Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyrrelstown area

Options
  • 16-01-2018 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Been looking at houses in tyrrelstown does anybody know much about the area are the schools good does there be much traffic on the way into town in the mornings any insight would be greatly appreciated 3-bedroom home seem to be very well priced almost as cheap as Finglas

According to the price register a three bedroom house is going for as little as 220 which appears to be very good value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I looked a while in Tyrellstown and there were a few things that turned me off. The building quality isn't great. The layout of the whole thing is a nightmare and you only have the handful of shops there and beside that you're quite remote from pretty much anywhere.
    It lies in a flightpath and during one viewing on a pretty nice day, they had windows open and it was ridiculously loud. Like really really loud.
    And last but not least, there seems to be a problem with youth gangs there.
    While you can certainly have some value there, you get it for a reason. I'd buy somewhere else, simply because I found it to be a pretty sad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

There were lots of properties for sale in here in 2017 at very competitive prices, but I suspect as a result of central banking rules making it more difficult for second time buyers there are only a couple of 3 bed properties for sale in Tyrrelstown at the moment. The area has had its fair share of bad publicity over the last couple of years and over exaggerated reports of gangs in the area running amok have not helped, but overall it is a nice area to live in. Its close proximity to the city centre make it a more convenient location compared to other parts of Dublin 15 such as Clonsilla and Clonee and depending on what time of the morning you are talking about a 45-50 minute commute into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Wouldn't go near it. I looked at it when first built and ratings weren't great then. Very isolated. Had to go to visit friend there recently and she was in tears with tales of gangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

One of the worst locations in Dublin 15 to live...stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I spent 7 years in Tyrrelstown ... was fine when we moved in back in 2005 .. bit isolated but cheap and looked fairly OK.

once you have a car access to anywhere was fine.

However .. once child number two came along we decided we didn't want to raise our children there .. maybe snobbery maybe an over reaction to some of the antisocial issues that were on the rise; but as soon as we could leave we did.

While I was there I was involved in a lot of the local groups / clubs and had quite a few friends in the area ... who all seemed to move on as soon as they had children. So it isn't the worst place in the world but the reasonable prices reflect the desirability of the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    One of the worst locations in Dublin 15 to live...stay away.

You've been called out on your nonsense several times already on this this week alone by different people. And yet you still persist with your rubbish.

OP, go visit it yourself at different times of the day to get a feel. It's a large area and so obviously each part is different than the other, some roads are pretty quite with little passing traffic, others will be busier as people use it to get from one side to the other. Similarly some will be mostly families/owner occupiers, others by renters, often depending on the house type by the looks of things.

It's got all the amenities you could want, several schools, shops etc. Public transport is served by bus into the city centre which is regular enough, I believe there's also one to the Blanchardstown Centre which way not be as regular. Oddly enough I don't think there's one to Blanchardstown Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

I went up today on the main road that runs through it , some houses had windows smashed and another seemed to be bordered up with railings was very strange

This was not there before. Maybe just some bank repossessions maybe I am looking at things with rose covered glasses

I will take some more visits

There's one house that's at the first entrance like that, has been for a while, something odd with the property and owner. They were one of the first houses to be built and the general perception is that the next entrance, at the shops, is a nicer part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

ThisRegard wrote:
    You've been called out on your nonsense several times already on this this week alone by different people. And yet you still persist with your rubbish.

Give over would ya prices reflect the desirability of the area.

Corduff probably only worse area in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you're there I'd also suggest you stop and take a walk at a time where you'd have a lot of flight traffic to get a feel for the noise that comes from the planes. You can find out that way if you could live with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Tyrrelstown in 1 word is a hole.

The reality is that it is a ghetto.

One poster asserted Corduff is worse than it - it is not, by a long shot.

Another has asserted it is a better location than say, Clonsilla for access to the city centre...that is a outright lie.

IMO, avoid buying there.

