Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will we be the last generation to experience death?

Options
  • 05-11-2018 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭

With medical advances and perhaps the possibility in the future of being able to upload our consciousness to a non biological storage device. Is it possible that today’s adults will be the last to experience involuntary death by natural causes?

How would it feel to miss out on the chance of extreme longevity or even immortality by a few measly decades?

Personally I would take some comfort in being the last generation to die rather than being the first to live forever.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We'll be dying for many generations to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    With medical advances and perhaps the possibility in the future of being able to upload our consciousness to a non biological storage device. Is it possible that today’s adults will be the last to experience involuntary death by natural causes?

How would it feel to miss out on the chance of extreme longevity or even immortality by a few measly decades?

Personally I would take some comfort in being the last generation to die rather than being the first to live forever.

how-to-stop-smoking-weed-everyday-infographic-small-e1495482987610.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

hahaha no

(unless you mean the human race could potentially be wiped out by an all-out nuclear war so we'd literally be the last humans to die, then... maybe?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

being able to upload our consciousness to a non biological storage device.

Imagine if you did that. And it worked out. And then there was a power cut.

• Advertisement

Double

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Or you did it twice and had a split personality.

Obi-Wan'd have one hell of a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Or you did it twice and had a split personality.

So you've done all that, and then some dork forks the branch. You end up with a bunch of smelly geeks arguing for all eternity over whether to use systemd or SYSV-style runcom. Welcome to the Eleventh Circle of Hell.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Or my mam would record over it with a place in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

What if your file got merged with somebody else by mistake Margret Cash for example.

What if your file got merged with somebody else by mistake Margret Cash for example.

No chance. My file is not her cousin.

Seriously though, we're far more likely to accidentally wipe ourselves out than intentionally achieve immortality.

I've thought for a long time that humanity as a species is both very very clever and extremely stupid - we're like an inventor who develops a supremely efficient, elegant and effective saw, then cannot see why it is not a good idea to use it on the branch we're all sitting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Being stored on a device sounds like hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

kneemos wrote: »
    Being stored on a device sounds like hell.

Your consciousness is already stored on a device, it just happens to be biological.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JazzJaquzzi

Even if my thoughts, experiences, personality, and tentative plans to purchase a hat were copied to another container, I'd still end up pretty much dead at the end of my life, right?

Some other entity would be going about their business, cautiously perusing hat stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Your consciousness is already stored on a device, it just happens to be biological.

A device that provides sensory input.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The black mirror version looked cool. You'd get fed up after a while though

kneemos wrote: »
    A device that provides sensory input.

Sensory input t can be replicated. maybe already has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

It would be great if science finds a way to slow down the aging process so that 90 becomes the new 60.

But artificially keeping death at bay by pumping someone full of drugs despite a degradation of mental and physical faculties is no way to live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Even if my thoughts, experiences, personality, and tentative plans to purchase a hat were copied to another container, I'd still end up pretty much dead at the end of my life, right?

Some other entity would be going about their business, cautiously perusing hat stores.

I guess that's how you define 'you'.

If that other entity all of a sudden had your thoughts, experiences, personality etc. How different would it be from being you?

Mind that's probably more of a question to be pondered in front of a fire with a few glasses (or bottles) of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The world will end before we all die.

Bob Harris wrote: »

latest?cb=20161030223301

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

always one thread on a Monday morning based on giving up drinking or dying:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 JazzJaquzzi

wexie wrote: »
    I guess that's how you define 'you'.

If that other entity all of a sudden had your thoughts, experiences, personality etc. How different would it be from being you?

Mind that's probably more of a question to be pondered in front of a fire with a few glasses (or bottles) of wine.

Agreed! (Both about the defining of "You" and on the wine.) To me though, this would be a clone of myself at a specific time, whereas the real me (to me anyway) will branch off to a different life, and eventual death.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://goo.gl/images/vH5WBe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

More accurate, we will end the world before we all die :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

There is a sizeable portion of the world population that struggle to stay alive through conventional means let alone have the resources to 'upload their consciousness' or some such rubbish.

There is a sizeable portion of the world population that struggle to stay alive through conventional means let alone have the resources to 'upload their consciousness' or some such rubbish.

......I guess it depends on who you ask.

Seem to be plenty of people that believe you just need to have a little faith and then you'll eventually be stored in the cloud!!

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭505_

I'm not stupid, no one lives forever. No one. But with advances in modern science and my high level of income, I mean, it's not crazy to think I can't live to be 245, maybe 300.

Advertisement