in your life that would summarise certain yearsor parts of your life

So if you were asked lots of specific memory triggering questions about your life Id say we could all remember huge amoounts of our adult life

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

One thing I find interesting is that on more than one occasion, I've been discussing my youth with friends and they often remember things of which I have zero recollection and vice versa.

One of the incidents I was told about, for example, was a fist fight on the street with another (bully) kid that I had when I was around 10 or 11 that I couldn't recall at all and I always assumed you'd remember dramatic things like that as I remember far more mundate things from the same period.

Just find it interesting that in an almost random way, we all seem to prioritize different things in memory.

One thing I'm always dubious about though, is people claiming to remember extremely early memories. I think sometimes it could be selective, based on anecdotes or other stuff, and curated over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

One thing I find interesting is that on more than one occasion, I've been discussing my youth with friends and they often remember things of which I have zero recollection and vice versa.

One of the incidents I was told about, for example, was a fist fight on the street with another (bully) kid that I had when I was around 10 or 11 that I couldn't recall at all and I always assumed you'd remember dramatic things like that as I remember far more mundate things from the same period.

Just find it interesting that in an almost random way, we all seem to prioritize different things in memory.

One thing I'm always dubious about though, is people claiming to remember extremely early memories. I think sometimes it could be selective, based on anecdotes or other stuff, and curated over time.

Depends what you mean by early? I have many very clear early ,memories, 2 and under that were in the house we left when I was 3. Not anecdotal as family fragmented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I remember my toddler days, 34 currently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I remember too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Munster46 wrote: »
    I’m trying to recall my youth and I feel like I’m missing years. Wondering how everyone else’s memory is?

You're not alone. I feel like the last 16 years was speed-ed up some way from a different time perspective/dimension in some weird way. I noticed a long time ago of a change in time, like some spectral anomaly interfered with natural space-time moving it forward much faster.

As weird and strange as this sounds, that's what it feels like.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

Advertisement