I meant to pick up in this. Clonsilla has good bus and rail links into town. Corduff has too. (I live in Waterville so get the bus from there). Whereas I wouldn't necessarily choose to live in Corduff it doesn't seem that bad...it did have a bad reputation years ago.

I happened to pass by Tyrellstown last evening...it is exactly what previous poster said...a ghetto. Had to go to a meeting in the hotel and it was a dive.

So look elsewhere!

Just spotted on the journal.ie about teenagers assaulting taxi drivers in Tyrellstown

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

I live very near Tyrrelstown, It has a crack cocaine epidemic going on at the moment.
    Apart from that- I still wouldn't live there after staying in the hotel for 3 weeks during refurb work. It has a feel of a village that sprung up overnight, it feels 2D, like the "Truman Show".
    Huntstown, Clonsilla or even Hartstown are all much better served by bus / rail, and are mostly mature estates.

jim salter wrote: »
    The reality is that it is a ghetto.
    amtc wrote: »
    it is exactly what previous poster said...a ghetto.
    TresGats wrote: »
    It has a crack cocaine epidemic going on at the moment.

Seriously guys, WTF is wrong with you, are you simpletons, trolls, racists, easily triggered by the fact there was an issue with a group who happened to be black? Yes, I bet that's the one. Have you got bored with the AH thread?

The reality is I'm actually there regularly, for a number of reason, know the area better than any of you ever will, deal with kids from the area, so I know I'm not the person who is talking out their hole. So it can only mean that it's you morons.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Seriously guys, WTF is wrong with you, are you simpletons, trolls, racists, easily triggered by the fact there was an issue with a group who happened to be black? Yes, I bet that's the one. Have you got bored with the AH thread?

The reality is I'm actually there regularly, for a number of reason, know the area better than any of you ever will, deal with kids from the area, so I know I'm not the person who is talking out their hole. So it can only mean that it's you morons.

I'm not talking out of my hole either pal. I lived there long enough to know what it is so STFU.

Where did i mention anyone's skin colour? You're the one making the issue here. The other poster simply stated a fact - a group of black youths are causing problems in the area.

Question for YOU - triggered much?

The OP's question was "what is Tyrrelstown like" -- Answer : It's a ghetto. Don't move there, it's a hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

ThisRegard wrote: »

What are you on about? I'm talking about a huge upswing in crack cocaine by WHITE people. I wouldn't like to live anywhere near a place where crackheads are roaming around - they put heroin addicts in the ha'penny place.

I haven't a clue what colour people's skin is nor do i care...but the link from the newspapers i gave was about the area....and not a place I'd like to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

amtc wrote: »
    I meant to pick up in this. Clonsilla has good bus and rail links into town. Corduff has too. (I live in Waterville so get the bus from there). Whereas I wouldn't necessarily choose to live in Corduff it doesn't seem that bad...it did have a bad reputation years ago.

I happened to pass by Tyrellstown last evening...it is exactly what previous poster said...a ghetto. Had to go to a meeting in the hotel and it was a dive.

So look elsewhere!

Not sure about the bus service from Clonsilla but the train service at rush hour is a joke (they dont call it the Calcutta express for nothing) and if you are going into town by car then it is much quicker if you are coming from Tyrrelstown, sure most of the traffic passing through the Damastown/Tyrrelstown roundabout is coming from the Clonsilla, Ongar and Clonee areas.

I have previously lived in Clonsilla and Mulhuddart as well as Tyrrelstown and i can safely say the latter is much quieter with less anti social problems.

Some of the statements being made about ghetto gangs and crack cocaine epidemics here are hilarious, a similar ridiculous story appeared in the media a few days ago about the Hells angels going to war with african gangs in Tyrrelstown is just usual tabloid bulls**t, you would think we are living in Los Angeles out here.

OP im sure you will come to your own conclusions but i wouldnt go making decisions on any of the nonsense being spouted here.

