Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Terrified of flying

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

The flight will go perfectly smoothly and totally uneventful. Bodice ripper will disembark in a state of complete calmness.

Then will meet some weirdly exotic and baffling fate involving hookers, drugs and flying spiders in Amsterdam and we will never hear of poor Bodice ripper again.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

d;ont watch the documentary on air france 447...

it actually made me nervous about flying.. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    Be sure to check the left phalange

I was talking to a friend of mine who's father is recently retired from Aer Rianta with early onset dementia , apparently his job was to check the phalanges and he kept forgetting to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has the OP landed yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,526 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Graces7 wrote: »
    Has the OP landed yet?

They'll land eventually, one way or the other :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Michael Crichton's "Airframe" is recommended reading.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Like you I was terrified of flying. Came on out of nowhere. Flying for years and then in the early 2000s I started to hate it.

Went to a hypnotist, who was more of a psychologist, and talked it all through. I started to fear flying just after I got married and my wife got pregnant. He pinpointed that a new sense of responsibility and awareness of my mortality were causing my anxiety about flying. Took a little while but now I love flying, fall asleep before the wheels go up, sleep for 8/9 hours on long haul. Actually really enjoy it now. I took over 130 flights last year, some of them on small prop planes. Doesn't bother me at all.

Still though, it is just a big metal tube flying through the air!! how the hell do they stay up there! :D

I think this happened to me. No issues until the kids arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

They'll land eventually, one way or the other :)

I think it's only called a landing if you can walk away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i wonder if theres some kind of exposure therapy lark where you can go and do a virtual reality simulation of flying, so that it captures the sensation of flying on a real plane, but you're not. might help.

• Advertisement

Robsweezie wrote: »
    i wonder if theres some kind of exposure therapy lark where you can go and do a virtual reality simulation of flying, so that it captures the sensation of flying on a real plane, but you're not. might help.

There may well be, but it's probably more expensive than just booking some Ryanair flights.

Of course flight simulators don't crash as such, there is that

wexie wrote: »
    There may well be, but it's probably more expensive than just booking some Ryanair flights.

Of course flight simulators don't crash as such, there is that

The difference between risk in a simulator and in a real plane (operated by modern nations) is smaller than you think. The greatest risk in each is injury getting into and out of the thing, and in the case of flying aircraft getting injured during turbulence when unseated or not having seat belt on.

The difference between risk in a simulator and in a real plane (operated by modern nations) is smaller than you think. The greatest risk in each is injury getting into and out of the thing, and in the case of flying aircraft getting injured during turbulence when unseated or not having seat belt on.

ah now, while I get your point on aircraft safety etc. etc. you can't tell me that there's been many people killed in flight simulator failures this century?

(was there?)

wexie wrote: »
    I think it's only called a landing if you can walk away from it.

They're f**ked in Lourdes Airport so.

Scrap the cap!

LirW wrote: »
    The odds of dying in a plane crash are still pretty effin low. Yes when it goes wrong it goes wrong big time but then again it's more likely you'll be wiped out on school run.

Crash = dead, Euromillions = more money than I could ever spend, pretty darn unrelated.

Actually survival in an air crash is greater in a crashed plane than many other vehicles. Take the example of the most recent air crash in notoriously dangerous Papua New Guinea the other day. The pilots didn’t even see the runway, saw nothing (should have gone around or diverted) the aircraft descended into the neRby sea instead. All but one survived. In fact most weren’t even injured, and in the aviation world there’s puzzlement and speculation (eg were they even seated or wearing belts) why a handful had broken bones and one died. So aircraft makes uncontrolled descent into sea and almost all walk off. Nowadays this is more normal than exceptional even when things go badly wrong. The real tragedies generally happen (in less safe flight operations) under two circumstances: flying blind into clouded terrain, and icing on wings which has not been dealt with properly in specific aircraft in specific flight conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

So, yeah, I organised to get to Amsterdam with boats and trains, but my boat was cancelled. My only choice was fly or don't go.

So now I am in the airport bar. Please don't leave me alone with my own thoughts...

have a read of Alan Carr's book on fear of flying - it'll help ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I used to be fine flying but a red eye from Chicago to Dublin where there was about an hour of ever so gentle shaking just shot my nerves because I was waiting for the shaking to progress to something much worse. Its not always the big bangs and violent turbulence that induces the fear of flying.

I found education helped a lot. Read up on the mechanics of flying and how normal turbulence actually is and the pilots point of view (lots of articles and videos out there). Now when I feel the plane rocking, I go into "logic" mode and I recall all the things actually going on- the pilot is no doubt assessing how long before radioing the ATC to see if they can go a bit lower for a more comfortable flight. Its not about danger, its about comfort, and I know that planes have been tested to withstand absolutely ferocious turbulence so mapping out what's ACTUALLY happening works for me to calm me down!

Edit: You have to be quick to get into Logic mode. Once panic hits, its extremely hard to stop terror filling your thoughts so practice your train of thoughts before you fly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Actually survival in an air crash is greater in a crashed plane than many other vehicles. Take the example of the most recent air crash in notoriously dangerous Papua New Guinea the other day. The pilots didn’t even see the runway, saw nothing (should have gone around or diverted) the aircraft descended into the neRby sea instead. All but one survived. In fact most weren’t even injured, and in the aviation world there’s puzzlement and speculation (eg were they even seated or wearing belts) why a handful had broken bones and one died. So aircraft makes uncontrolled descent into sea and almost all walk off. Nowadays this is more normal than exceptional even when things go badly wrong. The real tragedies generally happen (in less safe flight operations) under two circumstances: flying blind into clouded terrain, and icing on wings which has not been dealt with properly in specific aircraft in specific flight conditions.

