Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could you handle a polyamory relationship

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Not much info to give that I have not given multiple times on the forum before. I am 11ish years as the M in an MFF relationship now.

The girls titled it a "Truple". And except for it being 3 people and not 2 - we are pretty much the same as a "couple" in every other way. Pretty much all the same rules and expectations and dynamics you would expect of a couple.

As you can see from the posts just above mine however - there is a misconception that it is the same thing as an open relationship or sleeping around. That is something else though - not what we do and not - I think - what the word polyamory means.

If anyone has a link to it that would be nice - always interested to follow the current thinking on it for obvious reasons. Or if you can Drop Box it and share a link with me or whatever.

So, which is your favourite and how handy is it to always have a baby sitter and is having 2 mother in laws a pain?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I have a friend whose one and only concern around safe sex was not getting pregnant. She got a coil in last year and basically went "Huzzah, no more barrier methods for me!" and has had a lot of casual sex since. She has absolutely no fear of STIs whatsoever and I literally cannot get my head around it. We've had so many arguments about it that we've pretty much had to agree to just not discuss it anymore for the sake of our friendship.

She was having serious womb/cycle/pain issues last year (hence the coil) and was in and out of the gynaecologist I don't know how many times, but when I suggested an STI screening might be worth doing, she scoffed at the idea. She's never, ever had a test. I find that absolutely crazy.

And she really needs to fear them. I studied a biological field in college and the series of lectures we had on STIs have been burned on my brain. The main thing that shocked me was the stats. HIV is rare (though climbing) but all the other STIs are just so much more common than you’d think. Really bloody common. And our lecturer did not hold back on graphic photos of infected gentalia. If your friend was at these lectures, she wouldn’t be so blasé.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

And she really needs to fear them. I studied a biological field in college and the series of lectures we had on STIs have been burned on my brain. The main thing that shocked me was the stats. HIV is rare (though climbing) but all the other STIs are just so much more common than you’d think. Really bloody common. And our lecturer did not hold back on graphic photos of infected gentalia. If your friend was at these lectures, she wouldn’t be so blasé.

Fair play to your lecturer. These things need to be talked about and graphic images shown in schools.

There was a 6% increase in STIs in Ireland this year. In this era of casual dating and Tinder, you would think that people would take even more precautions than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Fair play to your lecturer. These things need to be talked about and graphic images shown in schools.

There was a 6% increase in STIs in Ireland this year. In this era of casual dating and Tinder, you would think that people would take even more precautions than before.

good news is that appears this increase is not due to polyamorists in Ireland - cause looking at this thread, their number is insignificant (close to zero percent).

-also note that I am assuming the person referred to at post 238 is monogamish and not poly. if my assumption is wrong, keen to hear about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

mvl wrote: »
    I am assuming the person referred to at post 238 is moogamish and not poly. if my assumption is wrong, keen to hear about it :)

She's single and hooking up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

And he wasn’t even scaremongering. I had him for various lecture modules and he was always very measured. But also very forthright!

That 6% stat doesn’t surprise me at all. :( People are thicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

I wouldn't like polyamory but more to do with the fact I find having a relationship tough work . It would be over whelming managing it with more than 1 other.

I'd rather have an open relationship or swinging where it was fun without the commitment.

Apologies I was out of the country for a week :)
    SafeSurfer wrote: »
    So, which is your favourite and how handy is it to always have a baby sitter and is having 2 mother in laws a pain?

I don't have a favourite. Then again I do not have a favourite in many things. If people ask me what my fave food or film or fruit or car or book or whatever is I seem to rarely be able to answer. I know all the ones I like - but I do not tend to rank them in terms of better and worse and favourites.

I do not compare them in that way basically. I basically love them both and wouldn't be without either of them.

Economies of scale are definitely a benefit - including in child care and extended family. I get on well with their mothers/families these days (was ropey as hell in the beginning as you might imagine). But extra grand parents is always useful. We have a once monthly house party - and the kids get farmed out to one set or another on those weekends :)

Advertisement