• Advertisement

Not sure about the bus service from Clonsilla but the train service at rush hour is a joke (they dont call it the Calcutta express for nothing) and if you are going into town by car then it is much quicker if you are coming from Tyrrelstown, sure most of the traffic passing through the Damastown/Tyrrelstown roundabout is coming from the Clonsilla, Ongar and Clonee areas.

I have previously lived in Clonsilla and Mulhuddart as well as Tyrrelstown and i can safely say the latter is much quieter with less anti social problems.

Some of the statements being made about ghetto gangs and crack cocaine epidemics here are hilarious, a similar ridiculous story appeared in the media a few days ago about the Hells angels going to war with african gangs in Tyrrelstown is just usual tabloid bulls**t, you would think we are living in Los Angeles out here.

OP im sure you will come to your own conclusions but i wouldnt go making decisions on any of the nonsense being spouted here.

The transport links from Clonsilla are far superior than the Tyrrelstown and saying that Clonsilla at rush hour is a joke (almost alluding to it being like the trains in India) is a straw man argument. All stations on the commuter and DART lines at rush hour are very busy.

As I have previously stated, I have lived in Tyrrelstown and I now live in the Clonsilla area and (the line highlighted in bold) is not true...in my experience.

I don't know where you got the Hells Angles bullshít but I didn't hear anything or see anything of the sort.

In my opinion (which I am entitled to) Tyrrelstown is a ghetto

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

Hi,
    I lived in Tyrrelstown from 2002 up until December last year. Moved into property in 2002 and moved again twice within the estate over the following 15 years. Great place to live great neighbors and community. The media have given the place a bad rap to say the least and the people saying "stay away" don't have a clue.
    Good modern schools both primary and secondary, shops are good staff very nice. Always liked the Hotel clean and tidy a little dated but staff very nice, food and drink good.
    it's multi cultural, many different nationals most are very nice and are just trying to get on and do well for themselves and their families. Very much the same as any working class area in Dublin.
    We never had any issues no problems really, cheeky teenagers nicked green bin and that's it.
    The crack cocaine stuff is total rubbish.
    The properties we lived in were well built and insulated and we never had any problems. We always liked the houses and layout.

Go up walk around have a look and see if you like it! Do the same wherever you think you want to live.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Mostly grand. Some parts becoming kips.

Huge so a lot of variation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jim Ellis

Thestart wrote: »
    Hi,
    I lived in Tyrrelstown from 2002 up until December last year. Moved into property in 2002 and moved again twice within the estate over the following 15 years. Great place to live great neighbors and community. The media have given the place a bad rap to say the least and the people saying "stay away" don't have a clue.
    Good modern schools both primary and secondary, shops are good staff very nice. Always liked the Hotel clean and tidy a little dated but staff very nice, food and drink good.
    it's multi cultural, many different nationals most are very nice and are just trying to get on and do well for themselves and their families. Very much the same as any working class area in Dublin.
    We never had any issues no problems really, cheeky teenagers nicked green bin and that's it.
    The crack cocaine stuff is total rubbish.
    The properties we lived in were well built and insulated and we never had any problems. We always liked the houses and layout.

Go up walk around have a look and see if you like it! Do the same wherever you think you want to live.
    Best of luck.

Yeah sure everythings grand. The gardai/media/internet/etc are making up all the escalating gang activity stories in a conspiracy to bring down the good name of the area.
    Get your head out of the sand mate, I know it's difficult to accept but you live in a kip.
    Obviously nobody living/from there is going to agree because they don't want their houses and apartments becoming worthless, or them+their families to be seen as being from a ****ty area.

I think it's disingenuous to mislead people thinking of buying in the area (who are unfamiliar with the area) into believing it's a great place to live. It's not. and For anyone thinking of moving there, a quick google search will provide all the info you need to make your decision. There's a lot worse going on than green bins being stolen.

Advertisement