Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Humanity has wiped out 60% of animal populations since 1970

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭green shoots

Fourier wrote: »
    The first world, which is disproportionately contributing to global warming, is already moving toward population decline and in many areas of Eastern and Central Europe the population is declining. Europe is projected to have declined by 2050.

Regardless, we are consuming everything at a totally unsustainable rate and it's only going to get worse. Ireland may be able to handle more people but why do we want a growing population? I really wish growth wasn't the main aim of governments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Regardless, we are consuming everything at a totally unsustainable rate and it's only going to get worse.
    You don't know that, it depends on how industry develops in general. People said similar things about the contributions to the Ozone hole and that did change.
    Ireland may be able to handle more people but why do we want a growing population?
    It's not about whether we should want it, just that it's not the most relevant factor. Ireland is well off its carrying capacity.

Beyond that, your question is hard to answer, what population do you think the country should have? The current one? Less? Why?

You don't know that, it depends on how industry develops in general. People said similar things about the contributions to the Ozone hole and that did change.

It's not about whether we should want it, just that it's not the most relevant factor. Ireland is well off its carrying capacity.

Beyond that, your question is hard to answer, what population do you think the country should have? The current one? Less? Why?

I think the land would be healthier if more of it was wild. As noted before in this thread, we have the lowest forest coverage in Europe. When you look around the island none of it is untouched by man, bar a couple of national parks. We have no wilderness. I would like if some parts were "rewilded".
    Look at the damage we are doing to the land with the current population. Raw sewage being pumped into rivers, dumping all over the island. More population = more pollution.

What do you think is an acceptable population? Of course less people means less pollution, but reducing the population, especially for Ireland never seems to be suggested as the main solution in scientific sources.

Yes I can see the damage done with the current population, but why is the primary factor the numerical value of the current population as opposed to our lifestyles, waste management and various other factors.

What do you think is an acceptable population? Of course less people means less pollution, but reducing the population, especially for Ireland never seems to be suggested as the main solution in scientific sources.

Yes I can see the damage done with the current population, but why is the primary factor the numerical value of the current population as opposed to our lifestyles, waste management and various other factors.

I think humans are always going to be polluting with the way we are now. But yes maybe some kind of sustainable growth could work.
    I don't think your average Irish person give a sh*t about the environment though. All they want from our politicians is to create jobs and lower taxes and inscrease welfare, that's what gets votes. So I can't see anything changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I think the land would be healthier if more of it was wild. As noted before in this thread, we have the lowest forest coverage in Europe. When you look around the island none of it is untouched by man, bar a couple of national parks. We have no wilderness. I would like if some parts were "rewilded".
    Look at the damage we are doing to the land with the current population. Raw sewage being pumped into rivers, dumping all over the island. More population = more pollution.

That's not necessarily true, what you mean to say is : more badly behaving, poorly educated population = more pollution.

There is absolutely no reason that we couldn't have more nature and wilderness and still have a higher population.

If your logic held true then Ireland (with one of the lowest population densities in Europe) should be pristine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can't wait to see the Science and technology killed the dinosaurs thread because they still haven't made a time machine.

wexie wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true, what you mean to say is : more badly behaving, poorly educated population = more pollution.

There is absolutely no reason that we couldn't have more nature and wilderness and still have a higher population.

If your logic held true then Ireland (with one of the lowest population densities in Europe) should be pristine.

Yeah but the way we plan things here, or don't plan, and how we are building houses with no public transport an amenities and poor public transport, one off housing, so many things we are doing wrong and will continue to do so because many things are run poorly here. So more people will mean the country will be even more of a mess, unless we all suddenly start to govern the country a lot better, which won't happen. But anyway... population is going to shoot up here regardless.
    The best we can do as individuals is stop buying useless crap and reduce your footprint as much as you can.

Yeah but the way we plan things here, or don't plan, and how we are building houses with no public transport an amenities and poor public transport, one off housing, so many things we are doing wrong and will continue to do so because many things are run poorly here.

None of those are down to population levels though are they? In fact, you might argue that with a rising population perhaps some of those may end up being improved. Seems what are governments do best is firefighting crises (rather than preventing them) so maybe that's what's needed to see some changes?

The best we can do as individuals is stop buying useless crap and reduce your footprint as much as you can.

