Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the narcissism of RTE employees getting out of hand?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How are the likes of Vogue Williams, Louise o Neill and Alison Spittle allowed to do a show and the constant use of them and vacuous nobodies like Roz Purcell, Amanda Brunker , Rosanna Davidson etc on chat shows...anywhere else they wouldn't get on a transition years audio project unless they were hosting it

Not ignoring the rest but this one has me all sorts of confused..

Is she a winner of a diversity award or something?

Apparently she's a comedian. And is deserving of her own shows. I simply do not get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I don't mind Donal Skehan to be honest. He's definitely not the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭TheDavester

All women.. do you think that maybe.. it's those fucking WOMEN WHO ARE THE GODDAMN PROBLEM?

Ah here’s some men for ya who irritate the hell out of me - callum best, Brendan o carrol, the Kavanagh blogger fella (I suppose any blogger /‘influencer’type male or female) ,Cian twomey has been popping up, Andrew maxwell, Al Porter, Jason Byrne, Karl Spain, and two female I forgot - Louise mcsharry and Rosemary McCabe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭chrissb8

RTE is a little bubble that would burst if any real talent walked through the door. They'd realise how utterly crap they are as a whole. Just a shame most talent probably looks at RTE and thinks why even bother. Nepotistic, pat on the back culture, help each other culture.

Why Vogue Williams has a show is beyond me. She did an episode where she visited some sugar daddy's. Of course she had to voice her opinion to them how she thought it was wrong etc. Is she f*****g clueless? It's not about her and what she perceives as wrong. It's about giving us an insight into that world as impartially as possible. Just summed up RTE for me. Self absorbed, self praising nonsense. That extends to most of their shows as well.

Donal Skehan, can't make a bowl of soup, literally there's a video of it floating around online of a chef commentating on how undercooked it was. Ryan Tubirdy, not the worst and seems to have grown into the role but no self awareness. Tries too hard at times to emulate a suave laid back host. Try being laid back instead of trying to be laid back and then it will show naturally.

Linda Martin. I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

chrissb8 wrote: »

Linda Martin. I rest my case.
    Posh totty yes please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

You never see joe blogs off the street getting a gig there. Everyone is either there permanently with years or has some back story which involves being in the public eye in one way or another. Comedian ,singer, writer, journalist, academic, public representatives.
    The only time the public are given air time is on the likes of Claire Byrne live. Quizzes on radio or talent shows. The LLS rarely has audience participation anymore.
    No, the great unwashed must listen to the select few who are chosen to give their expert opinions on all types of sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

"getting" ... ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

So good, now the comiteee want Revenue to collect the TV licence :

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1128/923283-tv_licence/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Well, if they want to destroy rural post offices AND annoy the hell out of everyone, that's one way to go.

Definite vote winner there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,809 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

flaneur wrote: »
    Well, if they want to destroy rural post offices AND annoy the hell out of everyone, that's one way to go.

Definite vote winner there.

Well, An Post don't do a great job in collection tbf.

Maybe if people don't want to pay for RTE, but still value their news, perhaps it should be stripped down to a news/current affairs only thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

gctest50 wrote: »
    So good, now the comiteee want Revenue to collect the TV licence :

https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/1128/923283-tv_licence/

And we should find a way to thank them on election day. Sending them an appreciative email (click on name) may help them gauge our views on the matter:

Deputies: Timmy Dooley Fianna Fáil James Lawless Fianna Fáil Michael Lowry Rural Independent Group Hildegarde Naughton Fine Gael Eamon Ryan Social Democrats - Green Party Group Bríd Smith Solidarity - People Before Profit Brian Stanley Sinn Féin Senators: Terry Leyden Fianna Fáil Tim Lombard Fine Gael Michael McDowell Independent Group Joe O'Reilly Fine Gael

So our future holds an ever increasing television license fee for the remainder of our lives (or until we reach 75), which will lead to ever increasing insane salaries for the untalented deluded staff. This quango needs to go or made survive like the rest of us ........... on their own merits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I've never understood why they don't raise extra funds by monetising their own resources. I'd imagine with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc, the box set market is lower than ever. Why not have all of their old content online where it can be accessed via a paid subscription? If people want to watch old episodes of Glenroe, Love/Hate, Reeling in the Years, Bachelors Walk, Hardy Bucks or whatever else, they paid per item or via subscription?

Seems so glaringly obvious to me that there must be a reason it wouldn't work, but it would make a nice change from them standing with their hands out all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pat Kenny apparently talented, even bigger shocker!

Actually kenny was quite good at serious stuff, but cra* at light entertainment.

Someone mentioned Gay Byrne and Mike Murphy and they were pretty damn good in their day.
    Of course Gaybo was given slots for shows over last few years because he had once again blown all his dosh.
    The very RTE thing to do.

Charlie Bird is now being touted for shows so I guess his financial well being is so good either. :rolleyes:
    Alison Spittle. 'Nuff said. I can't imagine any other country where this painfully unfunny 'comedian' would be given her own show.

Ehh who the feck is she ?

No, don't tell me I don't want to know.
    It's probably someone that sooner or later will grate my ears when I happen to twist the dial to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

The ultimate quango.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I've never understood why they don't raise extra funds by monetising their own resources. I'd imagine with Netflix, Amazon, Hulu etc, the box set market is lower than ever. Why not have all of their old content online where it can be accessed via a paid subscription? If people want to watch old episodes of Glenroe, Love/Hate, Reeling in the Years, Bachelors Walk, Hardy Bucks or whatever else, they paid per item or via subscription?

Seems so glaringly obvious to me that there must be a reason it wouldn't work, but it would make a nice change from them standing with their hands out all the time.