Yeah, but that plane ended up in the lagoon, in shallow water. It was sitting on the bottom, yet the cabin was barely below the waterline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

The OP is either dead or buried to the balls in a hooker.

The OP is either dead or buried to the balls in a hooker.

Possibly even both.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is it only Amsterdam you are scared of flying to? LOL.

Did you get there safely?

Hope all went well.

Those who fly without a qualm would probably get a panic attack seeing a mouse or rat or a spider.

Know the sounds and the tilts, and what turbulence means. (nothing).

Always remember, the pilot and First Officer want to get there safely too, and will not do it if it is in any way dangerous, nor are they allowed to either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

So, yeah, I organised to get to Amsterdam with boats and trains, but my boat was cancelled. My only choice was fly or don't go.

So now I am in the airport bar. Please don't leave me alone with my own thoughts...

Have a few whiskies before you get on the flight. The added alcohol in your bloodstream will mean you’ll burn up quicker when the plane bursts into flames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Take a laxative before you get on the plane, you won't be worried about flying then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I died in a plane crash before and not a bother on me now. You'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

d;ont watch the documentary on air france 447...

it actually made me nervous about flying.. .

Yeah with the music, and the good dramatic acting ... jesus

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Dublin to Amsterdam is a very short flight - just a little over an hour. I’ve flown it many, many times. Listening to music helps. I hate the hassle of airports but generally love flying and always get a window seat where possible. Except for bad turbulence - I hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Pre 9 11 they used to bring scared passengers up to the cockpit.

I remember my granny being brought up on a flight once.

I went with her, pilots were lovely and really put her at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I love flying, the more flying the better...and a window seat.
    I know... John Denver was a prophet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Just man up and get on the plane please.

You might want to have a ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I know lots of people who are terrified of flying.

Apparently Lorazepam works really well. You can talk to your GP about it...

Another of these threads where the OP gets everyone involved etc then vanishes leaving us wondering.... like the wan who went into her garden shed and was never heard from again :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Another of these threads where the OP gets everyone involved etc then vanishes leaving us wondering.... like the wan who went into her garden shed and was never heard from again :eek:

He was probably sitting on the bar stool in his local pub when he wrote the OP.

ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,011 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Well OP, did you get there ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Take a look at flightradar.con and see how many planes are in the sky right now. Really puts things into perspective!

Also watch the beoing 747 stunt manoeuvre video. It is crazy to see what a passenger plane can do especially since for your trip it is just gonna go from a to b without messing around!

Another of these threads where the OP gets everyone involved etc then vanishes leaving us wondering....

Another Flight MH370

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

He's in Amsterdam with the lads, likely getting the leg over while high as a mother****ing kite. He won't be in a fit state to talk to anyone for a while.

Because lets admit it lads, 16 million people a year don't go to Amsterdam to look at Ann-Franks ****ing attic

Omackeral wrote: »
    Another Flight MH370

463016.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

CruelCoin wrote: »
    463016.jpg

*nerdy voice
    I think you'll find that that is a Boeing 747.

MH370 was a Boeing 777

*nerdy voice
    I think you'll find that that is a Boeing 747.

MH370 was a Boeing 777

I have a picture somewhere of the actual plane that went missing but i can't find it.
    This is what i get for improperly labelling my memes.

• Advertisement

I have a picture somewhere of the actual plane that went missing but i can't find it.
    This is what i get for improperly labelling my memes.

https://www.airliners.net/search?registrationActual=9M-MRO&display=detail

Appropriate.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Appropriate.

Wahey!

Because lets admit it lads, 16 million people a year don't go to Amsterdam to look at Ann-Franks ****ing attic

Took the Germans four years to find the place.

Even though there's signs for it f**king everywhere.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I SURVIVED! Sadly my phone decided it didn't care for the local networks, but we have reconciled.

I made it largely due to the kindness of a lovely lady from Belfast. I was in the window seat, she was on the aisle, and together we ruined the flight of a young Dutchman who was seated in the middle.

Just man up and get on the plane please.
    You might want to have a ****

I am female, and I was on a bar stool in the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Why is everyone thinking the OP is a dude? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure she's a she.

Glad you survived OP. :)

OP did you clap when the plane landed ?

OP did you clap when the plane landed ?

Did I ****. Before we left the gate the power cut out, and we sat there for an hour while they tried to start the plane. The captain came on with an almost offensively Dutch accent to tell us that a little bit in the tail which provides power while on the ground wasn't working, and that the power link to the terminal was also broken.. He said it was nothing to worry about, but I have seen enough Air Crash Investigation to know it's almost always some seemingly inconsequential thing that brings a plane down.

Did I ****. Before we left the gate the power cut out, and we sat there for an hour while they tried to start the plane. The captain came on with an almost offensively Dutch accent to tell us that a little bit in the tail which provides power while on the ground wasn't working, and that the power link to the terminal was also broken.. He said it was nothing to worry about, but I have seen enough Air Crash Investigation to know it's almost always some seemingly inconsequential thing that brings a plane down.

what they call a baptism of fire! Well done..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Cheers to that lady then. Distraction won't just get you through a flight.
    It'll get you through life itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement