Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Photography :-)

Options
  • 01-05-2016 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Im looking into birth photography, as i have developed as a photographer i have noticed that i get the most out of shooting children/babies and often get better results, not saying that i don't enjoy other types of photography. I'm just wondering how anyone might get started in birth photography since the hospitals in Ireland only allow one person in the room, so its home births, how am i going to find a women who wants a home birth and also wants someone to photograph the most intimate event of her life.?
    I understand that i would have to be discrete, practically invisible. Also feel i would have to get to know the women before she gives birth, have some trust built.
    Anyone know of anyone who is interested, please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Professionally? Sounds like you'd have to charge an awful lot given the extended 'getting to know you' time.

As a hobby? Eeeeuuuuuwwwwww! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PinkPony

endacl wrote: »
    Professionally? Sounds like you'd have to charge an awful lot given the extended 'getting to know you' time.

As a hobby? Eeeeuuuuuwwwwww! :eek:

Good point, how much could i, would i charge :-/ ? Or do what all photgraphers hate and not charge until a proven record is established.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,232 ✭✭✭✭endacl

PinkPony wrote: »
    Good point, how much could i, would i charge :-/ ? Or do what all photgraphers hate and not charge until a proven record is established.

How long is a piece of string?

If you're not charging, you'd be giving up an aaaaaawful lot of your time just to establish a relationship with a small pool of parents. What do you do with this relationship once the event is over? As a 'job' it strikes me as a mad idea, especially as there are so many other photography avenues available. As a project, not my thing, but I'm sure there are prospective parents out there who might be into it...

Not charge? If you're competent, charge. Those who work for free will never be idle. Value your time and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep Foundation - https://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/

This organisation arrange for photographers to shoot family images of parents with their stillborn or deceased children, to provide a visual memory of a very brief moment.
    It's a tough ask for any photographer to do. I thought about doing this long and hard but ultimately I bottled it, I'd not be capable of remaining detached enough to concentrate on shooting the photographs. However it might be something you would consider volunteering for if you think that your skills are good enough to provide a little solace at a painful time.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

OldGoat wrote: »

This organisation arrange for photographers to shoot family images of parents with their stillborn or deceased children, to provide a visual memory of a very brief moment.
    It's a tough ask for any photographer to do. I thought about doing this long and hard but ultimately I bottled it, I'd not be capable of remaining detached enough to concentrate on shooting the photographs. However it might be something you would consider volunteering for if you think that your skills are good enough to provide a little solace at a painful time.
    You have to pay a fee to join this group which I find strange and I think it may be run by an american group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    You have to pay a fee to join this group which I find strange and I think it may be run by an american group

one off fee of less than 9 euro, and they give their reasons here (basically someone has to pay for the website, etc etc):
    https://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/reason-for-application-fee/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

May be of interest to you op

Fstoppers article

Four Birth Photographers Who Capture the Glory of Motherhood

https://fstoppers.com/documentary/four-birth-photographers-who-capture-glory-motherhood-129108

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

OldGoat wrote: »

I have 2 close friends who have worked with this organisation, its a truly amazing organisation. Both of them has stopped working with them as they couldn't handle it emotionally, Like you, I considered it and decided I couldn't do it.. Here is a link that sums it up, and my RESPECT to those that can do it.

https://www.nowilaymedowntosleep.org/parent-newsletters/angie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1 frances07

Hi
    There's an Irish homebirth group on facebook- Home Birth Community of Ireland- You can't advertise a service directly on the page- but they have a file with home birth related business that you could ask to be added to.
    I had a friend who gave birth in hospital recently and she had a doula who took some amazing photos! Such amazing thing to capture!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

pixbyjohn wrote: »

The Irish organisation is run parallel but seperately to HQ in the US. We have our own volunteers, coordinators and even our own Bank Account for donations. The volunteer photographers pay about €20 per year to be part of it - and we're always looking for more, especially in the Dublin area and especially in the summer months with people on holidays.

• Advertisement
Advertisement