Presumably because doing so would actually involve work. And when you have a culture of entitlement and a cushy job with scant accountability why would you want to bring all of that on yourself I suppose.

I think the culture in RTE was best summed up for me during the summer when I happened to be in a room that was showing the Miriam O'Callaghan show. The first 30 minutes of the show was dedicated to the Riverdance Summer School with a performance and interview with some of the girls. Now the school itself was circa €300 or so for a course. Fair enough you think. But then you realise Moya Doherty, the Riverdance prouder, is the chairman of the RTE board. That arouses serious suspicion.

While we can easily mock the likes of the Late Late Show for raiding the canteen on a Friday afternoon for guests to appear on the show as an example of quid pro quo i.e. you get to promote yourself and we fill some time and this being indicative of the malaise in RTE, there is also the more invidious example above where those on the board themselves are likely beneficiaries of similar time filling self promotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Alison Spittle. 'Nuff said. I can't imagine any other country where this painfully unfunny 'comedian' would be given her own show.

Think her talent lies in her writing. I'm watching the show on RTE 2 at the moment where she also appears. I think she co-wrote and there are very funny moments in the few episodes I've watched so far. Give the kid a break will ye and let her find her niche.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

LewisR wrote: »
    RTÉ as a whole is summed up by one person. Lottie Ryan. Talentless and gormless. Stealing a wage from the genuinely talented people looking to break into TV/radio.

I'd do 6 months in Mountjoy before I'd hand over money for the license fee.

That wan was on the front of the RTE Guide I noticed. Did RTE give her a job purely because her dad worked for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

That wan was on the front of the RTE Guide I noticed. Did RTE give her a job purely because her dad worked for them?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Nepotism I know of (there must be more):

Gerry/Lottie Ryan
    Sean/Eileen Dunne
    Mary/Lucy Kennedy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

quintana76 wrote: »
    Yes.

Does she have a show or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kivaro wrote:
    And we should find a way to thank them on election day. Sending them an appreciative email (click on name) may help them gauge our views on the matter:

Of say they would be happy to not fund RTE so that there is no prime time investigates that has exposed quite a lot of scandals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

topper75 wrote: »

Gerry/Lottie Ryan
    Sean/Eileen Dunne
    Mary/Lucy Kennedy

The absolute worst I've seen was on Primetime.

A few years ago, this Dublin Councillor kept popping up on Primetime chatting about different National issues, I saw him at least half a dozen times...I thought it was very odd that a lowly Councillor was getting this kind of priceless national exposure....

The councillor was Jim O'Callaghan, now front bench spokesman for FF....brother of Miriam....

And nobody in any media outlet batted an eyelid.....we have no standards in media...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

LewisR wrote: »
    RTÉ as a whole is summed up by one person. Lottie Ryan. Talentless and gormless. Stealing a wage from the genuinely talented people looking to break into TV/radio.

I'd do 6 months in Mountjoy before I'd hand over money for the license fee.

Dont forget Blathnaid Treacy- she was the baby in Glenroe. Which apparently grants you full immunity from unemployment forever. Was she affected by the closure of TwoTube? In her hole. Shes sorted for life working for RTE while all her co stars were thrown on the scrapheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I haven't had a tv since 2003, I only watch RTE in the pub for an international, soccer or rugby. Pat Rabitte was on our local radio station today, trying to defend the proposed increase to the TV license charge.. I don't know when they plan to implement it, but its on the cards.

In fairness to the program host, he put Pat Rabitte on the spot a couple of times with points made by callers to the program... he proceeded to list out the programs that were on today on RTE1 television.

9am - Casualty

9:50 - The Doctors

10:45 - Dr Phil

11:40 - Shortland Street

12:10 - Doctors

12:45 - Telly Bingo

13:00 - News

13:30 - Neighbours

13:55 - Eastenders

Eastenders is on again at 7:30 followed by Fair City followed by Desperate Housewives

One caller to the program said that there are so many repeats on RTE that they felt like photocopying their TV license and sending it in as payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Gerry/Lottie Ryan
    Sean/Eileen Dunne
    Mary/Lucy Kennedy

You sure Maru Kennedy is related to Lucy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

myshirt wrote: »
    This Donal Skehan guy, who the f#ck is he?

For a long time before he was a celebrity chef, he was a man who would try his hand at anything and who RTE would readily give the platform.

Why?

Allegedly, he has relations working/employed There!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Gerry/Lottie Ryan
    Sean/Eileen Dunne
    Mary/Lucy Kennedy

I don't think those two Kennedys are related.
    There are plenty of other examples though.
    Niall Cogley, Samantha McCaughren are two I can think off at the top of my head.
    There are loads more in background roles;producers,managers etc.
    Six figure salaries are not restricted to presenters.
    Although Nicky Byrne's €250,000 a year rankles.
    Donal Skehan's relentless promotion is puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Hello Secret Producer Dude!!

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And nobody in any media outlet batted an eyelid.....we have no standards in media...

There is major backscratching going on between RTE and the Irish political system.

RTE should be abolished. I'd say 90% of the population would agree.
    I would support TG4 and other RTE programs that I like via a subscription service.

• Advertisement

Nothing against the guy but it seems strange that Nicky Byrne got a gig paying 200k a year at (unprofitable and more-unpopular-than-they-would-have-you-believe) 2fm, having not worked in radio before (as far as i know?). What a lifeline he was given there seeing as a huge proportion of former boyband members etc. sink into a unenviable "has-been" position when the band finishes or ends up with no purpose/status in life etc - instead he has a career in the media layed out for him on 4 grand a week, even for him that's a sweet deal.

Advertisement