Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could you handle a polyamory relationship

Options
  • 11-11-2018 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

watching the new louis theroux doc from last week on polyamory.

well. could you handle your mrs or fella being banged by someone else on a regular basis , sometimes when you’re upstairs or downstairs

dont think i get it tbh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Polly who? Never heard of her, is she cute?

Have not heard of that documentary. DO you have a link or something to where it is?

We have been in such a relationship for over 11 years now - and it has not harmed us yet :) In fact we are currently gestating our third child and really happy about it.

What channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

If someone looks at my misses im Jealous. Polyamory would lead to a murder charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

"Polyamory? Isn't that what we used to call "shagging around"?

The reaction of a hard-bitten features editor, apparently, to an eager young journalist who wanted to write an in-depth article of this crucial facet of today's zeitgeist.

Well, isn't it?

• Advertisement

"Polyamory? Isn't that what we used to call "shagging around"?

That is more "swinging" or "open relationship" I think. Where partners come and go - one night stands - and so forth.

Polyamory is more long term and fixed. As one link on google says "Polyamory means having multiple romantic relationships at the same time, with the knowledge and consent of everyone involved. An open relationship is a relationship where the parties are free to take new partners"

Reading this thread really just brings back the amber rose interview.

Amber: well if going on dates with men makes me a slut I suppose im a slut.

Jess L-P: i dont think its the dating that makes you a slut more so having sex with multiple guys.

Amber: well what would that make you.

Jess L-P: a slut maker

Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Have not heard of that documentary. DO you have a link or something to where it is?

We have been in such a relationship for over 11 years now - and it has not harmed us yet :) In fact we are currently gestating our third child and really happy about it.

go on give us more info.

it was on bbclast week. dont have a link sorry. recorded it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

What's the story with Polyamory?

Try_harder wrote: »

You can bang around.

• Advertisement

Specialun wrote: »
    go on give us more info.

it was on bbclast week. dont have a link sorry. recorded it.

Not much info to give that I have not given multiple times on the forum before. I am 11ish years as the M in an MFF relationship now.

The girls titled it a "Truple". And except for it being 3 people and not 2 - we are pretty much the same as a "couple" in every other way. Pretty much all the same rules and expectations and dynamics you would expect of a couple.

As you can see from the posts just above mine however - there is a misconception that it is the same thing as an open relationship or sleeping around. That is something else though - not what we do and not - I think - what the word polyamory means.

If anyone has a link to it that would be nice - always interested to follow the current thinking on it for obvious reasons. Or if you can Drop Box it and share a link with me or whatever.

Commanchie wrote: »
    You can bang around.
    Wouldn't you like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Not a chance. And I view it as ‘not in a relationship’ if someone told me they were in an open relationship. I’d class it as ‘having open relations’ nothing relationshippy at all about that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

Try_harder wrote: »

Being married/committed but free to bang who you please.

Swingers/cuckoldry are alt terms for it

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RasmusHax

I'm waaaay to jealous for that...

Being married/committed but free to bang who you please.

Swingers/cuckoldry are alt terms for it

/i was going for the Balamory tune lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Nah, not for me. Each to their own though, if poly relationships suit some people then good for them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Not much info to give that I have not given multiple times on the forum before. I am 11ish years as the M in an MFF relationship now.

The girls titled it a "Truple". And except for it being 3 people and not 2 - we are pretty much the same as a "couple" in every other way. Pretty much all the same rules and expectations and dynamics you would expect of a couple.

As you can see from the posts just above mine however - there is a misconception that it is the same thing as an open relationship or sleeping around. That is something else though - not what we do and not - I think - what the word polyamory means.

If anyone has a link to it that would be nice - always interested to follow the current thinking on it for obvious reasons. Or if you can Drop Box it and share a link with me or whatever.

google louis theroux altered states and id say you could find a stream

google louis theroux altered states and id say you could find a stream

Ok will do. Derren Brown who I quite like just released a new thing on Netflix - and also did a 2 hour Joe Rogan - so I am going to be focused on that for this evening. House party here last night was pretty wild so think a bit of calming Derren is about all I am good for tonight. So I will check for your idea tomorrow I think unless someone else has sent a link before then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

could you handle your mrs or fella being banged by someone else on a regular basis , sometimes when you’re upstairs

Absolutely no way. How could you even consider it. Jesus.
    or downstairs

Well, when you put it like that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

People that ARE polyamorous are bored and frustrated by idiots thinking it is the same as swinging or screwing around.
    It's not. It's an orientation.

I've known a number of polyamorous groupings, and they are all unanimous in saying, it takes a lot of work and attention, everyone's needs must be met, it doesn't work for the "jealous" and nobody owns anyone. All that is owed is honesty.

That being said, I have noticed that such clusters often have quite a short shelf-life.
    (Mind you, so do many conventional marriages)

Look it up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyamory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

It wouldn't be for me. One person at a time is enough to keep me happy and keeping one person happy at a time is hard enough for me. But if someone else wants something different fair play to them. I wouldn't want them to force their lifestyle choices on me and I shouldn't force mine on them.

• Site Banned Posts: 75 ✭✭Lillybloom

Omackeral wrote: »
    Absolutely no way. How could you even consider it. Jesus.

Well, when you put it like that...

Why would you not consider it? Why is it such a problem if someone else has sex with your significant other?

Lillybloom wrote: »
    Why would you not consider it? Why is it such a problem if someone else has sex with your significant other?

Ah come on like

Commanchie wrote: »
    Ah come on like

What is the actual problem? I think the problem most people have is their precious little ego, they don't truly love themselves, they treat their partner as a possesion to enhance their ego.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Isnt that a new name for "having multiple affairs"

Isnt that a new name for "having multiple affairs"

An affair is a breach of trust, if you agree to have sex with other people you are not breaching trust if you have sex with someone else. If you do in fact love someone, why would you want to repress their desire to have sex with other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

What is the actual problem? I think the problem most people have is their precious little ego, they don't truly love themselves, they treat their partner as a possesion to enhance their ego.

Or maybe they just are more comfortable with the idea of fidelity.

There's nothing wrong with polyamory, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with monogamy either.

Insulting people just because they don't share your view on it is silly.

It's nothing to do with ego. It's about intimacy and that feeling of knowing your partner in ways others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

My marriage is based on many things one being that we don't sleep with other people. I've no issue if it works for other couples but it's not for us. Sleeping with someone else would involve deception and neither of us want to be.with someone who can be duplicitous. Our family, our kids security, our unit is more important than a fumble with a randomer.

• Advertisement

Or maybe they just are more comfortable with the idea of fidelity.

There's nothing wrong with polyamory, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with monogamy either.

Insulting people just because they don't share your view on it is silly.

It's nothing to do with ego. It's about intimacy and that feeling of knowing your partner in ways others don't.

Why do you need to know your partner better than anyone else? Do you get jealous if their sibling knows them just as well as you?

You say things like intimacy abd fidelity, but really I think those words are a cover up for the real reason, you want to protect your ego.

Advertisement