No argument from me there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,843 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Because:
    1. The planet's getting hotter and it may be impossible to reverse that.
    2. Good for England reducing their carbon emissions. When will they hit zero? The rest of the world? Not so much. And the IPCC's saying carbon emissions need to hit *zero* by 2050 in order to avoid breaking the 1.5 deg. C. 'red line'.
    Impossible in my view worldwide as long as population continues to grow until 2050. That's a mere 32 years from now, a generation. *And* that assumes the IPCC got it right. The science does evolve and 30 years is an awfully long time. Maybe the real number is 10 years. Or maybe it's 100. We'll see where we are 32 years from now. If 1.5C is actually 'too warm' (as the models do change), then what?
    3. As long as population keeps climbing, demand for food, water and other resources like energy will keep going up.

This isn't just a global warming discussion, it started as one based on extinction of animals due to human activity. More humans, more extinction - through environment change (need more space to live, cultivateable land for food, water for agriculture and humans, more resources spent on living and fighting, etc.) Pollution doesn't help, but I believe that loss of habitat is primary to loss of species diversity, and habitats lost to house, and feed humans.

Stop adding humans, save more animals.

One other thing not mentioned, but human involvement in ecosystems in order to 'preserve' animals, so far has shown many occurrences of it making things worse. The desert hold pupfish is a recent example, besides the yahoos that decided to invade the place, the scientists in charge mis-understanding that an incoming storm was going to be much more intense than they thought (because of...global warming), left some equipment around confident it was safe. Oopsies, it got washed into the tiny habitat and nearly wiped out the fish. They still might not survive, they're doing better than before they were preserved (to protect them from groundwater pumping being used to provide for more habitat for....humans.)

Really, stop adding humans and you'll have done more for the planet than anything else. Nor do you condemn the newly added humans to living in a hotter, more polluted and more desperate, less peaceful world.

As for your question about what's an ideal population - that's a tricky one - there's about 2.7 billion people impacted by some amount of water insecurity, and about 1 billion by food insecurity. Assuming the current arable land loss (about 30% in the last 40 years), with the magical 2050 goal and holding to the same food insecurity rate (13%) we're talking 1.2 billion people food insecure in 2050 if population continues to grow. Food insecurity and water insecurity overlap, since a lot of food insecurity and unrest come from droughts and failed harvests in the areas with the highest growth rates. I'd prefer to get food insecurity to zero, so howabout a population of 5.8 billion by 2050? Surely that's enough people! World population in 1960 was 3 billion, that 'feels' right but I'm being generous assuming there'll be enough food to have zero food insecurity. My number might be high.

• Advertisement

Igotadose wrote: »
    I'd prefer to get food insecurity to zero, so howabout a population of 5.8 billion by 2050? Surely that's enough people! World population in 1960 was 3 billion, that 'feels' right but I'm being generous assuming there'll be enough food to have zero food insecurity. My number might be high.

Considering the current world population is about 7.2 billion how do you propose we get down to 5.8 in the next 30 years?

Igotadose wrote: »
    Because:
    1. The planet's getting hotter and it may be impossible to reverse that.
    2. Good for England reducing their carbon emissions. When will they hit zero? The rest of the world? Not so much. And the IPCC's saying carbon emissions need to hit *zero* by 2050 in order to avoid breaking the 1.5 deg. C. 'red line'.
    Impossible in my view worldwide as long as population continues to grow until 2050. That's a mere 32 years from now, a generation. *And* that assumes the IPCC got it right. The science does evolve and 30 years is an awfully long time. Maybe the real number is 10 years. Or maybe it's 100. We'll see where we are 32 years from now. If 1.5C is actually 'too warm' (as the models do change), then what?
    3. As long as population keeps climbing, demand for food, water and other resources like energy will keep going up.
    I know all this, but as I said, population reduction is not conjectured to act fast enough to have an effect. I am aware the planet is getting hotter, if I thought it wasn't I'd simply be writing denial pieces. The ability to avoid the 2C limit is more reliant on conversion to alternate energy technologies because population reduction won't happen fast enough. Look at what Britain did, how could that have been done in that time space via population reduction without literally dropping a bomb.

You've just restated the problem and then reasserted your solution will work. Population can't reduce fast enough, conversion to alternate energy sources is the only thing that can act fast enough, which is why it is the major recommendation in most reports. This population reduction argument features far more on the internet than it does in actual scientific studies. And the things is, if we convert to alternate sources, especially fusion, in terms of carbon emissions it won't matter what the population is.

As I said, I would imagine few of the negative commenters here actually read the "60% animal population loss" report, just as deniers won't. You already argued about Britain without reading the statistics. Is it not possible that you are going on intuition rather than a reading of the scientific literature?

A relatively light introduction to the point I'm making from Scientific America:
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/birth-control-could-help-the-environment-but-not-quickly/

A heavier scientific analysis:
    http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2014/10/23/1410465111

Advertisement